+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIMP Risk Calculator

Thomas DeWitte
    Answers Provided

Lightbulb DIMP Risk Calculator

The DIMP Risk Calculator Modelbuilder model was released to the user community on March 2010. Many gas utilities are currently in the process of implementing this model and are interested in sharing knowledge on how to model risk for specific risk factors. The Modelbuilder model itself is not intended to be a static example. It is intended to be a starting point that can evolve based on feedback from the gas user community. An updated version of the model is already in the process of being posted on the ESRI web site at: http://www.esri.com/industries/gas/business/dimp.html . Additionally, this fall at the annual EGUG user conference in Dearborn, MI the first annual DIMP Risk Model user session will be held. This will be an opportunity for risk modelers to meet and share methods for modeling risk with Modelbuilder. Feedback from that session will be used to update the model yet again.

The purpose of this thread is to accomplish two primary objectives:

1) Provide a forum for sharing ideas for modeling DIMP risk factors and DIMP consequence factors with the greater ESRI gas utilitiy community.

2) Provide a forum for submitting recommendations to improve and enhance the DIMP Risk Calculator model.

Looking forward to seeing your ideas and suggestions.

Tom DeWitte
    ESRI - Utilities Team

John-Paul Cutcher
    Answers Provided

Default Re: DIMP Risk Calculator

Tom,
    I enjoyed your Sunday workshop at EGUG in Dearborn. It was extremely usefull and I learned several things. I'm happy to say that shortly after EGUG I was able to get the DIMP Risk Model configured and handed off to Engineering so they could start thinking about their risk values to be plugged into the model. Once they have had a chance to work with it I will post their suggestions or additions. Thank you so much for providing such a usefull tool for the community to work with. Great Job!!

Kris Kirkeide
    Answers Provided

I just remembered something I meant to talk about at the MDU ESRI DIMP model presenation.

If you have a leak that is repaired in 2005, and the main is installed in 2009, then these leaks should be ignored, we did this as part of our pre-processing before the actual category models. I don't remember if Tom had added this to the ESRI model or not, so I thought I would throw it out here.

I also wanted to thank everyone for there participation in the discussion we had in using ESI for DIMP analysis.

Kris - MDU

Thomas DeWitte
    Answers Provided

Kris,

At version 1.2 of the DIMP model, a spatial join operation was added to the processing of leaks. The purpose is to connect the leak to its nearest main or service, depending on the type of leak. Then the "DATEREPAIRED" date of the leak is compared to the "INSTALLATIONDATE" of the pipe. If the leak occurred prior to the installation of the pipe, then it is removed from consideration.

Tom DeWitte
    ESRI - Utility Team

Nathan Speidel
    Answers Provided

Hello all,

For those of you who do not know me, I was fortunate enough to work with MDU on the configuration of their DIMP model during my internship. Although I was unable to make it to the EGUG conference.

To clear things up from my point of view.

version '1.1ESRI' provided a way to spatial join the leaks to the Mains so that we could cut out any that were on pipe that has since been replaced. We adapted this process to our model, but we added a spatial join for services (which 1.2 may have, I have not seen 1.2). This can only be done if your leaks have a field denoting whether they are on service or main for the purpose of not joining a service leak to a main and visa versa. Or if your leak point features are snapped to the main or service. To my knowledge the version 1.1 and previous from ESRI did not take into account the services, except in the Category Materials in which case the risk was applied to the attached main.
    Last edited by NSpeidel; 10-29-2010 at 11:43 AM.

John-Paul Cutcher
    Answers Provided

In the "Consequence" model - Should there be a row calculating a value of consequence based on "Pipe Size"? Bigger the pipe the higher the consequence.

Thoughts?

Thanks

John

7. 11-16-2010 01:00 PM

Erika Jacobs
    Answers Provided

I'm wondering if any one else is having problems with the Weighted Sum. Basically every time I run a model it fails at the weighted sum. I get the following error:

Start Time: Mon Dec 06 09:34:48 2010
    ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
    Failed sending the dataset deleted notification to a workspace extension. [Survey Database]
    General function failure [EquipFailureW]
    ERROR 010240: Could not save raster dataset to D:\DIMP\DIMP_RiskAnalysis_Parameters\scratch.gdb\EquipFailureW with output format IMAGINE Image.
    Failed to execute (Weighted Sum).
    End Time: Mon Dec 06 10:02:18 2010 (Elapsed Time: 27 minutes 30 seconds)

If I save the model and add the toolbox to a new empty mxd and run it again, it makes it through. Anyone else experience this or have a solution?

Vijay Kumar
    Answers Provided

Dear Tom,

Great Work! Is this model being used by any natural gas distribution company? Can you direct me to relevant case study and details.If there is any ROI/Business Benefit analysis available around this, please share.

Regards,
    Vijay Kumar

Eric Grzebinski
    Answers Provided

I ran the DIMP risk model for our operating area with 300,000+ customers.

A couple of suggestions if you are processing large datasets:

Consider using an external HD for storage. The raster files take up a lot of space and your average 100+ GB HD will run out of memory quickly. I use an eSATA connection to keep the data transfer time to a minimum.

In the ArcMap Advanced Settings Utility, the MaxLocksPerFile is set to 9500 by default. Increase this value to something like 1,000,000. See the article at http://resources.arcgis.com/content/...leShow&d=17381

Eric - IGC

Garrett Moeller
    Answers Provided

Greetings,
    I downloaded the sample DIMP risk model from the site,
    however all the layers within the .mxd is looking for a GAS.gdb geodatabase.

This is not included with the download.
    There are a couple layer files, a .tbx file, and some python files.
    How do I get the GAS.gdb?

Thank you,
    Garrett Moeller

Thomas DeWitte
    Answers Provided

Garrett,

To date, no Gas utility has been willing to shar their gas data to the extent where, it can be freely distributed across the Internet. Personally I do not blame them.

So, even though the DIMP model was built and tested against real production Gas Distribution datasets, we are not allowed to share these datasets with others. The purpose of providing the MXD is to simplify the process of mapping your local gas system dataset to the DIMP Risk Calculator model. Within ArcMap you will find tools to allow your to remap the layers to your local dataset.

Tom DeWitte
    Esri - Utilities Team

martinn man
    Answers Provided

Well, I used it and seems that it was extremely helpful and I learned several things from it. I am happy to say that shortly after EGUG I could get DIMP risk model set and transferred to engineering so they can start thinking about their values ​​can be plugged into the model.

Corey Lunsford
    Answers Provided

Hello. I've been trying to adapt the DIMP Risk Calculation Model with our current system and have been hitting some snags up front. When I add the DIMP toolbox, values come up unexectutable. I'm not the best at this, by a long shot, but I am reading the directions in the PDF file that came with the model and I am still unsure how to proceed. I've taken our distribution mains and converted them into a "snap raster," but am unsure what to do from there. I took the shapefile of the same name in the DIMP Model and changed its source to my new Raster Dataset, but I come up with only one value. Any suggestions?

Corey Lunsford
    Answers Provided

Exclamation Re: DIMP Risk Calculator

In regards to my previous post, I may have a simpler question:

What extensions are required for the DIMP Risk Calculator to work?

We've purchased just ArcGIS Desktop with ArcView, ArcEditor, and ArcInfo and I am assuming that is not enough.

Thomas DeWitte
    Answers Provided

Corey,

The DIMP Risk Calculator requires the following ArcGIS desktop configuration:
    -ArcInfo
    -Spatial Analyst extension
    -Python scripting (typically part of the installation of ArcInfo).

Tom DeWitte
    Esri - Utility Team

Garrett Moeller
    Answers Provided

I have ArcEditor.
    I can just rebuild the model for ArcEditor, correct?
    Why is it necessary to have ArcInfo?

I am also curious about why the two layer files are included with the DIMP Modelbuilder download.

It just seems like it would have made sense to include a small version of the GAS_2010.gdb so that reverse engineering would be made easier.
    Using fake data of course - not actual data from a gas company.

I also notice that in the sample DIMP.mxd file, there are EFV's shown in the list of assets,
    however, they do not appear in the DIMP modelbuilder calculations.
    I find this interesting since SGA/NGA has suggested using these as a factor to lower consequence.

I would really like to discuss some of this!
    Last edited by gmoeller54; 01-04-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Thomas DeWitte
    Answers Provided

Garrett,

You are asking some very good questions. I will attempt to answer them as best as I can.

Question 1: Why does the model require an ArcINFO desktop license?
    Answer 1: The reason is that there are a few critical steps in the model that require analyitical tools only available with an ArcINFO License. For example, one of the final steps of the model is to perform an IDENTITY overlay of the polygonal Risk factor scores, onto the Distribution mains, so that each distribution main segment has its unique set of risk factor scores. The IDENTITY tool is an ARCINFO only tool.

Question 2: Why the two layer files in the zip file?
    Answer 2: Those were mistakenly added to the final zop file. They will be removed with the next version of the DIMP model.

Question 3: Why are EFV's not included as risk factors in the DIMP model?
    Answer 3: One of the interesting aspects of the DIMP federal regulations is that they do not proscribe which risk factors must be included in a risk analysis of a companies gas system. They only define the categories of risk factors which must be considered. The DIMP Risk Calculator model is not meant to provide all risk factors which would be appropriate to all gas utilities across the United States. It is meant to provide a strong template that shows you how to use the ArcGIS technology you have to perform this risk analysis. We are always looking for user feedback as to what risk factors should be included in the template. We have received lots of feedback from the many campanies that have already implemented the DIMP Risk Calculator, and are in the process of incorporating some of top requested changes.

If you would like to discuss this further you can contact me. My contact info is:

Tom DeWitte
    Esri - Utility Team
    email: tdewitte@esri.com

Garrett Moeller
    Answers Provided

Thanks for the excellent answers Tom.
    Much appreciated!
    If there is ever a forum/gathering that will have DIMP Modelbuilder workshops, I would like to be informed of them.
    garrett.m.moeller <at> dom.com

Thomas DeWitte
    Answers Provided

Garrett,

Typically there is a DIMP user group meeting at the annual Esri Electric and Gas User Group (EGUG) conference in October. The 2012 EGUG conference will be held in Salt Lake City, UT on Oct 7th - 10th. This DIMP user group session is a great opportunity to meet others who have implemented the DIMP Risk Calculator and to share experiences/ lessons learned.

Tom DeWitte
    Esri - Utility Team

+ Reply to Thread