+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pie chart should display only very thin outline

Stefan Schwarzer
    Answers Provided

Default Pie chart should display only very thin outline

Hi there,

I have some problems displaying pie charts nicely on my map. In both Data and Layout View, although I tried a lot in the properties for the outline, it still draws the outline as a pretty ugly, thick one. (Attached a screenshot) It seems that it draws anyway a very thick line, and whatever I define (thin yellow line) will be drawn on top of that...

Does anyone know a workaround to make the pie elements really thin?

Thanks for any hints!

Click image for larger version

Name:	pie.png
Views:	69
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	14044

David B

Answers Provided

Default Re: Pie chart should display only very thin outline

The thicker line you're seeing underneath the outline around the pie chart is the outline for the slices. You can edit that outline by editing the symbols for the slices.

Stefan Schwarzer
    Answers Provided

I thought so at one moment. But there seemed (and still seems) to be no possibility to change the properties for all elements at once. One needs to click through each and every one, and each time one changes the color ramp used, right?

Thanks for the tip!

David B

Answers Provided

You can change some of the properties for all symbols (or even just selected symbols, using Ctrl or Shift click to select more than one of the symbol patches) at once without affecting the color ramp. Outline is one of the properties you have access to this way. To change the outline for all of the pie slices try these steps:
    1. In the Layer Properties dialog,Symbology tab, with your pie charts set up, in the upper right where it shows headings for Symbol and Field and the various symbols and fields below that click on the Symbol heading. You should get a small context menu. Select Properties for All Symbols.
    2. This will bring up the Symbol Selector. On the right hand side where it shows Current Symbol edit the outline width and or color. Then click OK. Don't edit the fill color or any change there will be applied to all of the slices. Then OK out of the Layer Properties dialog and you should see your outline edits applied, without the fill color being changed.

+ Reply to Thread