+ Reply to Thread

Thread: silverlight api dll's not registering in gac during api install

James Rafferty
    Answers Provided

Question silverlight api dll's not registering in gac during api install

I'm using Windows XP.
    I'm trying to install the ArcGIS Silverlight API. After running the API installation I fired up a new Silverlight project in Visual Studio 2010. I followed instructions in the Getting started section of the API's Concepts page. However, ESRI.ArcGIS.Client is missing when I attempt to add it as a reference to the project. I checked the gac and none of the dll's included in the api installation are registered.
    Anybody run into this before?

Jennifer Nery

Answers Provided

Default Re: silverlight api dll's not registering in gac during api install

Which version of the API did you install? If you installed v2.x, your Silverlight application must be Silverlight v4. If you installed v3.0 Pre-Release, your Silverlight application must be Silverlight v5. The .NET references are filtered by Silverlight version.
    Jennifer Nery
    Software Developer
    ArcGIS API for SL/WPF/WP7

James Rafferty
    Answers Provided

Thanks for replying.
    I attempted to install version 2.4 of the API. I have Silverlight version 4 installed.
    It is good to know that the .NET references are filtered by Silverlight version.
    However, the API dll's are not showing up in the global assembly cache of the machine, regardless of Visual Studio.
    I could probably manually add them, but I'd rather not if there's a known reason they're not registering.

Morten Nielsen

Answers Provided

None of the DLL's are supposed to be installed in the GAC in the first place, so I'm not sure why you would expect them to be there (not to mention you can't even install SL assemblies in the GAC, since this is only for .NET assemblies).

Make sure you are creating a Silverlight 4 project to have the assemblies show up in the add references dialog (they will be listed under the extensions). If not, try and reinstall the SDK.
    /Morten Nielsen
    ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET
    silverlight team blog - twitter - personal blog

James Rafferty
    Answers Provided

Thanks for correcting me. It turns out I was trying to add the reference to the wrong project in the solution. Whoops.

-James

+ Reply to Thread