+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Disabling the ArcGIS Online Connection in 10.1

Nicholas McNamara
    Answers Provided

Lightbulb Disabling the ArcGIS Online Connection in 10.1

10.1 automatically connects to ArcGIS Online without a possibility of turning it off, a "feature" many enterprise users would consider to be recklessly implemented. There has been an enhancement request logged to do this. In my case, this would create the appearance that I'm constantly on the internet for the internet monitoring software that IT is running and I could get written up. Also, people have noted the inability for 10.1 to pass security check analysis due to the additional network connectivity initiated by 10.1. In the meantime, I do the following to prevent it:

Use Internet Explorer 8, which allows you to work offline. Open the browser and set it to work offline (File - Work Offline), then close the browser to save the change. When you use the internet again, go to a page and you'll get a popup to work online again. Then, when you are done, switch it back to work offline. This won't work in IE 9, because any time something attempts to connect to the internet, even if you have it set to Work Offline, it will connect, assuming you wanted to. You can uninstall IE 9, which is a garbage browser anyway, hide it from updating in Windows update and just keep 8. Even if you use another browser as your main browser, you can still do this using IE 8 for the setting, or you may be able to go offline in another browser like Firefox. I don't know how other browsers handle that as I'm blocked from installing anything better or more secure here.

If someone else has a way of permanently disabling the connection, please share that here.

Thomas Slingsby
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Disabling the ArcGIS Online Connection in 10.1

I just wanted to add my voice to this complaint.
    I run ArcGIS at a University. Workstations here require proxy credentials to connect to the internet and 10.1 requests the details twice before it even opens. It then attempts to connect exery X seconds after that, slowing down the entire system and drastically affecting usability. The Online Resources service is not required for the proper use of the program, but it seems that due to current implementation it must be satisfied if you want to get anything done. Online Resources should be an option that requests connection credentials when it is initiated, not something that is forced down the users throat, that is, ultimately, annoying.

I have not tested the fix posted by nmcnamara as there is simply no easy way to implement it in a 100 seat PC lab and cannot force my users not to use IE9.

EDIT: Renaming or deleting the following file: C:\Program Files\common files\ArcGIS\bin\ArcGISConnection.exe will stop Online Connection.

Something else still prompts me for proxy credentials (I have deleted "Sign In" from the "File" Menu) but this gets rid of the system tray icon and stops the constant retry.
    Last edited by puretom; 07-11-2012 at 02:15 AM.

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

I am having the exact same problem with ArcDesktop 10.1. After 7 days of usage I was able to skyrocket to the top of the internet usage reports for my company.

Renaming the .exe seems like it would be a bandaid, it may be manageable for a few computers but I'd hate to be responsible for a lab or fleet of ArcGIS users. We need a better and permanent solution to this problem so that our ArcGIS users are not flagged for abusing the internet. If ESRI is going to force this behavior then they should wrap it up as a service that we can disable from the Services.msc area. The best solution would be an setting that we could select and disable when installing the 10.1 software on a new computer.

I opened a ticket with ESRI support to see if there is a more official solution.

David Strip
    Answers Provided

Here's another vote to remove/redesign this misfeature, at least as implemented. Some of us run over metered internet (e.g., satellite, cellular) and the last thing we want to do is burn our quota with a utility like this.

BTW, you can still access all the on-line resources if you apply puretom's fix:
    Quote Originally Posted by puretom View Post
    Renaming or deleting the following file: C:\Program Files\common files\ArcGIS\bin\ArcGISConnection.exe will stop Online Connection.

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

ESRI responded and confirmed that this behavior will be patched in Service Pack 1. No offical release date on 10.1 SP1 yet, sometime around fall of this year (first week of October?).

The official resolution from ESRI right now is to downgrade to 10.0 where this behavior is not in place. They claim there is no way to manually disable the connection in 10.1. I'll setup a Network Monitor session and sniff packets for a while to confirm that the workaround in this thread is working.

Chris Fox

Answers Provided

Please see the following KB article that describes in more detail what this utility does and why we have made this change at 10.1.

FAQ: How do I manage ArcGIS connections to online resources?

There is a bug that will be fixed at 10.1 sp1 that caused ArcMap to wait until the ArcGISConnection.exe recieved a response from ArcGIS Online, this cause slow start-up times.
    Chris Fox
    Esri

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

My tests with Network Monitor have confirmed my fears.

Not only is the ArcGISConnection.exe going out and chatting with ESRI every minute the ArcMap/Catalog is open, but ArcMap.exe is doing the same. You can effectivly disable ArcGISConnection by renaming or deleting it from C:\Program Files\common files\ArcGIS\bin\ but your other ArcGIS applications will continue to chatter back to homebase.

All of the 10.1 products appear to be looking for this URL:
    http://www.arcgis.com/arcgisuris.xml

Shutting down ArcGISConnection is only going to resolve part of the problem. You will still trigger traffic from ArcCatalog and ArcMap as long as your 10.1 applications are not patched. It is this behavior that I hope ESRI is patching with SP1. We should be able to control internet traffic that is going to get us and our users in trouble, otherwise we will be forced to stick with outdated or hacked software versions.

David Strip
    Answers Provided

It appears that it should be pretty straightforward to use Fiddler's auto-responder mechanism to not only trap the http request described above, but to respond to it as well. Not the most kosher way to deal with things, but this will stop the network traffic while still allowing you to access ArcGISOnline for basemaps, etc. Unfortunately I won't have a chance to try this for a few days, so if someone is ambitious and figures it out, please let us know.

You can read about the auto-responder mechanism here. Just search for "autoresponder". This page also has links to where to download Fiddler (free).

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

Dr's link on AutoResponder is interesting. The article does a good job of explaining how that function would work to solve our problem, rejecting these requests at the computer level so that they never make it to the internet appliances which are monitored. At the very least it would allow me to continue developing in 10.1 until a better solution becomes available.

However, managing the same setup for my users is another story. We would need to have some kind of automated solution that kicks off Fiddler and the AutoResponder function each time an ArcGIS user attempts to open one of the ArcGIS for Desktop applications. I can forsee too much room for error, the idea doesnt seem feasible for many users.

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

Fiddler's AutoResponder does appear to work as expected.

I captured one of the reuqests to http://www.arcGIS.com.arcgisuris.xml and setup a AutoResponder rule to respond with a standard 404 error message. After the rule was configured I re-enabled all of the ArcGIS services and .exes and started a new capture with Network Monitor and Fiddler. Fiddler was able to trap the requests and stop the requests from making it to Network Monitor. I confirmed with my network admins that the traffic had actually stopped from flowing across the network.

The next step would be to find a way to automate Fiddler so that it can get launched with ArcMap and ArcCatalog. It seems like Fiddler already starts capturing with the previous rules in place as soon as it is started.

David Strip
    Answers Provided

What I had in mind (and won't be able to check for another day still) was to have Fiddler return the actual file (arcgisuris.xml ). The Autoresponder would be set to exactly this URL. Anything else would just pass through and return the real thing. In that case, you just load fiddler with this setting on all your user's machines and let them go on as before, unaware of the hack in the background. At least that's my theory

Chris Fox

Answers Provided

I wanted to take some time to talk about some of the specific feedback in this thread in hopes of addressing some concerns. The most detailed information though is included in this KB so I would recommend reviewing it.

In regards to the request itself and the concerns with the amount of data being downloaded. The first time the ArcGISConnection.exe is launched it performs a GET request to arcgis.com to download the arcgisuris.xml. Every time after this it makes a HEAD request which is the same as a GET request without the body being returned, or in this case the xml, which means it is small, from what I measured came out to around .25 kb. It is common to use this kind of request to test the accessibility of a resource.

You can reduce the frequency of these HEAD requests by right-clicking the ArcGIS Connection icon in the task bar and clicking properties. Here you can set the frequency anywhere from 5 - 60 seconds. At service pack 1 you will optionally be able to specify that you do not wish to connect to ArcGIS Online. This means that the requests will no longer be sent, however it also means that functionality that requires connectivity to ArcGIS Online will be disabled (ie Add Basemap, Add Data from ArcGIS Online, etc.).
    Chris Fox
    Esri

David Strip
    Answers Provided

I don't think the proposed solution will make users much happier than the current state of affairs. If I'm reading your message correctly (and I've read it three times now), you are giving me the choice of pinging the server every minute, or no online service at all. That seems crazy. If ESRI isn't locked into this solution, I can think of two other approaches that seem more likely to be acceptable.
    1. Allow the user to disable pinging the servers altogether while allowing the user to still use online services with the understanding they may not be available.
    2. Allow the user to specifier a (much) longer interval between tests - say several minutes, or even large fractions of an hour. Of course this means the data may get stale, but that's a risk the user takes. Somehow we've managed to survive it up to now.

I do appreciate your sharing with us the size of the packets at issue here. At only .25KB per ping, that's not much and makes you wonder about the about the IT monitoring that is spotting this. After all, lots of websites use a heartbeat at this sort of frequency so that the server can tell that the webpage is still open. On the other hand, puretom mentions a 100 seat lab, so on average he's pinging the ArcGiS server almost every .5 seconds! No wonder the IT folks are wondering what's going on.

I'm astounded that this change is justified with this statement from the cited KB article
    Since the functionality is typically accessed from the User Interface thread, any delay in accessing the online capabilities can have an adverse effect on the user experience of the applications.
    I'm running on a slightly older laptop - Core 2 Duo, 1.5 GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200 RPM disk. I did a boot and launched ArcGIS on a fresh system with virus checking turned off. It took 5 seconds just to get the splash screen, another 40 seconds to get to dialog offering me my recently opened files. I selected a very simple map (cached topo basemap, one polygon layer with 3 polygons, and one polyline layer with a single line). That took a little over 10 seconds to render. I then double clicked the polyline layer and it takes several seconds to render the properties dialog. More amazingly, I can close this dialog and then immediately double click (or right click-> Properties) and it still takes several seconds to render the dialog. And ESRI is worried about the ping time to determine if I'm connected to an online server so it can render a dialog that offers access to online content? I think resources are being allocated to optimizing something so far down the list that nobody out here is even thinking about it.
    Last edited by drstrip; 08-08-2012 at 06:53 PM.

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Fox View Post
    At service pack 1 you will optionally be able to specify that you do not wish to connect to ArcGIS Online. This means that the requests will no longer be sent, however it also means that functionality that requires connectivity to ArcGIS Online will be disabled (ie Add Basemap, Add Data from ArcGIS Online, etc.).
    Chris,

Thanks for confirming how this problem will be addressed in SP1. I will be satisified if the fix works as you have proposed. Unlike drstrip my users and I have no need for ArcGIS online resources or services. We are prefectly happy working offiline if given the choice.

Can you share with us any details on how an administrator would be able to manage this new option? For example will we be able to setup a switch in the installation, change a registry key or modify a configuration file to apply the setting? In an ideal world we would be able to make this change without interacting with the users. We would also be able to setup a job to monitor or enforce that the setting so that it is always configured the way we want.

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by drstrip View Post
    I do appreciate your sharing with us the size of the packets at issue here. At only .25KB per ping, that's not much and makes you wonder about the about the IT monitoring that is spotting this. After all, lots of websites use a heartbeat at this sort of frequency so that the server can tell that the webpage is still open. On the other hand, puretom mentions a 100 seat lab, so on average he's pinging the ArcGiS server almost every .5 seconds! No wonder the IT folks are wondering what's going on.
    I will share that the default settings of this feature flagged me as the top internet user of my company within 7 days of usage. My test computer was used for testing maps during the day and uploading basemaps from the data CD's to our new 10.1 server overnight. Whatever the original intent of this feature was it was obviously viewed as malicious internet traffic. Even though heartbeats are nothing new, they have never been known to cause issues like this. Its easy to see from this experience how ArcGIS Online can really do some damage to someone on a monitored or metered internet connection.

Chris Fox

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by ajsparks View Post
    I will share that the default settings of this feature flagged me as the top internet user of my company within 7 days of usage. My test computer was used for testing maps during the day and uploading basemaps from the data CD's to our new 10.1 server overnight. Whatever the original intent of this feature was it was obviously viewed as malicious internet traffic. Even though heartbeats are nothing new, they have never been known to cause issues like this. Its easy to see from this experience how ArcGIS Online can really do some damage to someone on a monitored or metered internet connection.
    I will look into more how this can be disabled by an administrator, but in regards to your last comment when you say you are uploading data to your new 10.1 server. Do you mean you are publishing data to you ArcGIS Server 10.1 or are you just copying files to a local file share?
    Chris Fox
    Esri

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

Only copying. Publishing the new maps and tools as web services is the next task that I am working on.

Chris Fox

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by ajsparks View Post
    Only copying. Publishing the new maps and tools as web services is the next task that I am working on.
    Thanks just checking because publishing to ArcGIS Server would result in a lot HTTP requests as well. In regards to disabling connection to ArcGIS Online you will be able to do this by right-clicking the arcgisconnection icon in the task bar, going to properties and unchecking a boolean. This in turn will write to a registry value, so as long as that reg value is set appropriately this functionality will be disabled. When service pack 1 is released I will provide more detailed information about this process and we will update the KB as well.
    Chris Fox
    Esri

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

Working with reg keys is easy for us to manage. Once we find the reg key a script should be able to automate and enforce the setting for us. It sounds like this solution will meet our needs. Looking forward to SP1.

Richard Daniels
    Answers Provided

Lightbulb Re: Disabling the ArcGIS Online Connection in 10.1

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcGIS Connection\Connection Status\Settings\CheckFrequency"

This is the registry setting to SET the frequency that ArcGIS Online checks for connectivity. By default it is every 10 seconds. this setting is also available in the ArcGIS Connection tool that opens at the bottom right of your screen when you open ArcMap or ArcCatalog.

Rich

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

Nice find Rich,

However, modifying the registry value does not produce any different results than manually changing the properties of ArcGISConnection.exe when you right click it from the system tray. The min max values remain at 10 and 60 despite going over or under those values in the registry.

Perhaps this is the area that will be modified when SP1 comes out? With any luck we can set this registry to 0 or 3600+ seconds and have it work as we would expect it to. 10.1 appears to have those min max values hard coded into it right now.

Rik Simmonds
    Answers Provided

Chris, Can you please confirm that we will have the ability to completely disable the ArcGIS online connection calls in 10.1 SP1. Some installations of ESRI Server and Desktop are on disconnected environments that will never connect to the internet so the ability to completely stop this call to ArcGIS online will be crucial from both a performance and network traffic perspective. Currently the URL for ArcGIS online cannot be removed in ArcGIS Administrator. If this could be removed would this stop all calls to ArcGIS online? I agree with the previous post where some sort of automated way of removing this feature from all desktop installtions would be extremely beneficial when deploying multiple instances of desktop in a disconnnected environment.

Chris Fox

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by rik.simmonds View Post
    Chris, Can you please confirm that we will have the ability to completely disable the ArcGIS online connection calls in 10.1 SP1.
    Yes, you will be able to disbale this by right-clicking the arcgisconnection icon in the task bar, going to properties and unchecking a boolean. This in turn will write to a registry value, so as long as that reg value is set appropriately this functionality will be disabled.
    Chris Fox
    Esri

Jill Halchin
    Answers Provided

I'm afraid that a simple off/on option won't work for me, and, I suspect a lot of others. The base imagery that we have on our servers is insufficient for many tasks, so we often need Bing or Esri base layers. We're on a network with a variety of connection speed issues, depending on the office or park. The ability to turn it off will help parks with poor connectivity, but those of us with better speeds need the option to set the timer to something much longer, perhaps the 3600 seconds that ajsparks suggested.

Jill Halchin
    Southeast Archeological Center
    National Park Service
    US Department of the Interior

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

Jill,

You might want to start an Enhancement Request through ESRI Support to address your concerns. If I read your post correctly you are seconding the motion to boost the max setting of the ArcGISConnection.exe to beyond 60 seconds (the current max). Service Pack 1 should be announced and released some time around mid October so you should try to get your request submitted soon if its not already too late.

To clarify, my testing never noticed a performance problem while opening and editing my maps. Attention was drawn only because the network traffic generated by the default settings of ArcGISConnection were excessive and unecessary. Over time it would take a considerable bite out of a monitored/tiered data plan. I never brought it into the field to confirm if that ArcGIS traffic was actually slowing me down or not.

Andrew Fraser
    Answers Provided

After some tweaking and testing i may have found a solution to this problem that will work on a domain/lab environment. As a system administrator i was able to do this easily but users may require their IT staff to do/consider this option.

Go into your DNS server and create a new primary zone called "com", then create a "Host record" called "Arcgis" and point it to your primary server. This new record should then be "arcgis.com" that is sitting on your local LAN/Intranet.

There may be a problem with then trying to go to the real website but i have not yet come across that one.

Tom colson
    Answers Provided

What's really frustrating is that a major software vendor, with full understanding of the network badnwidth-hogging issues caused by GIS users, would add yet another network service that users don't understand fully or can't shut off, further frustraing IT departments whom are wondering what the GIS people are up to (again) with all this pinging (again). Lots of extra work for all involved. If I want to use an ArcGIS Online Basemap, I'll push a button and there it will be. Why do I need a software vendor assuming I'm too stupid to push a button, and force an open connection on my workstation. I echo other users concerns, with a campus full of GIS installs, this has resulted in a major hassle for us, including lots of scrutiny and time-wasting conversations with corporate IT security folks. It sounds like the SP1 fix will allow users to shut this off, I wouldn't consider it a fix unless this was turned off all together. Sound't like we'll have to do more under-the-hood tinkering to administer an install base....

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

I like Tom's idea, although I fear it it too late to see it implemented in SP1.

Shutting the service off should be the default for this feature. It is much to presumptious that everyone will need to use the ArcGIS Online features that this service is intended to improve. It would be much better to have it setup as an extra installation feature, something that we could flag and selectively choose to turn on/off as a troubleshooting tool when we have problems in that area.

Modifying the DNS records so the traffic never leaves the LAN is viable as long as you are an administrator of all the networks this software is installed on. However, this kind of change will only create hassles down the road
    1. Attempting to remember and maintain custom rules on the DNS.
    2. Bombarding your DNS with junk traffic. If you ever try to monitor your DNS traffic you will have to filter it all out.
    3. Given enough clients you might start to see performance take a hit and effect users across the LAN.
    4. It also doesn't stop a user on a laptop or Mobile Broadband internet connection from taking it out of the lab and encountering the same problem on a different network.

Stopping the traffic on the client itself is a much better solution in my opinion. Kudos for the suggestion tho : )

Michael Stead
    Answers Provided

I had renamed the onlineconnection executable a while back and that seemed to cause problems when saving a document, but otherwise seemed OK until I tried to use the "find" tool. The first thing this tool does apparently is to try this connection. I found a related thread about the find tool and did some other file renaming, but couldn't get it to work so I ended up using queries instead to get the work done.

The IT department where I work would never do this fiddler fix. They networked our profiles a while back and I had to complain for quite a while to get a local profile. I want control over my software. There is no need for all this network chatter. Probably another form of anti-piracy. I would like to sum up all the time I spend sitting here waiting while Arc checks multiple locations looking for licenses and reporting my activity to some server no one actually monitors. Wasted days.....weeks or months maybe

Jack Drost
    Answers Provided

For us this created a different problem. Our network filter detected one of the arcgis.com sites as a problem and blocked it, and this caused the "Find" tool to fail completely for all users within our network - we've been able to fix it from the network side, but I still wish there had been an option to not use ArcGIS Online connections to avoid all this.

Jack
    NC

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

I noticed the same problem and commented on a different thread:
    http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/344...673#post237673

TL:DR;
    Cleaning up the default Address Locators so that they do not try to talk to the ArcGIS Online resources resolved the problem for me. I now include my modified XML file with all ArcGIS installations.
    Last edited by ajsparks; 10-16-2012 at 04:17 AM.

Tom colson
    Answers Provided

With the application of SP1, by right-clicking on the Icon in the task bar, one can set this to be disabled, changing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcGIS Connection\Connection Status\Settings\Perform Check to "0". However, this is on a per user-basis, and there does not appear to be a way to globally turn this off at installation time, for all users, without having to login to each users profile and disable the annoying service. Even with the connection disabled, the service is still running.

John Getzke
    Answers Provided

You will have to run a post install script to modify the registry and disable that feature. Let me know if you would like the code I use to do this.

Is SP1 out now? I have been checking for a while but have not been able to get any confirmation.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Yes, released 30 October 2012.

Here is the link to the ArcGIS 10.1 Service Pack 1 download: http://support.esri.com/en/downloads...60/metaid/1913

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Simon Cardinale
    Answers Provided

With the installation of SP1 I found that disabling ArcGISConnection.exe prevents you from using the Add Basemap and Add Data from ArcGIS Online buttons. You can still use WMS layers (i.e. if they've already been added they continue to work, and if you can add them from a layer file you saved earlier.) I suppose you could run ArcGISConnection.exe only when you need to add a layer for the first time, and otherwise stick to layer files.

I don't know why ESRI is doing this. My best bet is that tightly integrating online functionality creates a situation where sometimes people experience a temporary hang because the system needs to check for the connection. Their solution is to create a separate process that constantly checks for the connection. Different thread, less of a performance hit? Maybe?

It doesn't really seem to provide any benefit at present. By disabling the buttons with SP1 they make it appear as though ArcGISConnection.exe is more important than it is. Or maybe they're setting up for future functionality. Usage monitoring would be my guess.

Michael Stead
    Answers Provided

It would be nice if they did away with it, but in my opinion ESRI's intellectual property protection has always been excessive at the expense of the functionality of the software.

I was hoping with SP1 they had managed to tweak the ArcGIS Connection Properties dialouge to allow to check for a connection only when needed, or at least up the "minimum frequency" to something bigger than 60 seconds. No such luck.

Also, why is it setting the minimum frequency? Wouldn't it be the maximum frequency I want to limit? Maybe it is a semantics thing, maybe it is a useless, deceptive option.

Rick Wheeler
    Answers Provided

Angry Re: Disabling the ArcGIS Online Connection in 10.1

The ability to disable the connection at service pack one falls well short of a real solution to this issue. The ArcGISConnection.exe process still runs using resources and worse displays a globe icon with a red x in the task tray. This choice of icon makes it look like there is a network or other problem with the machine. Please get rid of the entire arcgis online connection "feature" or at least make it something the user chooses to add. Why not simply provide a means to globally turn off the functionality, give users the choice. Many users don't give a hoot for arcgis online resources. When they need or want them then they could turn on this "feature".

Thanks

matt wilkie
    Answers Provided

At SP1 the ability to dynamically turn the ArcGISConnection on/off at run time via the system tray icon is certainly an improvement. I'm glad Esri has been paying attention.

I'd like to see it improved even more so that this actually on-demand instead of just on/off. I'm proposing that a 3rd option of "when needed" be added. I envision this when needed option working like:
    • The default test-connection state is off, ArcGISConnection.exe is not running.
    • In Arcmap when user uses "Add Data >> Basemap" or "Connect to ArcGIS Online" ArcGISConnection.exe is fired up and thereafter continues as is current practice, for the duration of the ArcMap/Catalog session.
    • When ArcMap/Catalog is closed, ArcGISConnection is also closed.
    • Any .mxd or .lyr files making use ArcGIS Online resources trigger ArcGISConnection to ON state.

Please put fine grained control of the ArcGISConnection manager into the hands of users and system administrators. The current all or nothing approach is insufficient to meet the needs for many of your clients.

Vote for this at Connection to ArcGIS Online should be on-demand

Thank you.
    -- matt

Help build a vendor neutral GIS specific Q&A site for cartographers, database administrators, geographers, programmers, and anyone interested in or using GIS professionally.

John Hangen
    Answers Provided

I have to agree with this - our network administrator just asked me why we have so much traffic going to the ESRI website (we're having network issues). She informed me that ESRI is the City's #8 highest destination for outgoing/incomming network communications. Frustrating considering we don't even use ArcGIS Online here.....

John

John W. Hangen, GISP
    GIS Coordinator
    City of Milford, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_Wheeler View Post
    The ability to disable the connection at service pack one falls well short of a real solution to this issue. The ArcGISConnection.exe process still runs using resources and worse displays a globe icon with a red x in the task tray. This choice of icon makes it look like there is a network or other problem with the machine. Please get rid of the entire arcgis online connection "feature" or at least make it something the user chooses to add. Why not simply provide a means to globally turn off the functionality, give users the choice. Many users don't give a hoot for arcgis online resources. When they need or want them then they could turn on this "feature".

Thanks
    Last edited by jwhangen; 06-18-2013 at 07:59 AM.

+ Reply to Thread