+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to reset Menu Pulldown font size to match Menu Items?

Graeme Browning
    Answers Provided

Default How to reset Menu Pulldown font size to match Menu Items?

In the screenshot below you should be able to see that the font size used for Menu Pulldowns is smaller than that used for Menu Items.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ArcMapMenuFontSizeDifference.png
Views:	63
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	16954

When I increase the Menu Item font size using the method provided at Stack Exchange GIS the size of both menu items and pulldowns increase, but the pulldown font size remains noticeably smaller.

I'm using Windows 7 and ArcGIS 10.1 and have tried deleting C:\Users\Graeme\AppData\Roaming\ESRI to see if that would reset it without luck.

Does anyone know how to make the font used by Menu Pulldowns match the Menu Items' font?

UPDATE: The same problem seems to be affecting Context Menu font size compared to the selected item in the Catalog window (see below).

Name:	ArcMapMenuFontSizeDifference2.png
Views:	49
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	16956

- Graeme
    Last edited by graeme; 08-14-2012 at 04:59 PM.

Curtis Price

Answers Provided

Default Re: How to reset Menu Pulldown font size to match Menu Items?

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    I'm using Windows 7 and ArcGIS 10.1 and have tried deleting C:\Users\Graeme\AppData\Roaming\ESRI to see if that would reset it without luck.
    Graeme - resetting the ESRI app profile will have no effect. The settings you're dinking with are global windows appearance settings, which are independent of individual applications (unless of course the app is tweaked to override the Windows appearance, which is generally frowned upon!).

I found a post on the microsoft site that may help you out. See the 4th comment...
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...c-68b599b31bf5

Graeme Browning
    Answers Provided

Default Re: How to reset Menu Pulldown font size to match Menu Items?

Thanks for the suggestion Curtis

However, the procedure you pointed me at (see below) is exactly what I had tried unsuccessfully to do - it changes the font size for Menu Items to what I choose but the Menu Pulldown font size is only changed proportional to that so stays looking small.

1) Right-click on the desktop and click on “Personalize”.

2) Near the bottom of the dialog box, click on the icon for “Windows Color”.

3) In the resulting dialog box, click the link for “Advanced appearance settings”.

4) In the next dialog box, titled “Windows Color and Appearance” find the menu for “Item”.
    Note: This is where you will choose the area or object to which your changes will apply. However, this still does not change the font and font size for your chosen area or object. To change font and font size, after selecting an object or area here, you still have to go down to a different menu, the “Font” menu. Details follow.

5) For now, under "Item" just pull down to choose “Menu”.

6) Across from “Menu” you can change the size of the menu area, but not the font or font size.

7) Below there, under “Font” pull down to change the font and font size *This is where you change the size of the text in menus. For instance, this affects how large the type displays in your Internet Explorer ribbon, and within the “Favorites” menu. Microsoft really buried this setting deeply!

- Graeme

Graeme Browning
    Answers Provided

Exclamation Re: How to reset Menu Pulldown font size to match Menu Items?

As an update to this issue, which is still occurring, I've just realised that some odd docking behaviour (see graphic) is probably also related.

Name:	ArcMapDockingGuides.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	17084

In the graphic you should be able to see that when I move ArcMap windows (like the Python window) the docking guides are not placed where they would be normally. This also affects resizing ArcMap windows when the black vertical line indicating how the TOC is to be altered appears several centimetres away from the cursor.

I'm pretty sure that this is an ArcMap problem, because I am not seeing it in any of the many other programs I have installed on my laptop.

I've also just tried deleting the Normal.mxt to see if that would fix it - but no luck.

Does anyone have any other ideas about what may be astray, before I resort to an uninstall/reinstall of ArcGIS 10.1 (on Windows 7 Professional SP1)?

ANOTHER UPDATE:
    The Catalog window seems to be using the same undesirably small font size as the pulldowns.

- Graeme
    Last edited by graeme; 08-19-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Graeme Browning
    Answers Provided

This post is marked as the answer

Wink Re: How to reset Menu Pulldown font size to match Menu Items?

I finally resolved this by visiting Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display and resetting the font size I had set there from 150% to 125%. This resolved all.

+ Reply to Thread