+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Insert feature class name into field from iterator in model builder

John Zastrow
    Answers Provided

Default Insert feature class name into field from iterator in model builder

in ArcGIS 10 I have a model that iterates over feature classes in a workspace. Each FC table needs to know its own feature class name for text processing later. So, in the model I add a field to the attribute tables and need to write in either the feature class name or the %Name% variable that I use earlier in the model.

Sticking %Name% into the field calculator throws an error, and using %i% just records an integer. But I need a human readable string.

Any thoughts?

Jonathan Quinn

Answers Provided

Default Re: Insert feature class name into field from iterator in model builder

I assume you're using the Calculate Field tool to populate the feature class name field? In the Calculate Field tool, use the %Name% in line variable, surrounded by quotes, so "%Name%" and it should work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Calculate_Value.png
Views:	159
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	14083

John Zastrow
    Answers Provided

Thanks for the reply. I switched over to python so I gave up on MB. But I will try this when I get a moment.

Answers Provided

Hi

It doesn't seem to work for me, as the result is %Name% and not the name of my layer...

+ Reply to Thread