+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RSS feed links broken when signed in

Luke Pinner
    Answers Provided

Default RSS feed links broken when signed in

The RSS links for the forums seems to have changed (from rss.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=feed.ForumsBeta&forumid=blah to forums.arcgis.com/external.php?type=RSS2&forumids=blah) so I started updating them in my feedreader. All good, until I signed in to my ESRI Global Account...

For example, for this subforum (Resource Center Site Feedback), the RSS link is http://forums.arcgis.com/external.ph...S2&forumids=81
    If I am not signed in, it works as expected. If I am signed in, my feedreader tells me the link is broken and is returning malformed XML. So I tried entering the RSS URL in a browser. If not signed in, I get correct RSS XML displayed in my browser window. If I am signed in, I get the 'thank you for logging in' message instead, in an infinite loop (i.e, redirects to the RSS URL over and over and over).
    Redirecting...

Thank you for logging in, lpinner.
    Click here if your browser does not automatically redirect you.

Jim Barry

Answers Provided

Default Re: RSS feed links broken when signed in

Sorry for the delay.

I tried this a few different ways and I'm having trouble reproducing this problem yet. But I have a few questions for you if you have a moment.

a. Is your reader browser-based? And if so, which is it? And are you saying you're logged into esri.com or arcgis.com in the same browser (different tab perhaps) as the reader? I'm trying to make the connection between your reader, the feeds it receives, and how it knows that you're logged into esri.com/arcgis.com.

b. Or are you saying that when you're logged in and grab an RSS feed URL, it gives you a different URL than when you're not logged in? And the first scenario gives you a URL that connects to a feed that generates malformed XML?
    If you see a post you like, please use the voting tools on the right side of each post to let everyone know.

Discussion Forums' New Features: How do they work?
    Details about the new Forums MVP Program

Twitter: @JimBarry

Luke Pinner
    Answers Provided

No worries about the delay. The issue seems to be intermittent as well, it was happening recently, but (of course...) I can't reproduce it today. I've had other intermittent issues with the RSS feeds, sometimes the Python forum feed (http://forums.arcgis.com/external.ph...2&forumids=117) will stubbornly refuse to return any results other than for a single (usually old) thread. Maybe time for a flashy new web based RSS reader...

To answer your question.
    a. Browser based reader Sage in Firefox when logged into the forums (arcgis.com) in another tab. I haven't tried in a Web based reader (like Google Reader) but I'll give it a go if it happens again. The feed URLs are correct, i.e. http://forums.arcgis.com/external.ph...S2&forumids=81 for the Resource Center feedback feed, but instead of returning XML, the server just returns the "Redirecting... Thank you for logging in..." html, and redirects to itself (i.e the same RSS URL) over and over (and over).

Breaking news! It's doing it now. I wasn't even using the Sage feed reader, just pasting the RSS URL into the Firefox address bar (whilst logged in to arcgis.com) and it's looping on the "Redirecting..." html page for a bit, then eventually returns the xml. Tried in Google reader with no problems, but I didn't think it would as it's web not browser based.

Jim Barry

Answers Provided

Ok thanks for the additional info. I'll give it a whirl and see if we can't get to the bottom of this.
    If you see a post you like, please use the voting tools on the right side of each post to let everyone know.

Discussion Forums' New Features: How do they work?
    Details about the new Forums MVP Program

Twitter: @JimBarry

+ Reply to Thread