+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Geographic Coordinate System Warning Issue

Rick Geittmann
    Answers Provided

Default Geographic Coordinate System Warning Issue

A user has a workstation running XP32 and ArcView 10 concurrent license. When you bring in data with different coordinates the screen that should pop up to allow the user to tell the platform what transformation to use for the data does not come up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	error1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	14084

I have tried deleting the normal.mxt in both the ArcMap templates directory and the one located in the ArcCatalog directory that shows up.

After doing the above the warning screen came up once and not after that even if the above steps are repeated - I ensured that the check boxes were not checked preventing the message/option to pop up.

The issue shows up regardless of who is logged into the workstation (administrator / user).

Anyone have an idea of what is possibly causing the issue?

Rick

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Default Re: Geographic Coordinate System Warning Issue

Rick,

Not necessarily the answer to your issue but have you worked with any other feature class data...

Open a new data frame and set its coordinate system to WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere) before adding any data.
    Will the users features load into the data frame?
    Is the transformation pop-up presented?
    And does the Transformations... button give you any choices?

If that fails cancel out of adding the Feature class, and add features from the template data or from an Esri Data & Maps DVD.
    Does that come in?
    Does it prompt transformation?

Finally, try to add base map data from Bing Maps or ArcGIS Online service.
    Does that go into the data frame without transformation?
    Note: it should since that is the default coordinate system for Bing and ArcGIS Online services.

If only the original feature class source is faulting on insertion into the WGS 1984 Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere), then I'd suspect the extent of the data is not correctly set for the coordinate system it is set to.

Stuart

p.s. Any suggestions, Melita K.?
    Last edited by vsfoote; 05-03-2012 at 06:00 PM.

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Rick Geittmann
    Answers Provided

Doesn't matter what you do it will not show the popup window.

After doing some additional search on the web I stumbled onto a link for a forum thread - the issue is the result of a bug in the software and currently no fix issued.

Bhavna Kalla
    Answers Provided

When the data is added in ArcMap, dataframe acquires the Projection of first layer which is added unless we specify the Projection from Layer Properties. When more data is brought in, and if the data has different projection than of dataframe, it prompts you to define transformation with a dialogue box. For e.g. if my dataframe projection is NAD 27 and I bring data lets say the bing file WGS 84 as shown in screen capture. I need to click on transformation and define From NAD_27_to_WGS84_4 or NAD_27_to_WGS84_5 or from the choices depending upon where in the US (or world) my data lies in. This facilitates more accurate positioning of the data on the map.

Hope this helps!

Anna MacDonnell
    Answers Provided

I'm currently trying to complete the course Referencing Data to Real World Locations and my Geographic Coordinate System warning with the transformations button is not popping up. I cannot proceed with the course until I figure out how to view the warning. Can someone please help?
    Thanks.

Melita Kennedy

Answers Provided

You can always skip the warning and just open the transformations dialog from the data frame properties, coordinate system tab.

It's possible that the warning has been turned off. If you have admin/super user rights, try starting the AdvancedArcMapSettings program in the ArcGIS installation, Utilities folder. On the TOC/Data tab, the check box for "Skip Datum Check" is in the middle on the left in the "Working with Data" section.

If it's not checked, it may be how the data is being added. Not all methods trigger the warning. Try using the Add Data button if you were copy/pasting or click/dragging between Catalog and Map.

Melita
    Melita Kennedy
    Sr. Esri Product Engineer

Anna MacDonnell
    Answers Provided

I don't see a Transformations button on the dataframe's coordinate system tab:

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	30608

Melita Kennedy

Answers Provided

That's...interesting. Here's what my 10.2 looks like even before adding any data to ArcMap:

Name:	dfproperties.PNG
Views:	14
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	30675

Have you noticed any other property page/form issues? Text or boxes offset? One thing to try in that case is to delete any templates you have for ArcMap (Normal.mxt). A more extreme fix could be going into the registry and renaming the ESRI section. See this technical article for a similar issue. It's fixing the location of a dialog. Instead of those steps, you would browse to the same ESRI section of the registry and rename it to ESRI_old or something similar.

Melita
    Melita Kennedy
    Sr. Esri Product Engineer

+ Reply to Thread