+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cannot Connect to ArcGIS Online via ArcCatalog as GIS Server

Darroch Kaye
    Answers Provided

Default Cannot Connect to ArcGIS Online via ArcCatalog as GIS Server

Hi,

I'm trying to add tasks.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/services as a GIS Server in ArcCatalog however I keep getting the following error message:

We were unable to connect to tasks.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/services. Error: The parameter is incorrect.

I have also tried tasks.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services to no avail.

Before anyone asks, I am connected to the internet, but as long as there isn't some silly feature I have to turn on in ArcCatalog, I can't see what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    DK

Mike Minami

Answers Provided

Default Re: Cannot Connect to ArcGIS Online via ArcCatalog as GIS Server

I don't know why you can't connect. What version of ArcGIS Desktop are you running? You might check the ArcGIS Desktop forums.

Thanks,

Mike

David Cleland
    Answers Provided

I am also having this problem. I just became aware of the issue yesterday. I cannot connect to the ArcGIS Online services, our internal services or any published ArcGIS Server. Everytime I attempt to setup a new ArcGIS server connection I am prompted with Error: The parameter is incorrect.

I have confirmed with my co-workers that their systems still work. Prior to noticing the issue I was ArcGIS 10.0 SP 3, I have tried updating to SP 5 and a repair of my ArcGIS install; to no avail. We do not use a proxy for access. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Update: Some malware changed my proxy settings. Once that was undone, problem solved.
    Last edited by dcleland; 08-17-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Update

Darroch Kaye
    Answers Provided

This post is marked as the answer

Hi,

This problem has been solved. My company's internet settings weren't compatible with Esri's; my work use a Proxy Auto Config (PAC) file which I think was causing issues. Anyway, my IT Dept. worked at it and it is now working.

Cheers,
    DK

Graham Wood
    Answers Provided

I had a very similar issue..(incuding hours searching online..) where only my pc was reporting the issue in ArcMap/Catalog

The service worked fine on firefox, arcgis for autocad and Autocad using WMS

it turned out that Internet Explorer (which I rarely use was set to "work offline")

so a quick unchecking of File --> Work Offline fixed the issue

+ Reply to Thread