+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Web ADF installation for web development

Julie Biju
    Answers Provided

Default Web ADF installation for web development

Dears,I started ESRI development work few wks back.My knowledge is very less in this development side.I am good in writing the code in vb.net in VS2010 .I developed a website with mapping module for tracking the vehicles using another mapping software. Now we planned to move with ESRI. Now my requirement is i need to develop the website mapping module with ESRI software.

For that I installed ArcGIS Desktop 10 evaluation Version.and tried to using ArcGIS API for Silverlight with silveright 4 .If i wanted to use this API then i need more time because silverlight applications is not familiar for me.

Now i saw Web ADF is good for developing applications in vs2010 with VB.net.For that from where i can download webADF for vs2010.

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.0 contains lot of applications.Whether all these are web based or desktop based application?

whether web ADF or silverligfht API is good for developing the website?What is the difference between these two?

i cannot able to run any samples available in C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\DeveloperKit10.0.I think it is because of web ADF problem.How can i solve this

Can anybdy help me to clear my doubts.I am still stuck without moving my webproject and with the timeframe from my superiors.

regards
    Meenu

Domenico Ciavarella

Answers Provided

This post is marked as the answer

Default Re: Web ADF installation for web development

I advise you to start with silverlight or js or flex because adf is deprecated (
    ArcGIS Server 10.1 will be the last planned release for the ArcGIS Server Web ADFs (Application Developer Framework) for both Microsoft .NET and Java )
    see
    http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/20...recation-plan/
    http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/20...d-silverlight/
    http://downloads2.esri.com/support/T...ation_Plan.pdf
    Studio A&T srl

Domenico Ciavarella

ESRI Certified
    Enterprise Geodatabase Management Associate 10.1
    Web Application Developer Associate 10.1

My ArcGIS.com

Blog: NicoGis

Julie Biju
    Answers Provided

this means i shoukld be go with silver light..then y this toolkit giving samples of these with adf???...when i tried dynamic popup project from samples, i cannot make dhml(linq to sql) files because it is showing errors.

Domenico Ciavarella

Answers Provided

Studio A&T srl

Domenico Ciavarella

ESRI Certified
    Enterprise Geodatabase Management Associate 10.1
    Web Application Developer Associate 10.1

My ArcGIS.com

Blog: NicoGis

Jose Sanchez
    Answers Provided

Meenu,

The first thing after installing ArcGIS 10 client and server is to set up correctly IIIS otherwise nothing is going to work

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserv...000000m000000/

the you have in VS 2008 and VS 2010 a template to create WEb ADF applications.

For example in VS 2008, open VS 2008 and go to File --> New Web Site --> Web Mapping Application. When the applicaiton gets created just open the Default.aspx page and go to MApResourceManager control --> Edit Resoruces and set up the Information Definition to an existing service to opne the application.

Web ADF is not going to be maintained anymore by Esri after version 10.0/10.1 so it is better is you start from scratch to take a look to Silverlight or may be HTML5 + Javascript

mm xx
    Answers Provided

Red face Re: Web ADF installation for web development

Quote Originally Posted by ciava.at View Post
    I advise you to start with silverlight or js or flex because adf is deprecated (
    ArcGIS Server 10.1 will be the last planned release for the ArcGIS Server Web ADFs (Application Developer Framework) for both Microsoft .NET and Java )
    Why adf is deprecated?
    If the ADF is eliminated,So I want to use to develop Java based WebGIS applications, what is the choice of what method do?

Richard Watson

Answers Provided

The ADF was an architecture based on having a heavy back end which I've heard ESRI refer to as a "headless ArcMap". They, and the industry in general, abandoned that approach and moved to pure REST services. The Web ADF is dead.

You can write a client in any language you want, using any tools you want, and running on any platform that you want because the back-end is just REST.

If I were to pick which tools to use I would pick one that ESRI offers a development platform around so as to avoid having to do the work which they have done. If you developing web applications then you have 3 choices which are JavaScript, Flex, and Silverlight. We chose Silverlight because we are .NET developers. Both Flex and Silverlight are very rich toolsets which get you going very fast using rich and proven tools. On the other hand, the industry (and ESRI) are strongly moving to JavaScipt.

I have written programs in Java but not web based applications. I think that there are various tools which compile Java to JavaScript. You might want to investigate those, e.g. Google Web Toolkit. Please do post back what you find so that others can gain from your research.

mm xx
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: Web ADF installation for web development

Quote Originally Posted by rlwatson View Post
    The ADF was an architecture based on having a heavy back end which I've heard ESRI refer to as a "headless ArcMap". They, and the industry in general, abandoned that approach and moved to pure REST services. The Web ADF is dead.

You can write a client in any language you want, using any tools you want, and running on any platform that you want because the back-end is just REST.

If I were to pick which tools to use I would pick one that ESRI offers a development platform around so as to avoid having to do the work which they have done. If you developing web applications then you have 3 choices which are JavaScript, Flex, and Silverlight. We chose Silverlight because we are .NET developers. Both Flex and Silverlight are very rich toolsets which get you going very fast using rich and proven tools. On the other hand, the industry (and ESRI) are strongly moving to JavaScipt.

I have written programs in Java but not web based applications. I think that there are various tools which compile Java to JavaScript. You might want to investigate those, e.g. Google Web Toolkit. Please do post back what you find so that others can gain from your research.
    Thank you!

Shaning Yu

Answers Provided

Default Re: Web ADF

"ADF is Dead" - I have heard this for several years. Since 2009 I have worked on RESTful ArcGIS development using FB and SL. Now, I got to work on a project that needs ADF. The essential of this project is to publish a geoprocessing tool (for Linear Referencing. I read some literature and found the only possible approach appears to be using Web ADF (ESRI Training Course: Developing Applications with ArcGIS Server Using the Microsoft .NET Framework). Is this point of view correct or not? Please feedback me your opinion. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread