+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Calculate_River_Miles

jon walker
    Answers Provided

Default Calculate_River_Miles

I would like to calculate_river_miles from the river mouth to certain stations on the river upstream. I can get river shape files online, but do not know how to calculate the distance to the station.
    My approach is:
    1) get the river vector files, and connect segments that are disconnected
    2) designate the river_mouth (point where river dumps in the ocean) manually
    3) if the station is not on the river, create a buffer where the point will intersect with the river
    4) create a query on attribute table where the distance from river_mouth to the station upstream will be calculated.

5) some of these stations upstream will be on tributaries too, not just on the mainstream section of river.

Any suggestions to work thru the 5 steps would be greatly appreciated.

Michael Miller
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Calculate_River_Miles

I would suggest you look into the Linear Referencing tools.
    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesk...0002000000.htm

Using these tools you will be able to assign measures to each of the rivers/streams.

Quote Originally Posted by blog2252@yahoo.com View Post
    I would like to calculate_river_miles from the river mouth to certain stations on the river upstream. I can get river shape files online, but do not know how to calculate the distance to the station.
    My approach is:
    1) get the river vector files, and connect segments that are disconnected
    2) designate the river_mouth (point where river dumps in the ocean) manually
    3) if the station is not on the river, create a buffer where the point will intersect with the river
    4) create a query on attribute table where the distance from river_mouth to the station upstream will be calculated.

5) some of these stations upstream will be on tributaries too, not just on the mainstream section of river.

Any suggestions to work thru the 5 steps would be greatly appreciated.
    Michael A Miller
    GIS Analyst
    Idaho Transportation Department

ArcGIS 10 SP 3 - ArcInfo License
    Windows 7 SP1 64-bit

+ Reply to Thread