+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Points to Lines

Lisa Dygert
    Answers Provided

Question Points to Lines

Hello,

I need to be able to create directional drilling lines from well points. I have a VB script that works now, but with VB being phased out I would like to be able to complete the same function in Python (which I don't know that well yet). There are thousands of points in the file, but I need to create a line between only those with the same unique ID (well head versus bottom holes). I looked at the Create Lines from Points tool, but there is no option to select only those features with the same unique ID. I am using 9.3.1 at the moment and will not have access to 10 for another year or so due to IT restrictions and I need this ability ASAP. Anybody have any suggestions?
    I can either have the well heads and bottom holes in the same file or as separate files if either method tends to work more efficiently or effectively.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Lisa Dygert

Nobbir Ahmed

Answers Provided

Default Re: Points to Lines

Quote Originally Posted by ldcarto View Post
    I need to be able to create directional drilling lines from well points. I have a VB script that works now, but with VB being phased out I would like to be able to complete the same function in Python (which I don't know that well yet).
    If your VB code is not proprietory, could you share your code (send to nahmed@esri.com)? We can tell you whether your code could be translated into Python as is. Thanks.

Dan Lee

Answers Provided

Default Re: Points to Lines

Have you tried this python script tool for ArcGIS 9.3:
    http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=15945

This tool creates lines from points with a Field option, e.g. unique_ID field.
    Dan (Geoprocessing)

+ Reply to Thread