+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spatial Indexes and Load Only IO Mode

Nathan Heick
    Answers Provided

Default Spatial Indexes and Load Only IO Mode

Good Afternoon,

Does anyone know if there is a difference between using the sdelayer -o load_only_io command versus the arcpy.management.RemoveSpatialIndex() function. I would like to know if there is anything else going on in the background with load_only_io mode. We are running several Spatial ETL tools and I want to improve performance during the loading of the data, but don't want the spatial indexes to get rebuilt at the end of any of the Spatial ETL tools. I am confident the sdelayer command would work, but if the arcpy function is identical, it is much simpler to write a script tool that only uses the arcpy module versus the subprocess module. I am not sure what can trigger the spatial indexes to be rebuilt. I want to control when that happens.

Thanks,

Nathan

Jon D
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Spatial Indexes and Load Only IO Mode

Nathan,

'sdelayer -o load_only_io' does much the same thing as the arcpy.management.RemoveSpatialIndex(). Either would improve the performance when loading objects as you would not have the index to navigate. Load_only_io goes a bit further than the arcpy function however and places a flag on the feature class metadata that will only enable store and replace I/O operations. In other words, while dropping the spatial index alone will not prevent editing within ArcGIS, setting a feature class to load_only_io will. Hope that helps.

- Jon

Nathan Heick
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Spatial Indexes and Load Only IO Mode

Thanks Jon,

I was looking for that extra piece of information. I suspected there was some difference.

Nathan

+ Reply to Thread