+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Extract Multi Values to Points NOT WORKING!

Kevin Wiley
    Answers Provided

Default Extract Multi Values to Points NOT WORKING!

I am trying to use this tool, but it isn't working correctly. I'm trying to extract values from multiple rasters to a set of points. I run the tool, and it always creates the new fields in the point attribute table; however, it never populates those fields with all the values. Sometimes, it's no values at all. Sometimes, it's one out of five raster fields. Sometimes, it's three out of seven. But so far, I've never had all the new fields properly populated with values. Also, if I use the Extract Values to Points tool, and go one raster at a time, that tool works fine. But the multi tool would be far more convenient, if only I could get it to work. Is this tool just buggy, or do I need to do something differently? Please help!

Gayathri Alallasundaram
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Extract Multi Values to Points NOT WORKING!

Hi,

There was bug NIM062706(Getting incorrect results when running Extract Multi Values to Points in ArcGIS.) associated to Extract Multi Values to Points, however, it has been fixed in version 10SP4. Please click the link below and install install 10 SP4 if you have not done it already,

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/...66&MetaID=1840

Thank You,
    Gayathri A.

Tim Howard
    Answers Provided

I have upgraded to SP4 and, unfortunately, this tool is still not working for me either. Behavior varies from: 1. attributing columns in the points layer with zero, very large, or very small numbers -- all the same for all rows within each column, 2: creating the columns but then leaving all values null, 3: crashing arcmap outright.

Conceptually, this tool is an excellent addition to the toolbox and it really would be great if we could depend on it to do the job correctly.
    Tim

Tom Sapienza
    Answers Provided

Indeed, I'm having the same result. When I tried to use EMVTP in a Model, the entire application would crash. When I run EMVTP from the toolbox, the resulting columns had values of -3.402820e+038. Both times I was trying to join aspect to points. I'm running SP4.

Pavan Yadav
    Answers Provided

Greetings,

I would like to investigate this issue and am wondering if you could help me. What I would like to get from you is your sample data. If you are able to do so, I will send you instructions to upload your data on our FTP site. Here is my email, please send me an email so that I can send you ftp instructions.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards,
    Pavan
    Last edited by pyadav1; 05-09-2012 at 09:46 AM.

Answers Provided

Hi,

I'm also trying to extract values from multiple rasters to a set of points. After running the tool, attributing columns in the points layer are all shown with zero
    What can I do for this issue? Please help!
    Last edited by zxuan; 07-13-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Answers Provided

did anyone ever get data to you? i'm having the same issue!
    -jessie

Quote Originally Posted by pyadav1 View Post
    Greetings,

I would like to investigate this issue and am wondering if you could help me. What I would like to get from you is your sample data. If you are able to do so, I will send you instructions to upload your data on our FTP site. Here is my email, please send me an email so that I can send you ftp instructions.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards,
    Pavan

Pavan Yadav
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by messie21 View Post
    did anyone ever get data to you? i'm having the same issue!
    -jessie
    Hi Jessie,
    We received test data only from one user, and we were able to reproduce the issue. It's a data specific issue that was reproducible at v10 Service Pack 5 and v10.1. Bug ID for the issue is NIM082931. This bug has been fixed at 10.1 SP1. I was wondering if you could try on 10.1 SP1 and see what happens. If you still get an unexpected result please contact support, here you can find contact information. If you are not current on maintenance, please send me an email at pyadav AT esri DOT com.

ArcGIS 10.1 Service Pack 1 for (Desktop, Engine, Server) download link.

Regards,
    Pavan

steve Superczynski
    Answers Provided

What about in ArcGIS 10.0? I am running the latest service pack (5) and this tool is giving me trouble too.

-Steve

Geo Revelation
    Answers Provided

I am using 10.1 SP1 and I am getting unexpected results. I am using a simple RGB .img where the values are only 0 or 255 but never 0,0,0 or 255,255,255 (like yellow, cyan, etc) but the tool only returns values that are 0,0,0 or 255,255,255.

It would be great if this worked.

Thanks

Curtis Price

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by georevelation View Post
    I am using 10.1 SP1 and I am getting unexpected results. I am using a simple RGB .img where the values are only 0 or 255 but never 0,0,0 or 255,255,255 (like yellow, cyan, etc) but the tool only returns values that are 0,0,0 or 255,255,255.

It would be great if this worked.

Thanks
    Whenever a raster tool does not work I try to see if it works with the Esri grid format. Convert your .img to a grid stack (copy raster with the output set an output raster name with no extension, starting with a letter, less than 11 chars), and see if EMVTP will work on that.

Please open an incident with Esri if you can -- we need this tool to work more consistently!

Stephen Ban
    Answers Provided

I just came across this bug in 10.0 SP5; as described above, it seems they did fix it in 10.1 SP1.

The order in which I added raster layers was important; if I added a layer that had NODATA values, all subsequent layers would also show NODATA values for those locations. If the same layers were added before the NODATA layers, the values would be fine.

Running the multivalue tool one layer at a time also seems to work (of course, this defeats the purpose of the multi-value tool).

Chris Simpson
    Answers Provided

Try switching off Background Processing in Geoprocessing Options.

Scott Lamon
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.ban View Post
    I just came across this bug in 10.0 SP5; as described above, it seems they did fix it in 10.1 SP1.

The order in which I added raster layers was important; if I added a layer that had NODATA values, all subsequent layers would also show NODATA values for those locations. If the same layers were added before the NODATA layers, the values would be fine.

Running the multivalue tool one layer at a time also seems to work (of course, this defeats the purpose of the multi-value tool).
    I don't think they fixed this in 10.1. I have a user who is having the tool crash on him if he adds the rasters in the wrong order.

+ Reply to Thread