+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Obtaining weighted gradient layer from point layer & polygon layers

Answers Provided

Default Obtaining weighted gradient layer from point layer & polygon layers

I'm looking for a little help on how to complete a project:

I have a boundary file that was handed out in survey form to various individuals to mark locations on it on where they think X-thing is. I have collected the surveys and georeferenced them all into a single polygon shape file. I have a lattice of evenly distributed points that goes across the map. I want to combine the two layers and weight the locations based on the the frequency count of how many circles cover each point, giving each point a statistical weight. This is a large area (county sized) and the distance between the points is about 200 ft.

The end product should be something like a nice gradient in which the highest frequency count points are for example a deep red and the ones with null values are white. I'm not quite sure how to approach this problem, I would be extremely grateful for any guidance.

It sounds like it should be a simple spatial join problem and then setting up the classifications to make the gradient. However when I join them w/ spatial join using intersect, the join counts for all points is 0.
    Last edited by loafoaf; 04-25-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Curtis Price

Answers Provided

Default Re: Obtaining weighted gradient layer from point layer & polygon layers

Quote Originally Posted by loafoaf View Post
    The end product should be something like a nice gradient in which the highest frequency count points are for example a deep red and the ones with null values are white. I'm not quite sure how to approach this problem, I would be extremely grateful for any guidance.
    You sure posted into the correct forum -- seems to me that the Point Statistics tool is what you're looking for -- which will work if you specify the geoprocessing extent and cellsize environment to set the "lattice" parameters before you run it.

+ Reply to Thread