+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ArcMAP - export to KML/KMZ or shapefile with all polygon styles

- -
    Answers Provided

Question ArcMAP - export to KML/KMZ or shapefile with all polygon styles

Hello,
    first - I`m new into ArcMAP and currently learning it. After I created my first map, I wanted it to export into KML/KMZ, or shapefile with the same look as in ArcMAP, but I dunno how to export styles assigned to the polygons in ArcMAP. ArcMAP exports only plain polygons with colors with ability to click on polygon which shows popup table in Google Earth, or pure polygons in shapefile. My labels, outline and fill styles are not showing. Is there any way to have KML/KMZ/shapefile of same look as in ArcMAP ?

Note: In ArcMAP I assigned labels and polygon fills based on data from assigned DBF files.

ArcMAP screenshot:

Google Earth screenshot:

Thanks,
    Murko

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcMAP - export to KML/KMZ or shapefile with all polygon styles

Murko,

Unfortunately the problems you are experiencing are due to the limitation on symbology with KML. KML does not support complex symbology such as dotted lines and hashed ploygons. If you want your Kml symbology to look the same as that in ArcMap you need to stick to basic symbology.

Regards

Anthony

- -
    Answers Provided

Thank you Anthony,
    for the labels - is there a way to have them at least like a pushpins in Google Earth ?

-M

- -
    Answers Provided

Btw, I saw that OpenStreetMap format .OSM can display dashed lines and various fill and labels, question is: how to export ArcMAP .MXD to .OSM

Pardon my questions if they were answered before, but I cant find anything about it.

-M

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Murko,

The way you can create the labels is using <MultiGeometry> this allows you to place a <Point> element along with the polygon. You can then give the IconStyle a scale of 0, so that it doesn't show up. The only problem is that I don't think ArcGIS can natively do this out of the box so you would have to manually edit the KML file.

For $245 you can buy an add on to ArcMap called ET GeoWizard that looks like it would provide the solution:

http://www.ian-ko.com/ET_GeoWizards/..._userguide.htm

As for .OSM I cannot comment as I have never used that format. There is an extension for arcgis called data interopability but exactly what it can and cannot handle is quite hard to find:

http://www.esri.com/~/media/Files/Pd...op-formats.pdf

Regards

Anthony

+ Reply to Thread