+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 10.1 Connecting to older SDE / Server

Scott Lamon
    Answers Provided

Default 10.1 Connecting to older SDE / Server

I am trying to test out the pre release of 10.1 and it will not connect to SDE 9.3.1 nor will it connect to our Server 9.3.1 or 10

SDE is running SP2. The connection setup sees the various databases, but i keep getting: Failed to Connect to database. Failed to access DBMS server.

On the server side I can connect to the 10 server as a user, but not as an admin or publisher despite being able to connect earlier with ArcGIS 10 and through server manager. For some reason, when trying to connect with 10.1 I get:

---------------------------
    Add ArcGIS Server
    We were unable to connect to: http://fc1tag99/arcgis/services.

Error: Proxy server got bad address from remote server (verify the server is running).
    OK

Premkrishnan Radhakrishnan
    Answers Provided

Default Re: 10.1 Connecting to older SDE / Server

Same problem here, can ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 be used to administer ArcSDE and ArcGIS Server 10 ? If so how? Nowhere in the documentation can I see anything about connecting to ArcGIS 10

Ted Cronin

Answers Provided

No. 10.1 can use 10 services, but to admin or publish, you will need 10.1 Desktop to work with Server 10.1

For SDE Admin, it is supported. Perhaps try the dbase connection files for your database release.
    Regards,

Ted C
    County of Riverside - Assessor/Clerk/Recorder
    ValueGIS

Premkrishnan Radhakrishnan
    Answers Provided

We got SDE to connect by installing the SQL Server 2008 client that was the issue as in this article http://support.esri.com/en/knowledge...s/detail/37287. But no matter what we tried we could not connect to an ArcGIS 10 Server from ArcCatalog 10.1 , any ideas?

Ted Cronin

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by philojuan View Post
    We got SDE to connect by installing the SQL Server 2008 client that was the issue as in this article http://support.esri.com/en/knowledge...s/detail/37287. But no matter what we tried we could not connect to an ArcGIS 10 Server from ArcCatalog 10.1 , any ideas?
    You are trying to connect to ArcGIS Server 10 from ArcGIS Desktop 10.1, correct?

ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 does not support connecting to ArcGIS Server 10 in either the Admin or Publisher roles. It can connect as a User. Have you tried as a User?
    Regards,

Ted C
    County of Riverside - Assessor/Clerk/Recorder
    ValueGIS

Scott Lamon
    Answers Provided

We were able to log into SDE 9.3.1. I have no idea what i did differently from when I posted the original comment.

We still can't connect as an admin user to Server, but it looks like that's how it's supposed to be. We do have user access and can consume previously published services.

Yakeen AbdulMajeed
    Answers Provided

Default Connecting to 10.1 Server from 10.1 Desktop

Hi,

I am trying to publish a map service to our new freshly installed ArcGIS server 10.1. When I make a new ArcGIS server 10.1 connection from ArcGIS 10.1 desktop. I get the follwing error - "Proxy server got bad address from remote server(verify the server is running)"

What does this error mean?

regards,

Yakeen

+ Reply to Thread