+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calculate Field on Records Selected by Location in Modelbuilder not Calculating

Mike MacRae
    Answers Provided

Default Calculate Field on Records Selected by Location in Modelbuilder not Calculating

I have created a model and I have added a 'Select by Location' query to select records from a polygon feature class that lies outside of another polygon feature class.

Click image for larger version

Name:	slectbylocation2.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	13900

So, I set the selection to choose all feature from the first polygon feature class 'WITHIN' the second polygon feature class and then set the 'Selection Type' to 'SWITCH_SELECTION' to get the feature outside.

Name:	slectbylocation.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	13899

I then use the 'Calculate Field' using the output of the select by location above, as an input to calculate a field called 'Comment' with the string 'Area2 outside of Area1' in hopes that it will only calculate the selected features.

Name:	slectbylocation3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	13901

It is not doing this. It's calculating all the records. How to I only calculate the selected records?

Thanks,
    Mike

Dan Lee

Answers Provided

Default Re: Calculate Field on Records Selected by Location in Modelbuilder not Calculating

I think you need to use Select Layer By Location tool twice to get the opposite/switched selection:
    First, use the tool to make a NEW_SELECTION by an expression.
    Second, use the tool to SWITCH_SELECTION, without any expression.
    Last edited by 1812; 04-30-2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: corrected a typo
    Dan (Geoprocessing)

Phillip Rofe
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Calculate Field on Records Selected by Location in Modelbuilder not Calculating

If you have a whole bunch of points that reside in and outside of for example a polygon feature class. This is how I would go about it.

Try selecting all (points) and then using the Select by Layer By Location remove all (points) that are completely within the selecting features.(polygons) etc..

Name:	SelectbyLocation.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	13918

Mike MacRae
    Answers Provided

This post is marked as the answer

Hey, thanks for the help! I discovered that you have to use the 'Select Layer by Location tool' to select the records and then use the 'Select by Attributes' immediately after that and choose 'Switch Selection'

+ Reply to Thread