+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ArcGIS License server problem

Joseph Lawrence
    Answers Provided

Default ArcGIS License server problem

Hi, New to the forums and I installed my trial version of ArcGIS just fine, and it had been working fine. Today I attempted to open the program, and got a pop up.

It says; Provide your license server administrator with the following information:

That's it. Nothing under it, just blank.

Attachment 13711
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Arc.png‎
Views:	99
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	13712  

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcGIS License server problem

Joseph,

With your trial version, it is unlikely that you make any use of the License Manager. Suspect this is just a poorly thought out dialog thrown by a faulting ArcGIS FlexNet Publisher module.

Suggest you simply open the ArcGIS Administrator panel and review that the Desktop panel still shows as set to a ArcEditor (Single Use) seat. Adjust that if necessary. Then check the Availability panel--should show the same ArcEditor (Single Use) and display the features as available and authorized.

If not, post back with screen shots of what you show on these three panels of ArcGIS Administrator (root ArcGIS --> Desktop --> and Availability).

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Joseph Lawrence
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by vsfoote View Post
    Joseph,

With your trial version, it is unlikely that you make any use of the License Manager. Suspect this is just a poorly thought out dialog thrown by a faulting ArcGIS FlexNet Publisher module.

Suggest you simply open the ArcGIS Administrator panel and review that the Desktop panel still shows as set to a ArcEditor (Single Use) seat. Adjust that if necessary. Then check the Availability panel--should show the same ArcEditor (Single Use) and display the features as available and authorized.

If not, post back with screen shots of what you show on these three panels of ArcGIS Administrator (root ArcGIS --> Desktop --> and Availability).

Stuart
    Stuart,

Thank you for your response! As you have suggested, i have checked and looked. It seems everything was in order, unless I am mistaken. Take a look and let me know if something is wrong.

Click image for larger version

Name:	root.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	13714

Name:	Desktop.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	13715

Name:	Availability.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	13716

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Joseph,

OK, it looks like your FlexNet Publisher Trusted Storage license cache is acting up. Although I would have expected you to receive an "Untrusted" error from FlexNet Publisher instead of that blank error.

So, it looks like you installed on March 30th. A fresh 60-day trial license activation would not have expired yet. Did you by chance have to "reinstall" from an earlier load, but not clear (i.e. deauthorize) the FNP Trusted Storage cache?

For now, have a look in the C:\Program Data\FLEXnet folder, what "Date Modifed" values are showing for the ARCGIS_xxxxxxxx_tsf.data TrustedStorage cache files, also the data_backup.00x files?

Status will tell you a bit:
    if they are all missing, your FNP Trusted Storage has been corrupted.
    if they have been modified since your 3/30/2012 installation/activation-Trusted Storage has been corrupted.
    if they predate 3/30/2012, and yesterday by more than 60 days (i.e. you'd reinstalled) they've likely expired.

If the 60 days has expired, your trial is up. You'll need to make other arrangements with Esri.

But since you probably still have time remaining, you will need to try to "repair" the FNP Trusted Storage cache, releasing the seat locally and from the Esri Licensing Servers at Redlands.

These two Esri KB articles 38095 and 39552 have some tidbits on the mechanism. The only rub is how the 60-day trial authorization numbers are handled on Esri's license servers--the evaluation authorizations get treated a little differently for timeout, rearm and in your case repair--e.g. you won't be able to and would have to obtain a new valid evaluation authorization code from Esri.

Be sure you have an active Internet connection, and that you can access SSL/TSL services (i.e. https) from a web browser.

Then from the ArcGIS Administrator --> Desktop select the "Deauthorize" button. You should see an exchange between your system and Esri's License Servers as each component is deauthorized.

Return to the C:\Program Data\FLEXnet folder, if they are still present rename or move the ARCGIS_xxxxxxxx_tsf.data and backup files, leave the folder intact.

I'd probably reboot. Then relaunch ArcGIS Administrator and attempt to Authorize from the Desktop panel "Authorize now..." button. Work thorough the dialogs and enter the same EVAxxxxxxxxx code that you'd used before. If it runs to completion, check the Availability panel again and see if it now shows Yes for the Authorized and date values for the Expires columns--should have picked up a date 60-days from the original activation ~ 29 May 2012.

Post back if that is unclear or if you try it and are still stuck.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 04-21-2012 at 03:27 PM.

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Joseph,

Another question before you start the "repair", had you installed any software recently that might be using FlexNet Publisher? Adobe, AutoDesk, Safesoft FME for example.

Take a moment and have a look in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FlexNet Publisher folder. There should be a FNPLicensingService.exe and an fnp_registrations.xml

Is the date for the fnp_registrations.xml more recent than 30 April 2012?

Open the fnp_registrations.xml with a text editor. There should be a set of <Publisher> stanzas for ARCGIS.
    Code:
    <Publisher>
    <Name>ARCGIS</Name>
    <Products>
    <Product>ARCGIS</Product>
    </Products>
    </Publisher>
    Are the stanzas there? If not another program installation could have caused the problem. You might try inserting the stanzas back into the xml. But if that all looks good, proceed with the repair as above.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 04-21-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Joseph Lawrence
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by vsfoote View Post
    Joseph,

Another question before you start the "repair", had you installed any software recently that might be using FlexNet Publisher? Adobe, AutoDesk, Safesoft FME for example.

Take a moment and have a look in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FlexNet Publisher folder. There should be a FNPLicensingService.exe and an fnp_registrations.xml

Is the date for the fnp_registrations.xml more recent than 30 April 2012?

Open the fnp_registrations.xml with a text editor. There should be a set of <Publisher> stanzas for ARCGIS.
    Code:
    <Publisher>
    <Name>ARCGIS</Name>
    <Products>
    <Product>ARCGIS</Product>
    </Products>
    </Publisher>
    Are the stanzas there? If not another program installation could have caused the problem. You might try inserting the stanzas back into the xml. But if that all looks good, proceed with the repair as above.

Stuart
    Okay, the date on those files you said was from 11/18/2011.

Now that I think back, I had the 60 day trial last year during an intro class into Arc, and then this year i bought a textbook and it came with the code I used this time, which is a 180-day trial. Could that have anything to do with it?

Also, I do not even have a FlexNet folder in my program files, or program files(x86).

I really appreciate you trying to help so much. I'll keep trying with you, but I'll contact ESRI on Monday if I can't get it working by then.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Joseph,

Sorry a typo on my part. You need to look in your C:\Program Data\FLEXnet folder (not Program Files) for the FNP Trusted Storage cache. You may need to open Windows Explorer --> Tools --> Folder Options and in the Files and Folders section - Hidden files and folders enable the "Show hidden files, folders and drives" to be able to see the ARCGIS_xxxxxxxx_tsf.data encrypted files.

Yes the prior 60-day and following 180-day license fulfillments, could be the problem in this case. Post up a screen shot of what shows in a details listing of your C:\Program Data\FLEXnet folder.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 04-21-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Joseph Lawrence
    Answers Provided

Here's a screenshot of the files you asked about.

Name:	Flexnet.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	13719

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Joseph,

Hmmm, those two logs and the backup are kind of interesting. Coincide with the start of your problems yesterday. Can you read them with a text editor? Might offer some clue as to what is faulting.

Otherwise, looks like you'd done something on 30 March to the ArcGIS 10.0 Desktop seat, which also affected the FNP Trusted Storage cache on that date.

Stuart

Joseph Lawrence
    Answers Provided

I'm only pasting one portion because it's just this same wording over and over.

16:11:50 20-04-2012 [P:668],[T:1228] EventCode: 20000005, Message: Our service is disabled.
    16:11:50 20-04-2012 [P:668],[T:1228] EventCode: 20000005, Message: Our service is disabled.
    16:11:50 20-04-2012 [P:668],[T:1228] Exception: 59, Module: f0000, Location: 10

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Joseph,

OK. Lets see if we can kick start the service. If that fails then the FlexNet Publisher configuration (the fulfillments and/or the license service) is simply hosed and a reinstall may end up being the only recourse.

First, lets try to restart the FLEXnet Licensing Service.
    1. launch a command window "Run as Administrator" from the Start medallion.
    2. type in the command for the Services management console snap-in "services.msc"
    3. scroll down the services panel to the FLEXnet Licensing Service entry.
    4. what operating Status is it in? is it stopped? or even Disabled?
    5. if Status shows as blank (i.e. Stopped) and Startup Type is set to Manual, start the service (from the icon, or the context menu); but if disabled, open the properties (<Rt mouse button> for context menu), on the general tab - set the Startup Type dropdown to Manual and start the service.
    6. watch its Status in the Services console, does the service start and continue to show Started?

Close the Service console and launch ArcGIS Administrator. Are licenses back in the Availability panel?

If so, perhaps check the C:\Program Data\FLEXnet folder and look at the latest log file. Is anything other the Our service is disabled being logged?

Close out ArcGIS Administrator, and launch ArcMap. Does ArcMap fully open? Or does it crash throwing the same empty License popup error? If the latter check the C:\Program Data\FLEXnet logs, and open the Services console plug-in to check the status of the FLEXnet Licensing Service -- started, stopped, or disabled?

Work through those, and post back results.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 04-22-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Joseph Lawrence
    Answers Provided

Okay, I went through the steps and it was indeed disabled. I manually started it up and then my program started working again.

I can't possibly thank you enough Stuart!

+ Reply to Thread