+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding Z values to a raster

Matt Love
    Answers Provided

Default Adding Z values to a raster

How do I add the z values from a raster that has elevation or Z values to another raster so I can then apply hillshade effect within ArcMap?

Duncan Hornby
    Answers Provided

Question Re: Adding Z values to a raster

If you have a raster that has elevation values then these are the Z values, so not sure what you are asking? Just use the Hill Shade tool.
    If you feel my response answered your question please vote it up, I want to be famous!

Matt Love
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Adding Z values to a raster

Sorry for the confusion. I have a bathymetry dataset with Z values. I want to transfer those Z values to another raster, in this case bottom sediment type so I can then apply the hillshade directly to the sediment type raster. Otherwise, overlaying the "flat" sediment type raster on the bathymetry obscures the bathymetry. Transparency is not satisfactory because of the color scheme of the underlying bathymetry altering the transparent classes of the sediment raster so the colors of the sediment classes in the legend and the classes on the map do not match. I tried to use ArcScene which allows the assignment of Z values to one layer from an underlying raster, which provides the desired effect. However I have not successfully been able to export that scene from ArcScene with the correct raster resolution to be used in ArcMap. There are a couple of resolution settings of the export that are not intuitive to me.

I'm hoping there is a process to assign Z values from one raster to another. I need to apply Any guidance or advice is helpful. Thanks.

Eric Rice

Answers Provided

Matt,

A pixel can have only one value. If you gave your sediment type raster a bunch of z values it would be nothing more than a copy of the bathymetry data. Check out this blog post called, "An alternative to overlaying layer tints on hillshades". I think your situation would apply.

Regards,
    Eric
    Eric Rice
    Product Engineer
    Esri Software Products

Matt Love
    Answers Provided

Thanks Eric. That solution did work. The resulting image is much darker than the original symbology. I'll have to mess around with the settings to figure them out.

Matt Love
    Answers Provided

Thanks Eric. I attached a portion of each resulting tiff. The Before.tif is what the raster looked like prior to the overlay functions resulting in the After.tif raster.
    Attached Files

+ Reply to Thread