+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Config Issues with Enhanced Time Slider Widget version 2.5.1.1 for FlexViewer 2.5

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

Default Config Issues with Enhanced Time Slider Widget version 2.5.1.1 for FlexViewer 2.5

I have a question in regards to the configuration of the Enhanced Time Slider Widget. I am trying to configure the widget to use a time extent and interval that I specify. When I do this I seem to break the widget.

<layer label="Surface Water Well Locations" name="Surface Water Well Locations">
    <dateformat>MMMM,YYYY</dateformat>
    <loop>false</loop>
    <singlethumbastimeinstant>true</singlethumbastimeinstant>
    <thumbcount>1</thumbcount>
    <thumbmovingrate>1000</thumbmovingrate>
    <timeextent>
    <starttime>2000/01/01 05:00:00 UTC</starttime>
    <endtime>2010/06/01 05:00:00 UTC</endtime>
    </timeextent>
    <timestopsinterval>1</timestopsinterval>
    <timestopsunits>months</timestopsunits>
    </layer>

If I follow the same methods as the original config file the layers do display properly, but I am more interested in being able to set the time period manually. Any idea what I'm doing wrong above? Using the standard slider that comes with the Flex Viewer everything behaves as I would suspect.

Thanks,
    Adam Z

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Lightbulb Re: Config Issues with Enhanced Time Slider Widget version 2.5.1.1 for FlexViewer 2.5

Adam,

Sorry for the delay. I found the error in the code where I was trying to parse the start date and end date twice causing an issue. This is fixed in Version 2.5.2 - April 30, 2012

* The time layer(s) visibility before the widget is opened is remembered and re-applied when
    the widget is closed.
    * Fixed bug when start date and end date is manually specified for the time extent.
    Just because it's not the answer you want, does not mean that it is not the answer.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Config Issues with Enhanced Time Slider Widget version 2.5.1.1 for FlexViewer 2.5

That's great, thank you so much for taking the time to look into this!

Adam Z

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Lightbulb Re: Config Issues with Enhanced Time Slider Widget version 2.5.1.1 for FlexViewer 2.5

Adam,

If the new version fixes the issue be sure to come back and mark this question as answered.

Don't forget to click the Mark as answer check on this post and to click the top arrow (promote).
    Follow the steps as shown in the below graphic:
    Just because it's not the answer you want, does not mean that it is not the answer.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Config Issues with Enhanced Time Slider Widget version 2.5.1.1 for FlexViewer 2.5

I was able to implement the new slider with time extents specified by the config file. Thanks!

Is it possible to have the slider to default to the latest date in the slider versus the first?

Adam Z

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Adam,

Sure that is possible but I don't think that most users would want that to be the default. Are you working with the source code version or the compiled version?

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

Robert,

I'm working with the compiled version....I don't have an IDE set up yet to work with the source code (balking at the price of Flash Builder and can't seem to figure out FlashDevelop). I understand exactly what you're saying about where the slider starts. We are using it to display well samples taken over time but want to the emphasis put on the most recent data and allow the user to go back through time if they so desire. Perhaps I can convince my manager to purchase Flash Builder. What level of the product would you suggest for Flex development?

Adam Z

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Adam,

I can add a configuration opton to this widget in the next release to start the slider at the end. As far as version of Flash Builder, you could easyly get away with just purchasing the standard version.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Brian Kaplan
    Answers Provided

Very nice work. Do you thinik it would be possible to have the user select a time window instead of specifying a fixed one maybe similar to the animation in Google Earth? thanks. Brian Kaplan, CDC

Quote Originally Posted by rscheitlin View Post
    Adam,

I can add a configuration opton to this widget in the next release to start the slider at the end. As far as version of Flash Builder, you could easyly get away with just purchasing the standard version.

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Brian,

I am not familiar with the annimation in Google Earth that you are speaking of.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Brian Kaplan
    Answers Provided

Hi Robert, I've attached the Google Earth time slider. The half-moon looking item on the bar below the 2 am can be slide left or right and sets the width of the time window. The other item on the bar near the "11" of 11/6/2010 moves the time window. Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GoogleEarthTimeSlider.png‎
Views:	73
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	14336  

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

Hi Robert,

I just downloaded the Enhanced Time Slider for Flex 3.0. I am using the compiled version in the latest Viewer release. I had a question in regards to the auto-toggling. I have the widget open upon load, and it properly has the first layer on and all other's off. As I switch layers it toggles the new ones on but the other layer(s) remain on as well. I checked the live version off the widget download page and this seems to be the case there as well. Is there something in the config that will allow those layers to turn off once they are navigated away from?

Thanks in advance,
    Adam Z

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Cool Re: Config Issues with Enhanced Time Slider Widget version 2.5.1.1 for FlexViewer 2.5

Adam,

This issue has just been fixed and uploaded in version 3.0.1

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

The same behavior still seems to be in place.....

Adam Z

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Adam,

So are you talking about the Old 2.5 version then? I have fixed the 3.0 version.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

Sorry, I am talking about the 3.0 version. I just downloaded the 3.01 version you just uploaded and the layers are still not toggling off.

Adam Z

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Adam,

Strange I just compiled the change and moved it over to my web server and the toggling on my live preview site is working fine. Do you have the name of the layer in the eTimeWidget.xml the same as the label of the layer in your main config.xml?

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

Okay, it is working properly. I had been viewing everything in Firefox which was causing the problem. When I looked at everything in IE all was good. Not sure if my version of Firefox is bad or if the plug-ins are out of date, but I'll just use IE or the IE tab option in Firefox. Thanks for your help!

Adam Z

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

This post is marked as the answer

Adam,

Firefox should not be the issue as it is the only browser I normally use. Maybe you didn't clear your cache.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

Adam,

Hi Robert,

I wanted to ask if you might still be planning to add this as an option in the config file for this widget? I was also wondering if resetting the time slider to the beginning was a default behavior and if it was possible to maintain the current time when switching between layers.

Thanks,
    Adam Z

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

Adam,

Firefox should not be the issue as it is the only browser I normally use. Maybe you didn't clear your cache.
    Robert,

It must have been a cache problem...all is working properly now. I apologize for raising any alarms. thanks for your help!

Adam Z

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Adam,
    1. I wanted to ask if you might still be planning to add this as an option in the config file for this widget? Yes
    2. I was also wondering if resetting the time slider to the beginning was a default behavior and if it was possible to maintain the current time when switching between layers. It is the default of my design. It would only work to leave the slider in it's current position if the layers all had similar time extents and this will not always be the case.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

rhett zufelt

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by aziegler View Post
    Hi Robert,

I wanted to ask if you might still be planning to add this as an option in the config file for this widget? I was also wondering if resetting the time slider to the beginning was a default behavior and if it was possible to maintain the current time when switching between layers.

Thanks,
    Adam Z
    Adam,

If you are using uncompiled version, see this post:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/574...425#post197425

R_

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

Robert,

Thanks, that makes perfect sense.

Adam Z

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

Adam,

Sure that is possible but I don't think that most users would want that to be the default. Are you working with the source code version or the compiled version?
    Hi Robert,

I finally got FlashBuilder and am looking at your eTime code. I know you said you would add an option to start at the end of the time slider, but any chance you can point me in the direction of adding that functionality myself?

Sorry for pestering, I really appreciate all your help.

Adam Z

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Adam,

Version 3.0.2 - August 17, 2012

* Added startatoldesttime and resetslideronlayerchange options.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Adam Ziegler
    Answers Provided

Adam,

Version 3.0.2 - August 17, 2012

* Added startatoldesttime and resetslideronlayerchange options.
    You are the best!

Thanks!

Adam Z

Frank Roberts
    Answers Provided

Robert, I'm attempting something that maybe isn't right, so that might explain my issues... The only layer I have in my Flexviewer map is a WMS service that has time enabled. I'm assume that this is not supported in this widget?

The link to the time enabled WMS service I'm using is as follows:

Code:
                <layer label="Surface Sea Water Velocity" type="wms" visible="true" 
                           visiblelayers="surface_sea_water_velocity"
                           imageFormat="png32"
                           alpha="0.6"
                           skipgetcapabilities="true"
                           usemaptime="true"
                           version="1.1.1"
                           url="http://hfrnet.ucsd.edu:8080/thredds/wms/HFRNet/USWC/6km/hourly/RTV?service=WMS&srs=EPSG:4326"/>
    My Widget.xml looks like:

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <configuration>
    	<autotogglelayervisibility>true</autotogglelayervisibility>
    	<startatoldesttime>true</startatoldesttime>
            <resetslideronlayerchange>true</resetslideronlayerchange>
    	<layers>
    		<layer label="Water Velocity" name="Surface Sea Water Velocity">
    		    <dateformat>MMMM, YYYY</dateformat>
    		    <loop>false</loop>
    		    <singlethumbastimeinstant>false</singlethumbastimeinstant>
    		    <thumbmovingrate>1000</thumbmovingrate>
    		    <timeextent>
    		        <starttime>2011/10/01 00:00:00 UTC</starttime>
    		        <endtime>2012/09/05 16:00:00 UTC</endtime>
    		    </timeextent>
    		    <timestops>
    		        <timestopsunits>days</timestopsunits>
    		    </timestops>
    		</layer>
            </layers>
    	<labels>
    		<timelayerlabel>Select Layer: </timelayerlabel>
    	</labels>
    </configuration>
    Thanks for your assistance,
    Last edited by froberts; 09-05-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: update to post
    Frank Roberts

Director of Information Technology
    Innovate! Inc.
    Worley, Idaho USA

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Frank,

A couple of things.
    1. Using the eTime widget with only one time enabled layer is not the intended use of this widget as the main purpose of this widget is to allow for multiple time enabled layers to be used. This could be the issue, I will need to test. EDIT... Nope this is not the issue, Just tested...
    2. I was not aware that WMS layers were time aware. The Flex API makes no mention of the WMSLayer having any timeinfo or any time properties.
    Last edited by rscheitlin; 09-05-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Frank Roberts
    Answers Provided

Thanks for looking into the WMS topic above. I have since written code to export the data out of NetCDF and then put it into a feature class in the geoDB. My current issues is that my features have a field in them called "bearing". I then rotate the symbol based upon this attribute in the mxd. However, I am noticing a couple things:

1) if I add AGS service as a whole (dynamic), I can get the features to rotate at the different time stamps, however they over post on them selves and look ugly.
    2) if I add the AGS service layers as features, they rotation does not occur. They do change colors but the arrows always point north.

Any ideas if this can be overcome? Side note I am using the 3.1 version of the widget currently.

Hope to see you in Palm Springs!
    Frank
    Frank Roberts

Innovate! Inc.
    Worley, Idaho USA

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Frank,
    1. That all depends on how you have it configured.
    Code:
    Should be what the eTimeWidget.xml is configured for. Make sure that your layer in the mxd has time enabled and do not have "display time cumulatively" checked.

2. For the FeatureLayer to use rotation (which would happen client side) you would have to write code to take the value of the rotation field and rotate each makerSymbol from the value of that field.

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

Frank Roberts
    Answers Provided

Thank You Robert, as always that is exactly what I was looking for!
    Frank Roberts

Innovate! Inc.
    Worley, Idaho USA

INCOIS WebMaster
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by froberts View Post
    Thank You Robert, as always that is exactly what I was looking for!
    Is it possible to provide a user option with time window to select custom date and time instead of specifying a fixed one in the .xml file for Flexviewer3.2

Kiran
    Last edited by INCOIS-WEB; 04-08-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Cormac McConaghy
    Answers Provided

Hi Robert,

I'm trying to use the enhanced time widget but can't see any options under the "Select Layer" dropdown menu. I have a a published service with 3 layers:

1. Total planned investment secured 2Years
    2. Local StartUps 2Years
    3. Assistance offered by Invest NI 2Years

Below is my syntax, your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Cormac

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
    <configuration>
    <autotogglelayervisibility>true</autotogglelayervisibility>
    <startatoldesttime>false</startatoldesttime>
    <resetslideronlayerchange>true</resetslideronlayerchange>
    <layers>
    <layer label="Total planned investment secured 2Years" name="Total planned investment secured 2Years">
    <dateformat>DD/MM/YYYY</dateformat>
    <loop>false</loop>
    <thumbcount>5</thumbcount>
    <thumbmovingrate>1500</thumbmovingrate>
    <timeextent setfromlayer="Total planned investment secured 2Years"/>
    <timeextent>
    <starttime>31/03/2012 05:00:00 UTC</starttime>
    <endtime>31/03/2009 05:00:00 UTC</endtime>
    </timeextent>
    <timestops>
    <timestopsunits>years</timestopsunits>
    </timestops>
    </layer>
    <layer label="Local StartUps 2Years" name="Local StartUps 2Years">
    <loop>false</loop>
    <thumbmovingrate>350</thumbmovingrate>
    <timeextent setfromlayer="Local StartUps 2Years"/>
    <thumbposition>
    <startthumb>31/03/2013 00:00:00 UTC</startthumb>
    </thumbposition>
    </layer>
    <layer label="Assistance offered by Invest NI 2Years" name="Assistance offered by Invest NI 2Years">
    <loop>false</loop>
    <thumbmovingrate>350</thumbmovingrate>
    <timeextent setfromlayer="Assistance offered by Invest NI 2Years"/>
    <thumbposition>
    <startthumb>31/03/2013 00:00:00 UTC</startthumb>
    <endthumb>31/03/2009 00:00:00 UTC</endthumb>
    </thumbposition>
    </layer>
    </layers>
    <labels>
    <timelayerlabel>Select Layer: </timelayerlabel>
    </labels>

Robert Scheitlin

Answers Provided

Cormac,

Looking at your configuration there are a couple of things that stick out:
    1. <thumbcount>5</thumbcount> Really 5 slider thumbs?... How about one or two.
    2. <layer label="Total planned investment secured 2Years" name="Total planned investment secured 2Years"> the name attribute is the name of the layer label in the main config.xml (as outlines in the eTime slider widget tags.pdf).

Robert Scheitlin

GIS Manager
    Calhoun County, Alabama

+ Reply to Thread