+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Registering ArcSDE database with ArcGIS Server at 10.1

Matt Simmons
    Answers Provided

Default Registering ArcSDE database with ArcGIS Server at 10.1

I've got Server 10.1 Prerelease up and running, and ArcSDE 10.1 up and running on Oracle 11g. I've got Desktop 10.1 up and I'm trying to publish a service, but apparently I need to register the data with Server first.
    In Server Manager, I'm trying to do this by clicking Site -> Data Stores -> Register Database. I browse to the local connection *.sde file for that instance, click Import and I get a window that says

EDIT_PANE

and nothing else...... what the?

Matt Simmons
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Registering ArcSDE database with ArcGIS Server at 10.1

Let me add to this...

I've also tried registering the database to ArcGIS Server via Desktop 10.1. In the Catalog tree, right click the GIS Server connection and click Server Properties. On the Data Store tab, it's basically the same window as in Server Manager. When I input the name and connection string, I'm getting the error: "The ArcgIS Server is not able to connect to the specified database. Please ensure the database client libraries have been installed and the ArcGIS Server can access the database."

This seems to indicate a problem with the Oracle client on the client machine. The client machine has the 32-bit Oracle client on it because it's also got Desktop 10.1 on it, which is a 32-bit applciation. I can successfully connect, and administer, ArcSDE on this machine....

So, my environment looks like this:

ArcSDE 10.1 64-bit on a 64-bit Linux server
    ArcGIS Server 10.1 is 64-bit native, and on a 64-bit Windows server
    ArcGIS desktop is on this same 64-bit machine, but runs as a 32-bit app, and therefore....
    Oracle client on this Desktop and Server machine is 32-bit

Anyone?

Lars Sitzmann
    Answers Provided

Hello,

I think I've got a similar problem.
    Running ArcGIS Server 10.1 Pre on Windows 64bit machines (we've set up two different VMs). We've got several Oracle based 9.3.1 SDE instances running under Oracle 10g and we can't register a server connection to any of these SDEs with direct connect.

On one VM we installed ArcGIS Desktop and Server (both 10.1 pre) and therefor we installed both 32bit and 64bit Oracle client software (we instelled the 11g oracle client that ships with ArcGIS 10.1 pre).

On the ArcGIS Desktop side we've got no problems connecting to the SDE instances. But none of the servers are willing to register an enterprise connection.

If we try it with the web based ArcGIS Server Manager, we get the same "EDIT PANE"-Window msimmons75 gets. If we try it with the ArcCatalog (Server Properties... in the context menu of the admin-connection; Data Store-Tab; Register Database), we get the following error message:

WARNING 001308: The server is unable to connect to the database [The connection property set was missing a required property or the property value was unrecognized. Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load. Be sure the database client software is installed and configured correctly.].

What can we do?

Lars Sitzmann
    Answers Provided

We found out some new information on this issue.

We tested with this small python-script on the machine that has only 64bit-Software installed (Ora-Client and AGS 10.1 pre):

Code:
    import arcpy
    arcpy.env.workspace=r"<path to our sde-connection-file>"
    arcpy.ListDatasets()
    This code doesn't show any errors, but it prints out an empty list instead of the list of our feature datasets.
    When we look at the python.exe-process after we do this, we can see that the oracle client dlls are all loaded into the process as they should.

But in the application event log of the system we get the following error:

Code:
    Fehler beim Generieren des Aktivierungskontextes für "C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin\de\ResArcGISFileHelperLib.dll". 
    Die abhängige Assemblierung "Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8"" 
    konnte nicht gefunden werden. Verwenden Sie für eine detaillierte Diagnose das Programm "sxstrace.exe".
    Sorry for the german. The message says, that ResArcGISFileHelperLib.dll cannot load "Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT".

So my questions are?
    • Why is the esri dll trying to load a debug version of the VC runtime?
    • How can I install this debug libs?

Please help.

Michael Downey
    Answers Provided

Good day,

make sure you also have the 64 bit Oracle client for ArcGIS Server.

As a 32 bit client, Desktop will look for the 32 bit Oracle client.
    As a 64 bit client, Server will look for the 64 bit client.

Please try that and let us know.

-Michael

============================================================
    Quote Originally Posted by msimmons75 View Post
    Let me add to this...

I've also tried registering the database to ArcGIS Server via Desktop 10.1. In the Catalog tree, right click the GIS Server connection and click Server Properties. On the Data Store tab, it's basically the same window as in Server Manager. When I input the name and connection string, I'm getting the error: "The ArcgIS Server is not able to connect to the specified database. Please ensure the database client libraries have been installed and the ArcGIS Server can access the database."

This seems to indicate a problem with the Oracle client on the client machine. The client machine has the 32-bit Oracle client on it because it's also got Desktop 10.1 on it, which is a 32-bit applciation. I can successfully connect, and administer, ArcSDE on this machine....

So, my environment looks like this:

ArcSDE 10.1 64-bit on a 64-bit Linux server
    ArcGIS Server 10.1 is 64-bit native, and on a 64-bit Windows server
    ArcGIS desktop is on this same 64-bit machine, but runs as a 32-bit app, and therefore....
    Oracle client on this Desktop and Server machine is 32-bit

Anyone?

Eva Mui
    Answers Provided

Beside making sure the Oracle 64-bit client is also installed on the machine where both ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server is installed, please also set the PATH variable to read the 64-bit client before the 32-bit client.

Please refer to the documentation:
    http://resourcesbeta.arcgis.com/en/h...00000038000000

Matt Simmons
    Answers Provided

This post is marked as the answer

Thanks for your replies...

First, I double checked to ensure that the 64-bit client was installed on the client machine (for Server), and also the 32-bit client (for Desktop), and that the 64-bit path was before the 32-bit path in the environment variables. They were all correct. Still no success registering the datastore.

I then uninstalled ArcGIS Server, and the Web Adapter and reinstalled. I went through the same installation, even used the config.xml file set up in the initial install. Boom - problem solved. I went through the same steps and successfully registered the datastore via Server Manager; and then successfully published a service.

Can't say what the resolution was, but in my case uninstalling and reinstalling Server did the trick.

Lars Sitzmann
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: Registering ArcSDE database with ArcGIS Server at 10.1

Or system now works too (at least the registration of the sde connection does).
    The solution for us was taking the right oracle client. At the first step we installed the client software of the oracle enterprise installer, which obviously doesn't seem to cooperate well with ArcGIS Server. After uninstalling these oracle products and installing the oracle instant clients, the registration of the sde connection works.

Alessandro Assom
    Answers Provided

Hello, I solved the problem following these steps:
    1) installing both the 64 and 32 bit version of the oracle client
    2) placing the 64 bit path before the 32 bit path in the path system variable
    3) creating a system variable TNS_ADMIN that points to the folder containing the tnsnames.ora file.

Finally I had to restart the ArcGIS Server process.

Ale
    Last edited by alassom; 06-06-2012 at 02:09 AM.

Derek Weatherbe
    Answers Provided

Hello,

I wanted to follow up on the reports in this thread where registering a database data store in Manager is displaying a dialog that says 'EDIT_PANE'. One known cause of the EDIT_PANE error is if the pre-configured System/PublishingTools service is stopped. Manager uses two tasks provided by this service for registering database data stores. We will improve this workflow for SP1 by detecting when the service is stopped and allowing you to start it immediately without navigating away from this dialog.

I also wanted to highlight the point made by Ale: Restarting the ArcGIS Server service after installing the client libraries and configuring the PATH variable is very important. That insures that all server processes are aware of the new PATH setting. For the folks that uninstalled/reinstalled and found that things started working, we could think of this is a very roundabout way of restarting the ArcGIS Server service and that is why it fixed things.

Thank you

Derek

Kevin Gooss
    Answers Provided

So in order to connect to spatial data inside of oracle i need to install TWO oracle client pieces of software?
    These are over 1GB each!
    And why assume that everyone works in the cloud and wants to copy data just to publish a service.
    Copying data was bad, is bad, and will always be bad.

Natarajan Venkatesakumar
    Answers Provided

Hi,

I have installed arcgis server 10.1 and try register oracle 10g database using oracle client 11g (64bit) using .sde file. It shows message "please wait while register geodatabase" . i didnt get any error also.
    But when i try to register through arccatelog 10.1 , it works fine.

Stephanie Snider
    Answers Provided

I am trying to register an ArcSDE 10.0 SP 4 database (Oracle 11G R2) as a data source in ArcGIS Server 10.1. Without the Publishing Tools geoprocessing service running, I tried to register, and the process ran overnight - no errors, but it didn't finish. The database is 5.1 TB. Does it normally take a long time to register a data source this large? Or could it be that it is failing to complete because the Publishing Tools service is not running?
    Stephanie Snider, GIS/Database Manager
    Nevada Division of State Lands

Nathan Heick
    Answers Provided

I just wanted to state that you don't need two clients to run ArcGIS Server 10.1. You need two clients if you want to install ArcGIS Desktop and ArcGIS Server on the same machine. Desktop still requires a 32-bit client and Server requires a 64-bit client. You can use the instant client if you want to save space.

Kimberly Peter

Answers Provided

Also note that you do not have to copy data to the server when you publish. See "If the publisher's machine and the server are working with the same database" section of this topic:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/...0000505000000/

In regards to needing two clients...you'll need the DBMS (32 bit) client for ArcGIS Desktop to make a direct connection to the database. Whether you need a DBMS client installed for ArcGIS Server to connect depends on whether or not ArcGIS Server is installed on the same machine as your database. If you have ArcGIS Server on the same server as your Oracle or SQL Server database, the files necessary for ArcGIS Server to connect to the database are already there. If ArcGIS Server is installed on a different machine than the database, then you will need to install the DBMS client software (64 bit) on the ArcGIS Server machine for ArcGIS Server to connect directly to the database.

Natarajan Venkatesakumar
    Answers Provided

Hi,

I installed arcgis desktop10.1 and arcgis server 10.1 in windows 2008 64 bit machine. I also installed oracle 11g client 32 bit and 64 bit on same machine. I am able to connect our database which is arcsde 9.3 in oracle 10g.

I registered my database using arccatelog successfully but whenever i try through arcgis server manager panel , It shows message "please wait while register geodatabase" but couldnt register.
    Now,when i try to publish it is copying all the data including images in folders which path is registered in server. How can i avoid copying the data to server?

Stephanie Snider
    Answers Provided

Like kumarnv, I too was able to register the database through ArcCatalog and not ArcGIS Server Manager. My initial problem when registering was due to a corrupt ArcGIS Server session. I restarted the ArcGIS Server service, then registered the database through ArcCatalog - it worked fine.

kumarnv, I wonder if the map document you are trying to publish contains layers that come from a different database connection than the one that you registered with ArcGIS Server. For example, I may have registered a data source using an SDE connection setup for a direct connect with the SDE user. But in my map document, I could be using datasets that are pulling from another SDE connection that is setup using the credentials of a different user account - one that hasn't been registered with ArcGIS Server.

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by stsnider; 10-11-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Natarajan Venkatesakumar
    Answers Provided

Dear stindsider,

I used same sde connection only. i created sde connection file using arcgis tools may use 32bit client. that may be the problem, since arcgis server can connect to database through 64bit client. I dont know how make sure that arcgis server connection to sde database through 64bit oracle client

regards
    Kumar

Stephanie Snider
    Answers Provided

For the correct way to setup the Oracle database client on a computer with ArcGIS Server and ArcGIS Desktop installed, see alassom's post earlier in this thread. It worked for me...

I recommend choosing the first install option. Or else make sure to include the Instant Client Package during a custom install.
    Open My Computer > Properties > Advanced System Settings
    On the Advanced Tab, Click Environment Variables
    In the System Variables section, scroll down to the "Path" variable, select it and click Edit. Make sure the directory for the 64 bit client is placed before the 32bit client.
    3) creating a system variable TNS_ADMIN that points to the folder containing the tnsnames.ora file.
    From the Environmental Variables window, click New under the System variables section.
    Variable Name = TNS_ADMIN
    Variable value = The directory location of your tnsnames.ora file

As far as the map service trying to copy your data onto the server when you don't want it to, please see this article. It might help. Good Luck!
    http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/...00003rn000000/
    Last edited by stsnider; 10-15-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Natarajan Venkatesakumar
    Answers Provided

Thanks. It is working fine. after set the path properly

regards
    Kumar

Dennis Geasan
    Answers Provided

For SQL Server users who might find this thread - as noted above, if the ArcGIS Server machine is different from the SQL Server machine hosting the SDE Geodatabase, you have to install the 64 bit "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Native Client" on the ArcGIS Server machine. One indication of this need is if you get the following error when trying to add a Data Store with ArcCatalog and ArcCatalog is not installed on the ArcGIS Server machine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DataStoreError.png
Views:	386
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	18669

Dennis Geasan
    GIS Technologies

Tyson Haverkort
    Answers Provided

I'm seeing this same error on Windows 2008 R2 x64 when connecting to SQL Server 2008R2. The part that concerns me is that I can go through the process of adding the database to the data store via ArcCatalog, and the sde connection is added. I can also verify the connection from ArcCatalog. When I log into Server Manager, I can see the entry in the data store, but it shows as unverified. When I attempt to verify in SM, I get the red exclaimation mark. I do have ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS for Server running on the same machine. Perhaps this indicates that the 32bit client is found, but the 64bit SQL Server client is not installed (correctly)? I'm guessing that even though the data store entry validates ok in Catalog, it's not really valid, as show in the SM?

Hussein Nasser
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by alassom View Post
    Hello, I solved the problem following these steps:

Finally I had to restart the ArcGIS Server process.

Ale

I had it all fixed, the only problem is that I forgot to restart ArcGIS Server service. So the steps that worked for me are as follows

1) installing 64 bit version of the oracle client
    2) Restart the ArcGIS for Server service.
    Hussein Nasser,
    ArcGIS for Server Expert, Author
    www.husseinnasser.com

+ Reply to Thread