+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 License manager concurrent use invalid hostname

David McCann
    Answers Provided

Default ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 License manager concurrent use invalid hostname

I've upgraded to ArcGIS Desktop 10.1. Uninstalled both old versions of the license manager and desktop then installed version 10.1.

I'm running license manger on another server with a concurrent use license. All diagnostics on the license manager check out good but when I try to define the license manager for a desktop installation it responds with an invalid hostname error. I can ping the hostname and it resolves. I've even temporarily disabled Windows server 2003 firewall.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Dave

Matt Simmons
    Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 License manager concurrent use invalid hostname

Did you install the 10.1 license manager? I don't think the license manager used with version 10 will support 10.1, however the license manager with 10.1 WILL support 9.x and 10x versions.

David McCann
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by msimmons75 View Post
    Did you install the 10.1 license manager? I don't think the license manager used with version 10 will support 10.1, however the license manager with 10.1 WILL support 9.x and 10x versions.
    Sure did. Status says it's running.

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

I too am having issues with ArcGIS Administrator 10.1 (final) attaching to the 10.1 (final) License Manager when trying to use the IP address of the host. If I use the LM server name it works. We have users that are off the network that need to use the IP address, so this is critical for us.

With 10.1 pre-release, the IP address worked fine. A desktop 10.0 sp3 machine still can attach to 10.1 final LM using the IP. So, I don't think it is a problem with the LM, but the Desktop release maybe?

Dave, are you pointing to the machine name or IP? I have an incident in to tech support on this, so if it's the IP, I'll make sure to let you know what I find out.
    Rebecca (Becky)
    AK Dept of Fish and Game - Wildlife - GIS

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

This is an update to my issue with using IP addresses for Desktop 10.1 accessing the License Manager 10.1

This is confirmed as bug NIM081698. Hopefully they will be reviewing it right away. It seems to come down to the Desktop Administrator not accessing or updating the registry correctly. It also seems to ignore the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE variable right now. If you are brave, this can be fixed with a manual registry edit, but not necessarily a good deployment option. Hopefully this is something they can patch quickly, or at least give those of us that need it the registry item effected for the various OS. BTW - this only seem to be with Desktop 10.1, previous versions still update with Desktop Admin or the variable just fine (I prefer the variable for users outside or network/firewall, btw).
    Rebecca (Becky)

Josh White
    Answers Provided

I have run into this issue as well, I tried to get on Esri Chat and they are apparently swamped and I wasn't able to get a tech but reception forwarded the request on. This is a MAJOR bug so hopefully they do find a patch soon.

Donny Velazquez
    Answers Provided

Exclamation Re: ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 License manager concurrent use invalid hostname

I'm having the same issue. Except my license manager isn't giving out any licenses! I tried connecting an ArcMap 10 client and it refuses.
    Donny Velazquez
    Follow me on Twitter

Josh White
    Answers Provided

Hey, I thought I'd point out what Support discovered was my case, my Firewall was not allowing the license manager to run properly. We disabled the firewall and and it worked. Obviously, I can't leave it disabled so some exceptions will have to be made, I haven't done that yet, waiting for IT to do it, so I'm not sure how succesful it is. Support directed me to have IT open a few ports. If you are interested and want more info, give me your email and I will forward what she sent to me.

Donny Velazquez
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by ksjosh82 View Post
    Hey, I thought I'd point out what Support discovered was my case, my Firewall was not allowing the license manager to run properly. We disabled the firewall and and it worked. Obviously, I can't leave it disabled so some exceptions will have to be made, I haven't done that yet, waiting for IT to do it, so I'm not sure how succesful it is. Support directed me to have IT open a few ports. If you are interested and want more info, give me your email and I will forward what she sent to me.
    Don't think its firewall issues since I had v10 license manager on there and it was working. But I'll give it a try.
    Thanks, I sent you my email.
    Donny Velazquez
    Follow me on Twitter

Carlos Isaac Cabrera
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by dvela View Post
    Don't think its firewall issues since I had v10 license manager on there and it was working. But I'll give it a try.
    Thanks, I sent you my email.
    Try the fully qualified domain name. This sounds like a DNS issue, also try the IP address of the license server.

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

The NIM (bug) refers to trying to attach to the LM using the IP address instead of the server name. We already have a port open that we have used with all the previous releases of LM/desktop. I have all users set this in their system variables.

All 9.3 and 10.0 clients are still able to use this set up and attach to the 10.1 LM. The problem is introduced with the 10.1 desktop client. It ignores the system variable that is set.

A value can be set in the registry that can override this, and we (tech support and I) have had luck with including the info in the hosts file, but these still only working when on the network. When we really need to us the IP is for those user (many) that are not attched to the network (remote offices and firld camps. We haven't been able to get that to work yet, even with the normal open port method that has worked before.

I know the ESRI is definitely working on this now, but if it's an issue for you, have them add you to the NIM. When I escalated it, I could only list the users in my org as how many user it will affect, since that's all I could speak for....but my guess is there are a lot of us out there.
    Rebecca (Becky)

Donny Velazquez
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by isaac@clovis View Post
    Try the fully qualified domain name. This sounds like a DNS issue, also try the IP address of the license server.
    Yup, tried all of that too, still no worky.
    Donny Velazquez
    Follow me on Twitter

Carlos Isaac Cabrera
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by dvela View Post
    Yup, tried all of that too, still no worky.
    Only work around I see is if they have laptops. Check out licenses to them for now and fix the solution, then set it up correctly later.

Donny Velazquez
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by isaac@clovis View Post
    Only work around I see is if they have laptops. Check out licenses to them for now and fix the solution, then set it up correctly later.
    I'm just going to wait until ESRI patches this.
    Donny Velazquez
    Follow me on Twitter

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Becky,

Quote Originally Posted by rastrauch View Post
    ...The problem is introduced with the 10.1 desktop client. It ignores the system variable that is set.

A value can be set in the registry that can override this, and we (tech support and I) have had luck with including the info in the hosts file, but these still only working when on the network. ...
    Would you please share what registry value you are setting, and what value you've had to add to the host file.

Perhaps you also could post up a screen capture of the NIM 081698 item. It seems to be locked down and unavailable to the rest of us users.

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by vsfoote View Post
    Becky,
    Would you please share what registry value you are setting, and what value you've had to add to the host file.
    Perhaps you also could post up a screen capture of the NIM 081698 item. It seems to be locked down and unavailable to the rest of us users.
    Stuart
    Hi Stuart,
    NIM081698 "When using the IP address from the ArcGIS administrator in 10.1, connection to the License Manager fails. Error:" <IP_address> is an invalid hostname. Please enter a valid hostname."

Sorry about not posting something already, but I was hoping for a real fix. Keep in mind that none of these workarounds fixed the problem for my users outside our firewall, even trying all diferent combination with our open port (that works with 10.0 and 9.x clients). So even though they have "workarounds" listed, they are only partial fixes for internal IP connections, and the NIM is still OPEN. I also have the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE system variable set, which is what made it work with the previous clients, but it didn't seem to help 10.1 at all. Below are the workarounds listed with the NIM (with my comments)

I would suggest modifying the HOSTS file first since that seemed to work just as well as changing the registry key.
    Workaround 2:

Add the IP address of the License Manager to the hosts file under

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

<ip address> server_name

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    # ::1 localhost

10.10.10.100 PETER (BTW -this is the only line to add, for those not familiar with the hosts file)

Then use the name "PETER" for the license server even if this is not the License Manager hostname.

--Note: I found that the name can be anything, as long as if starts with alpha character, so using the sample IP above
    <indent>10.10.10.100 AV10.10.10.100</indent>
    -- with the name being "AV10.10.10.100" would work just as well as their "PETER" sample. So keep it logical if not the machine name.

The registry key/value listed was for a 64 bit server (my test machine) so path names for this may vary (as the hosts file location could vary slight depending on OS).
    Set the License Manager through the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\License10.1 >LICENSE_SERVER value to

the IP address.

I'll check with tech support this morning to see what the status is, and will add a status update later today. At a minimum, I've asked for a KB article covering the registry key for each of the supported OS, if this does end up working some how.

Becky
    Rebecca (Becky)

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Becky,

Thanks for the additional info.

Just verified that the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE variable is not working with the 10.1 Final release clients. Which makes all of the Desktop 10.1 ArcGIS Administrator tool (anything dependent on ArcGISAdmin.exe and ArcGISAdmin_libFNP.dll or configured in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin folder) suspect for now. ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE was functional for the 10.1 Prerelease.

I have used the hosts file in the past, and notably recently on the license server to allow it to talk to itself via 127.0.0.1 loopback--but it presents a challenge since the average user will not have write permissions to the System32 folder.

But we here, and others, are able to address the license server by IP without issue--setting the LICENSE_SERVER value either with a registry editor session or using ArcGIS Administrator. Both <port>@<IP>, or @<IP> formats work in addition to using a @<FQDN> based address. That kind of suggests to me that your DNS server and possibly NAT/PAT isolation (i.e. Firewall) of your license server may be at least some of the the issue for your internal users and for users outside your network not being able to route their FlexNet license requests via IP--do you provide VPN service they can tunnel in through? Once on VPN they should receive internal DNS across the tunnel.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 06-19-2012 at 04:51 PM.

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

But since we are able to address the license server by IP without issue--setting the LICENSE_SERVER value either with a registry editor session or using ArcGIS Administrator. Both <port>@<IP>, or @<IP> formats work in addition to using a @<FQDN> based address. That kind of suggests to me that your DNS server and possibly NAT/PAT isolation (i.e. Firewall) of your license server may be at least some of the the issue for your internal users and for users outside your network not being able to route their FlexNet license requests via IP--do you provide VPN service they can tunnel in through? Once on VPN they should receive internal DNS across the tunnel.
    Stuart
    (Hopefully this isn't a repeat....lots of blue screens today from my DVD writer and I think it crashed before I sen thte last response was posted)

Stuart, I don't think having all our users on VPN is an option, although I am not a network administrator. I do know that our <open port>@<ip> worked for 9.x and 10.0, and I also believe it worked with 10.1 beta, but not sure I ever tested it with pre-release. I'm also pretty sure that nothing has change with our DNS or firewall in the past couple weeks. The port we've been using still is open or I would have heard a lot of complaints by now.

I am able to connect using the <ip> inhouse if I modify the hosts file, so it's really the external users (the majority) that I need a workaround for. With our very sluggish network connections in Alaska, we have been using the <port>@<ip> and ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE variable options even for those on the state network but in remote communities...it seems to speed up the connection to the license manage to those office (vs. using just the LM server name). Other users MUST connect that way because they are on private ISPs or working from temporary field camps...or are travelling.

(I haven't heard back from tech support today, but I noticed my incident was "closed". i'm not sure if it's policy to close the inc. if a bug/NIM is spun off or not, but it definately isn't solved yet that I can tell.)
    Rebecca (Becky)

Badrinarayana Lakkur
    Answers Provided

Becky,

Thanks for the additional info.

Just verified that the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE variable is not working with the 10.1 Final release clients. Which makes all of the Desktop 10.1 ArcGIS Administrator tool (anything dependent on ArcGISAdmin.exe and ArcGISAdmin_libFNP.dll or configured in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin folder) suspect for now. ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE was functional for the 10.1 Prerelease.

I have used the hosts file in the past, and notably recently on the license server to allow it to talk to itself via 127.0.0.1 loopback--but it presents a challenge since the average user will not have write permissions to the System32 folder.

But we here, and others, are able to address the license server by IP without issue--setting the LICENSE_SERVER value either with a registry editor session or using ArcGIS Administrator. Both <port>@<IP>, or @<IP> formats work in addition to using a @<FQDN> based address. That kind of suggests to me that your DNS server and possibly NAT/PAT isolation (i.e. Firewall) of your license server may be at least some of the the issue for your internal users and for users outside your network not being able to route their FlexNet license requests via IP--do you provide VPN service they can tunnel in through? Once on VPN they should receive internal DNS across the tunnel.

Stuart
    Hi Stuart,

We are not able to reproduce the problem with the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE environment variable. Can you tell me how you have it configured?

Thanks,
    Badri

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Badri,

Registry Edit to Not_Set or assign a nonsense entry for LICENSE_SERVER value in either of these keys:
    (64 bit OS)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\License10.1

(32 bit OS)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\License10.1

Create an ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE environment variable. Either from Start --> Computer --> Properties --> System Properties --> Advanced --> Environment Variables --> System Variables -- New...
    or directly with registry edit in the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

key creating a New String Value. Then modify with the <port>@<FQDN>, or @<FQDN>, or <port>@<IP>, or @<IP>.

Then launch ArcGIS Administrator -- the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE variable just created will show the value entered. And from Desktop --> Availability if the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE value is being resolved, the panel should show the full pool. Unfortunately it is not honored, and the Availability panel will show only the unauthorized/unactivated seat with no license or available seats. See attached...

Stuart
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ArcGISAdministrator_start.PNG‎
Views:	1770
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	15363   Click image for larger version

Name:	ArcGISAdministrator_Desktop.PNG‎
Views:	1536
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	15364   Click image for larger version

Name:	ArcGISAdministrator_Availability.PNG‎
Views:	1672
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	15365  
    Last edited by vsfoote; 06-20-2012 at 10:18 AM.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Badri, et. all

Further to the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE not being honored by libFNP.dll components, a LM_LICENSE_FILE environmental variable with an ArcGIS License Server host entered is also not being processed by the Desktop 10.1 (final) licensing. Same result as with the Esri specific ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE environmental variable.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 06-20-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Badrinarayana Lakkur
    Answers Provided

The ArcGIS Administrator currently only displays available licenses from a license manager specified in the utility, it does not read the one defined in the environment variable. However when launching ArcMap the license is picked up from the LM defined in the environment variable. We can definitely look into making the ArcGIS Admin. display the Availability of the LM defined in the environment variable as well.

Thanks,
    Badri

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Badri,

OMG, you are absolutely correct! For some reason I did not even try launching ArcMap with the LICENSE_SERVER not set but ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE variable pointing to a valid server. Rather, I just read zeros in the Availability panel and didn't try.

I've now verified that both the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE and the LM_LICENSE_FILE do function as they always had--ArcGIS 10.1 will launch and consume license without fuss using the variables.

Of course, being unable to use ArcGIS Administrator, borrowing against the Environment Variable set license pool is going to be a little difficult.

So yes the ArcGIS Administrator GUI needs some additional work!

And, while looking at that--can you revisit your validation code used in the License Manager (for Concurrent Use software products): Change.. object.

In the ArcGIS Administrator panels, would expect we should be able to enter a valid license server by at least its Dot4 IP address. We should not to have to use the workaround of a manual registry edit to enter an IP as the LICENSE_SERVER value. Remains to be seen how IPv6 starts to impact things as it becomes more widely used.

So, perhaps include a check box, or radio button, on the panel to accept the exact value entered gets written to the registry LICENSE_SERVER value--without attempting to resolve first via Host file or DNS lookup, and also to bypasses verification of entry is an active ARCGIS Vendor FlexNet license pool.

Think doing that would help with FlexNet Publisher latency or Firewall issues causing timeouts during setup.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 06-21-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

That kind of suggests to me that your DNS server and possibly NAT/PAT isolation (i.e. Firewall) of your license server may be at least some of the issue for your internal users and for users outside your network not being able to route their FlexNet license requests via IP
    Stuart
    Stuart, you may have been right about DNS issues for our external 10.1 clients. It didn’t seem likely since the 9.x/10.0 clients worked just fine with our normal setup. But yesterday IT fixed some issues with our DNS, so maybe that WAS part of the problem. Unfortunate timing. I'm trying it from home again today and having better luck.

I know much of this is a repeat of the thread above, I but want to summarize what has worked for me now, in case it helps other.

OUR NEED: I like to use the <port>@<ip> whether within the firewall (in building or in a remote office) or outside the firewall, 1) for consistency for user setup/support, 2) because that specifying the <port>@<ip> seems to speeds up LM connections, especially noticeable for remote users, and 3) because the open <port> portion is required for those outside the firewall.

ISSUE: with the 10.1(final release, June 2012):
    1) ArcGIS (Desktop) Administrator will not currently accept an IP address for the license manager. Error “ xxx.xx.xxx.xxx is an invalid hostname. Please enter a valid hostname.” It WILL accept machine name (within firewall and/or if fully-qualified-domain-name accessible outside firewall)
    2) ArcGIS Administrator may be ignoring the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE system variable. At aminimum, the “licenses available” are not displaying correctly, as Badri confirmed above.

NEED to come up with a common solution for all our users that has minimum manual tweaking, flexible enough for swapping to other LMs when needed, and doesn’t run into security/admin roadblocks\restrictions for our staff,

In our case, we already have the open <port> and license manager configured http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/...0000000w000000
    License manager is working correctly, so this just deals with the client machine end.

Set both the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE variable AND the registry value as shown by Stuart, but use the <port>@<ip> for both values
    <<MODIFIED by rastrauch>>
    1. Registry Edit for LICENSE_SERVER value in either of these keys, set value to your <port>@<ip> or just the <ip> is you don’t need the port
    (64 bit OS)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\License10.1

(32 bit OS)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\License10.1

2) Create an ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE environment variable. Either from Start --> Computer --> Properties --> System Properties --> Advanced --> Environment Variables --> System Variables -- New...
    or directly with registry edit in the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment

key creating a New String Value. Then modify with the <port>@<FQDN>, or @<FQDN>, or <port>@<IP>, or @<IP>. <<can include multiple entries with ; (semi-colon)>>

By setting both, I was able to see the available licenses (although maybe not the first time I started ArcGIS Administrator after the updates). To actually change the LM to a different server (e.g. our license checkout pool), I had to modify the LICENSE_SERVER registry value again.

We have a VBScript (.vbs) file that allows us to create/modify the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE and can share that if anyone is interested (will attach as .txt file). I’m hoping to have one to help with setting the registry soon until this gets fixed on the ArcGIS Administrator client end.

BTW – although the editing the hosts files did allow me to access the LM machine internally with an alias, it did nothing for machines that couldn’t see the IP address and machine name already. So the above solution is what seems to work best at this time for us.

I hope this is helpful for others.
    Attached Files
    Rebecca (Becky)

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

UPDATE - simpler non-evasive workaround when using IPs for license manager:

By accident, one of my colleagues discovered that putting a comma after the entry in ArcGIS Desktop administrator works, and actually changes the registry key. The system variable ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE may still need to be set up before it recognizes the new value IP.

1. Create an ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE environment variable.
    XP - From Start --> My Computer (right-clight for) --> Properties --> Advanced --> Environment Variables --> System Variables -- New. Variable Name: ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE Variable Value: your LM info <port>@<FQDN>, or @<FQDN>, or <port>@<IP>, or @<IP>. <<can include multiple entries with ; (semi-colon)>>

Win7 - From Start --> Computer (right-clight for) --> Properties --> (on Left) Advanced System Settingses --> Environment Variables --> System Variables -- New. Variable Name: ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE Variable Value: your LM info <port>@<FQDN>, or @<FQDN>, or <port>@<IP>, or @<IP>. <<can include multiple entries with ; (semi-colon)>>

2. Launch ArcGIS Administrator -- the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE variable just set should appear at the bottom of the main page. In License Manger field, enter your "<port>@<ip>," (without the quotes, but including the comma). for example:
    1234@456.78.901.23,

If it still gives and error about being an invalid host, check the variables in step 1 again. It shouldn't need a reboot, but that never hurts either.

Since this did update the registry, the number of licenses should also show correctly.
    Last edited by rastrauch; 06-26-2012 at 01:22 PM. Reason: removed the added note about semi-colon
    Rebecca (Becky)

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Becky,

I think you've solved it!

I wanted to strike this comment while editing, but Esri's vBulletin based forum is not taking the code. -vsf

[S]But, rather than an ending "comma", it has to be a "semi-colon" to close the License Manager field entry when using IP in ArcGIS Administrator --> Desktop panel.[/S]

[S]Using the closing semi-colon the change button will honor IP addresses, with or without a <port>@ specification. And if I remember FlexNet Publisher documentation, the "semi-colon" is the field separator between license pools for Windows, while the "comma" is the field separator for Unix/Linux. Anyhow, on my Windows systems the "semi-colon" works, "comma" does not.[/S]

Also, believe use of the LM_LICENSE_FILE, or ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE will still not be read by ArcGIS Administrator for borrowing and such--per Badri Esri has to change the interface and release a patch for that. Simple test to prove it to yourself--clear the License Manager entry. Set ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE with or with out "comma, or semi-colon" -- check availability from ArcGIS Administrator -- any show? If not ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE variable is not being read.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 06-26-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

Thanks Stuart. Semi-colon makes more sense, and I'll give that a try tonight (outside the network). .....I just tried the semi-colon within the network where the comma worked....semi-colon doesn't work for me. -ras note2: using both the comma followed by a semi-colon worked -ras

Just got word from esri that the fix in in the code for 10.1 SP1 (no release date given, and I didn't ask...). So, that may break our workarounds.

@stuart - did you say you received a patch from Badri so we don't have to wait for the SP1?
    Last edited by rastrauch; 06-26-2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: added note re: semi-colon not working
    Rebecca (Becky)

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Becky,

Sorry for confusion. No, no patch yet from Badri--just that they are looking at handling the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE variable within the ArcGISAdmin.exe utility.

And, I just checked on a Desktop 10.1 client the "comma" is the correct terminator to use in the field!

Realized that in making my earlier comments with the "semi-colon" I was at a 10.0 client--Duh! -- So "comma" for now with 10.1, but "semi-colon" would be more in line with FlexNet Publisher practices--and the problem remains how Esri has coded the field validation for the ArcGIS Administrator.

Stuart

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

Just got word that the patch is now available. It fixed my issues when using <port>@<ip> and/or <ip> for license manager. No more comma needed.

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/...94&MetaID=1888

Answer: Apply the patch to ArcGIS 10.1 release.
    Last edited by rastrauch; 06-28-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Comment...it worked for me!
    Rebecca (Becky)

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

So, takes about 6 minutes to run the patch--lots of Microsoft Installer thrash.

But, applying the patch does resolve problems with entry of an IPv4 --dotted.quad--field validation of the License Manager entry.

"COMMA" no longer necessary!

And, it handles a translated "::ffff:123.123.123.123" IPv4 so assume it correctly handles the various IPv6 notations.

The <port>@ notations are solid as well.

This is good

Stuart

Bubba Hey
    Answers Provided

I haven't read all the responses, but if you can connect to the machine with the License Manager and you are using a Firewall, that's your issue. See: http://support.esri.com/en/knowledge...s/detail/38481

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

@bubbahey25,

Welcome to the fray, but please do read entire threads before jumping in. You'll see that in this case this was an issue with the Desktop 10.1 ArcGIS Administrator utility that required Esri to issue an out of cycle patch to repair.

Stuart

Bubba Hey
    Answers Provided

thanks! My bad as the cliche goes. Although I do hope users read the article I posted, it is a common problem (and easy solution) for people using License Manager
    when going through a Firewall. Also works for 10.1 by the way

Richard Daniels
    Answers Provided

Lightbulb Re: ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 License manager concurrent use invalid hostname

When you upgraded the services.txt file at C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\License10.1\bin (or C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\License10.1\bin) will be overwritten. This file contains any customizations for port numbers you may have done opened. After adding port numbers into your services.txt file it should look similar to this.

SERVER mylicense server ANY 27004
    VENDOR ARCGIS PORT=1234
    INCREMENT ACT ARCGIS 1 permanent 1 0CxxxxfffffBxxxx6 \
    vendor_info=xxxxCAPxxxxfffffff

In the above example we are locking the vendor damon to port 1234 and the TCP port is locked to 27004.

Note this was issue was first written about in ESRI KB 26134 for ArcGIS 8.x and 9.x.
    Last edited by danielri; 07-09-2012 at 10:37 AM.

Scott Taylor
    Answers Provided

Talking Re: ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 License manager concurrent use invalid hostname

Just wanted to saythanks to the people who put so much effort into fixing this. I added a semicolon after our licence server name in the registry entry for the licence server and it worked! So simple! I have now run the patch (but I've left the semicolon there!)

Thanks Becky and others! Well done!

Oz.
    UPDATE - simpler non-evasive workaround when using IPs for license manager:

By accident, one of my colleagues discovered that putting a comma after the entry in ArcGIS Desktop administrator works, and actually changes the registry key. The system variable ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE may still need to be set up before it recognizes the new value IP.

1. Create an ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE environment variable.
    XP - From Start --> My Computer (right-clight for) --> Properties --> Advanced --> Environment Variables --> System Variables -- New. Variable Name: ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE Variable Value: your LM info <port>@<FQDN>, or @<FQDN>, or <port>@<IP>, or @<IP>. <<can include multiple entries with ; (semi-colon)>>

Win7 - From Start --> Computer (right-clight for) --> Properties --> (on Left) Advanced System Settingses --> Environment Variables --> System Variables -- New. Variable Name: ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE Variable Value: your LM info <port>@<FQDN>, or @<FQDN>, or <port>@<IP>, or @<IP>. <<can include multiple entries with ; (semi-colon)>>

2. Launch ArcGIS Administrator -- the ARCGIS_LICENSE_FILE variable just set should appear at the bottom of the main page. In License Manger field, enter your "<port>@<ip>," (without the quotes, but including the comma). for example:
    1234@456.78.901.23,

If it still gives and error about being an invalid host, check the variables in step 1 again. It shouldn't need a reboot, but that never hurts either.

Since this did update the registry, the number of licenses should also show correctly.

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Ozplanman View Post
    Just wanted to saythanks to the people who put so much effort into fixing this. I added a semicolon after our licence server name in the registry entry for the licence server and it worked! So simple! I have now run the patch (but I've left the semicolon there!)

Oz.
    Thanks @Ozplanman It's nice to know that the semicolon doesn't break it after the patch.

Since the Admin patch actually does fix the problem though, for my users, I've been skipping the semicolon part altogether now and tell them them during the LM setup during install of 10.1 to:
    1) say they will set up the LM later,
    2) apply the patch [URL="http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/194/metaid/1888"]10.1 Admin patch]
    3) then go back into ArcGIS Administrator to point to your license manager.

You pretty much mentioned that in your note, but with the quote, just wanted to make sure people knew they don't have to put the comma or semi-colon if they follow the 3 steps above. But, as you pointed out, it doesn't seem to break it so either way should work.

Since service pack 1 is due out any day now, this may change things, but my guess it will just replace the need for the Admin patch unless it does a complete uninstall/reinstall.....however, since the 10.0 (final) usually needs to be installed before a SP, it may still come into play. Guess we'll have to wait and see.
    Rebecca (Becky)

Scott Taylor
    Answers Provided

Hi Bek and others,

Well this is a tad annoying...one of our staff has installed 10.1 on a Win 7 machine and we've run the patch and it still stubbornly refuses to find the licence server...colons, semicolons, commas and left handed wingnuts notwithstanding! Has anyone else found this? We use a server name not an IP address and it works fine on my machine. Another staff member found that waiting a day or two seemed to get around the issue. Does the server need a reboot?

Thanks
    Oz.

Thanks @Ozplanman It's nice to know that the semicolon doesn't break it after the patch.

Since the Admin patch actually does fix the problem though, for my users, I've been skipping the semicolon part altogether now and tell them them during the LM setup during install of 10.1 to:
    1) say they will set up the LM later,
    2) apply the patch [URL="http://support.esri.com/en/downloads/patches-servicepacks/view/productid/194/metaid/1888"]10.1 Admin patch]
    3) then go back into ArcGIS Administrator to point to your license manager.

You pretty much mentioned that in your note, but with the quote, just wanted to make sure people knew they don't have to put the comma or semi-colon if they follow the 3 steps above. But, as you pointed out, it doesn't seem to break it so either way should work.

Since service pack 1 is due out any day now, this may change things, but my guess it will just replace the need for the Admin patch unless it does a complete uninstall/reinstall.....however, since the 10.0 (final) usually needs to be installed before a SP, it may still come into play. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Rachel B
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by bubbahey25 View Post
    thanks! My bad as the cliche goes. Although I do hope users read the article I posted, it is a common problem (and easy solution) for people using License Manager
    when going through a Firewall. Also works for 10.1 by the way
    Bubbahey,
    I'm having trouble locating the service.txt file in 10.1, can you give this exact path?
    Thanks
    Rachel

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Rachel,

The service.txt configuration file is installed by default as a part of the the ArcGIS 10.1 License Manager. The default installation location is C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\License10.1\bin, but could have been changed to another directory during installation.

See this 10.1 specific help: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/...000000w000000/

Stuart

Answers Provided

thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Maxim Silin
    Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 License manager concurrent use invalid hostname

First of all, thanks to everyone for your valuable input!

Secondly, the ArcGIS Admin patch definitely helps to resolve the issue:
    http://support.esri.com/en/downloads...94/metaid/1888

However, what I've noticed was that even with the patch installed on the client side, the client would still get an 'Invalid Host Name' message unless there was a port specified in the 'service.txt' for the ARCGIS daemon on the server side.

Consequently, the aforementioned patch in conjunction with specifying the ports for LMGRD and ARCGIS daemons in the 'service.txt' file resolved the issue.

Client: WinXP; Server: Win2008 R2

Thanks,
    Max
    Last edited by msilin; 11-21-2012 at 09:20 AM.

Carlos Rios-Franco
    Answers Provided

The ArcGIS Administrator does not resolve this Issue!

The solution is doing that is here described

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/...000000w000000/

Then you will to configure the exceptions ports on Server's firewall and finally the client reads the license.

Carlos Rios
    CARLOS ANDRES RIOS
    GIS Coordinator
    Wildlife Conservation Society
    Colombia Program
    crios@wcs.org

Mohammad Nasir Shir
    Answers Provided

Hello All,

Great support here but I still have not found the ultimate solution.

I am running LM 10.0 on the server and will a client ArcGIS 10.0 be able to make the connection to the server to read the license file or will the server LM has to be upgraded to 10.1 as well? If yes, then will the LM 10.1 on a server have an affect where the ESRI software there is 10.0? I presume, if it is 10.1 then 10.0 and 9.3 ArcGIS client will be able to reach the license and read it.

My error message is already giving me the solution when it states "Incorrect version of LM running on the server" My question is if I update it will it create problems for those running 9.3 and 10.0 and connected to the server to access the licenses?

Thanks

mnshir

Bubba Hey
    Answers Provided

I would upgrade license manager to 10.1 10.1 LM can service licenses for 10.1, 10.0 and 9.3

Mohammad Nasir Shir
    Answers Provided

Thank you for the reply and I will upgrade my LM from 10.0 to 10.1 but the error message states to connect to a license manager running FlexLM version 11.10. Will updating that have any negative consequences?

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Mohammad,

The 10.1 SP1 installs the FlexNet Publisher 11.10.1 builds of flexlm components. And Esri's work on the GUI has resolved a number of issues with borrowing and status. The ArcGIS 10.0 seats, and any new/upgraded ArcGIS 10.1 seats will support license check out by the older 9.x build Desktop installations.

ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 License Manager
    ---------
    Version
    ---------
    FLEXnet Licensing v11.10.1.0 build 99220 i86_n3 (lmgr.lib), Copyright (c) 1988-2012 Flexera Software LLC. All Rights Reserved.
    But once upgraded to ArcGIS License Manager 10.1 sp1, you may decide to install the current Flexera lmgrd, lmutil & lmtools release (11.11.1.1 builds) and use those. Downloadable from Flexera here.

Current Flexera FlexNet Publisher builds
    ---------
    Version
    ---------
    FlexNet Licensing v11.11.1.1 build 120142 (ipv4) i86_n3 (lmgr.lib), Copyright (c) 1988-2013 Flexera Software LLC. All Rights Reserved.
    Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 06-20-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Chris Jensen
    Answers Provided

I have had this problem with 10.1 and 10.2.1 versions of license manager. My fix is disabling the Microsoft 6to4 Adapter on windows 7 pc's. it is in device manager, view hidden devices\network adapters. Once this is disabled the pc can see the license manager

+ Reply to Thread