+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Register dlls with win 7 64 bit

Mark Young
    Answers Provided

Default Register dlls with win 7 64 bit

Hi,
    We have been running ArcGIS 10 on Win XP 32 bit Sp3 for some time. Recently got a new laptop with windows 7 64 bit. Installed ArcGIS fine but when I try and install a timestamper plugin/.dll we have been using via regsvr 32 it won't install. I have looked at various websites on how to install via windows\system 32 or windows\syswow64 but nothing seems to work (I have full admin rights)
    This is a major problem as it renders many of our feature classes unreadable as arcgis cannot create COM component.Even if I try and delete the timestamper fields from the feature classes on my XP machine they still wont load. I realise there is an in built timestamper in 10.1 but we are unable to upgrade to 10.1 for the time being.
    Any ideas would be most appreciated
    Thanks
    Mark
    Mark Young
    G.I.S Officer
    UK

John Sobetzer

Answers Provided

Default Re: Register dlls with win 7 64 bit

You might try turning off the UAC entirely, installing the plugin and then if it works turning the UAC back on. If you really get desperate you could reinstall ArcGIs with the UAC off and then try the plugin and all your other customizations.

I think there are sort of two administrators, a hidden/built in one and a "regular" administrator one and the latter lacks some of the capabilities of the former. Some methods of installing, like msi or batch files, don't even provide a good way to get full administrator rights either, although running them from a command line that was run as an administrator usually works.

Mark Young
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Register dlls with win 7 64 bit

Hi,
    Thank you for your advice. I think due to the problems this little .dll is causing already on one PC (we will have this problem on every user's PC when they are migrated to Win 7 64 bit) we will remove the time stamped feature classes as I found that if I export these feature classes to shapefile from my Win XP SP3 machine that works OK. I then remove the timestamper related fields then export back to feature classes. Bit of a hassle but perhaps this timestamped format will conflict with the built-in timestamper in 10.1 ...? Been a great plugin for many years and thank you to the person who configured it but, alas its no longer an option.

Thanks
    Mark
    Last edited by Youngy; 10-10-2012 at 11:13 PM.
    Mark Young
    G.I.S Officer
    UK

+ Reply to Thread