+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ArcGIS 10.1 drawing tools not showing

Dave Couture
    Answers Provided

Default ArcGIS 10.1 drawing tools not showing

I started having a new problem with ArcGIS 10.1, this morning. When I go on Edit mode, I don't get any templates and drawing tools to create features anymore (freehand, polygons, polylines, ect.), so I'm unable to do any editing or modifications.

How can I fix that?
    Last edited by davecouture; 08-24-2012 at 06:25 AM.

Rhonda Glennon

Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcGIS 10.1 drawing tools not showing

Do feature templates exist, but are just not showing in the Create Features window? This would be indicated by a banner at the top of the Create Features window that says, "Click here to see templates not listed." You need to follow the steps to make them visible, as described in the dialog box that appears when you click the banner. Most likely, this is because the layer is not visible or there is a definition query without a matching template default attribute value.

Or have you deleted all the feature templates in a layer? In that case, they are not generated again automatically for you, so you need to open the Organize Feature Templates dialog box, check to see if there are templates in a layer, and if not, go through the New Template Wizard to make them yourself.

The construction tools will appear again when you activate a template in the Create Features window.

Some new things with feature templates in ArcGIS 10.1:
    http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/20...-enhancements/
    Esri Product Engineer
    ArcGIS for Desktop team

Dave Couture
    Answers Provided

I don't get the Create New Feature and Templates window/dialog box -the whole thing is gone. Everything was working fine yesterday, just before I went home. But, when I launched Arc this morning, I couldn't edit anymore. I called Tech Support and they will call me back.
    Last edited by davecouture; 08-24-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Rhonda Glennon

Answers Provided

This post is marked as the answer

Can you open the Create Features window manually from the button on the Editor toolbar? In ArcGIS 10.1, if you close the window, it will remember that it is was closed, compared to 10.0, where it opened automatically when you start editing. If not, you may need to reset your profile or registry.

Please work with Support on this.
    Esri Product Engineer
    ArcGIS for Desktop team

Dave Couture
    Answers Provided

Ha, that did it! I liked it better when it automatically opened - but, that's just me, I guess..hehe!
    Last edited by davecouture; 08-24-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Rhonda Glennon

Answers Provided

Oh good! Glad to help.

In ArcGIS 10.0, we had the Create Features window open automatically at the start of every edit session to help familiarize editors with the new environment. However, this was an annoyance to editors who just wanted to edit existing shapes or attribute values.

So, with ArcGIS 10.1, it opens for the very first edit session; after that, the window retains its previous state of being docked, pinned, or closed. All the other "editing" windows follow this pattern, and will remember their last state, too.
    Esri Product Engineer
    ArcGIS for Desktop team

Luzia Kathriner
    Answers Provided

Hi, I have a similar problem. I have activated the editor toolbar but there is no sketch tool. So when I start editing I cannot add new polygons etc. I can only manipulate already existing polygons. Where can I get the sketch tool if it is not in editor toolbar?

Rhonda Glennon

Answers Provided

If you are using ArcGIS 10 or 10.1, there is no Sketch tool. You use the Create Features window to add new features.

Start here:
    http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/...0000022000000/

Tutorial:
    http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/...0000020000000/

If you are actually using ArcGIS 9.x, you may need to reset your toolbar in the Customize dialog box.
    Esri Product Engineer
    ArcGIS for Desktop team

Luzia Kathriner
    Answers Provided

Thank you! That helped. I guess I should have looked at the tutorials before panicking... I just assumed it was the same as for ArcGIS 9 which I was using before...

Answers Provided

Its very simple.

Start Editing --> Click on Editor drop down menu --> Click Second last option Editing Windows --> Click Create Features.

Hope this will help.

+ Reply to Thread