+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Selecting and Clipping Multiple Polygons In The Editor Toolbar ?

Robert Banick
    Answers Provided

Default Selecting and Clipping Multiple Polygons In The Editor Toolbar ?

When using the Editor toolbar to perform clipping operations in ArcMap, how does one select multiple polygons at the same time? That is, I have a feature class made up of several non-contiguous polygons and want to use all of them to clip an underlying feature class. I need to do this in the editor toolbar because I want to do a reverse clip, preserving only areas of the underlying feature class that aren't overlapped by the original feature class.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

Jegan Somu
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: Selecting and Clipping Multiple Polygons In The Editor Toolbar ?

Using the clip in Editor toolbar will clip all the underlying features.

If u need to clip all the features then U can go for this.

Other wise try the clip in ArcToolBox.
    Jegan S,
    MSc.Geoinformatics,
    India.
    http://jegans.wordpress.com

jegan.somu@gmail.com

Robert Banick
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Selecting and Clipping Multiple Polygons In The Editor Toolbar ?

I understand this. The problem (which was not well stated in my original question--my fault) is that Editor only selects individual polygons, not feature classes, and doesn't appear to want to let me clip using multiple polygons at a time. Is there any way around this?

Ian wittenmyer
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by RobBanick View Post
    I want to do a reverse clip, preserving only areas of the underlying feature class that aren't overlapped by the original feature class.

Is there any way to accomplish this?
    If I understand your question correctly, I think you will get the desired results by using the Erase tool from the analysis > overlay toolset.
    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesk...000000m000000/

Katharina Dubach
    Answers Provided

My probably rather clumsy workaround would be to create a new feature class in which you merge all the polygons you want to use as clippers. Now you have a single multipart polygon you can use to clip the others. Finally delete the merged clipper polygon feature class. Make sure the original feature class of clipper polygons is turned off during the clipping or you may loose your original clipper polygons as well.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Kathi

"Doesn't work" is not a problem description.

Graeme Browning
    Answers Provided

Thanks Kathi

I just used your solution successfully with an ArcView license - thanks!

The Erase solution appears to require an ArcInfo license.

- Graeme

David Meek
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by kathidubach View Post
    My probably rather clumsy workaround would be to create a new feature class in which you merge all the polygons you want to use as clippers. Now you have a single multipart polygon you can use to clip the others. Finally delete the merged clipper polygon feature class. Make sure the original feature class of clipper polygons is turned off during the clipping or you may loose your original clipper polygons as well.

Hope this helps.
    This sounds like a good approach,but I'm a little confused....if you have a multipart polygon and try to use it in the traditional "Analysis>Clip" tool, won't you still end up with the original result, i.e. the area within the clippers? What if you want everything outside of the polygons? Ie. the cookie dough that remains after using the cookie cutter.....(i'm trying to do some cloud removal on a raster...)

Katharina Dubach
    Answers Provided

In 9.3, when you select "Clip" from the Editor pulldown menu, you get a dialog box asking you whether you want to keep the cutting feature or discard it (plus you could set a buffer distance). What the question means is: Do you want to keep the cookie or the dough surrounding it (the other part will be discarded)?
    Cheers,
    Kathi

"Doesn't work" is not a problem description.

David Meek
    Answers Provided

Hi Kathi,

Thanks for your clarification; unfortunately, I'm having the following problem (to clarify: I'm trying to clip a raster with a polygon...not sure if this is causing the problem) have polygon (clipper) and raster (source data) loaded, enable editor, but the "Clip" function (and all the functions in that section of the menu for that matter) are greyed out. I've tried changing which file the Editor is editing (i.e. the polygon or raster), tried changing the task so that it's reshape etc etc, tried adding a second polygon, thinking that it was an issue of incompatibility between raster and polygon...all to no avail. Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance,
    David

David Meek
    Answers Provided

I just found out that ESRI already answered the question....

Reverse clip/masking

+ Reply to Thread