+ Reply to Thread

Thread: .XLSX PROBLEM - Failed to Connect to Database - Class Not Registered

Jegan Somu
    Answers Provided

Default .XLSX PROBLEM - Failed to Connect to Database - Class Not Registered

I have an excel file which is stored in 2007 excel format.
    It has xlsx extension.
    I can see the file in Arc Catalog.
    But when I click the file to preview the content, the following message came.

Failed to Connect to Database.An underlying database error occurred. Class not registered.

Any solution for this issue??
    Could you please make it soon. PLEASE....

I need help
    Jegan S,
    MSc.Geoinformatics,
    India.
    http://jegans.wordpress.com

jegan.somu@gmail.com

Jegan Somu
    Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: .XLSX PROBLEM - Failed to Connect to Database - Class Not Registered

I found something regarding this issue in this link below:

http://forums.esri.com/thread.asp?t=288597&f=1727&c=93
    Jegan S,
    MSc.Geoinformatics,
    India.

jegan.somu@gmail.com

Ray Carnes
    Answers Provided

Default Re: .XLSX PROBLEM - Failed to Connect to Database - Class Not Registered

If you have an .xlsx file you want to use in ArcGIS but do not have Excel 2007 installed, you will need to install the 2007 Office System Driver. It can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center. If you do not have any version of Microsoft Excel installed, you must install that driver before you can use either .xls or .xlsx files. If you have Excel 2010 installed, you must still install the driver.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Jegan Somu
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: .XLSX PROBLEM - Failed to Connect to Database - Class Not Registered

Yeah I downloaded the Access Database Engine from Microsoft and now its working.

And Arc Catalog is showing the table.

Thanks.
    Jegan S,
    MSc.Geoinformatics,
    India.

jegan.somu@gmail.com

Aaron Colbran
    Answers Provided

Question Re: .XLSX PROBLEM - Failed to Connect to Database - Class Not Registered

The problem also exists for Excel 2010 using ArcGIS 9.3.1 with SP2 installed on an XP 32x PC.

If you install the Access Database Engine for 2010 it doesn't make any difference. What is worse is that it doesn't see XLS 2003, CSV, TAB or the most failsafe option MSDOS Text (Which used to be the ONLY one that would work for most Arc9.x versions).

It seems like there is a break in the registry, and could be related to XP.

What has reading a Text file have to do with a database anyway? Cooky!

jordan winch
    Answers Provided

Default Re: .XLSX PROBLEM - Failed to Connect to Database - Class Not Registered

Is anyone aware of a fix for this problem in relation to acolbrans' post.

That is the exact problem that I am having right now.

Thanks,

Jordan

Answers Provided

Hi,

I'm running ARC 10 on Windows 7 64-bit and Microsoft Office 2010. If I save an excel file in an older format (97-2003), I can load it into ARC, Otherwise, I'm experiencing the same error.

Regunathan Umapathy
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by raycarnes View Post
    If you have an .xlsx file you want to use in ArcGIS but do not have Excel 2007 installed, you will need to install the 2007 Office System Driver. It can be downloaded from the Microsoft Download Center. If you do not have any version of Microsoft Excel installed, you must install that driver before you can use either .xls or .xlsx files. If you have Excel 2010 installed, you must still install the driver.

I am also experiencing the same problem. I have uninstalled office 2007 and installed 64bit Office 2010 on a 64bit Windows 7. I have installed the 64 bit version of via Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable. But this didn't solve the issue. I again try to install a 32bit driver I got the following messgage

"You cannot install the 32-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 because you currently have 64-bit office products installed. If you want to install 32-bit Microsoft Access DataBase Engine 2010, you first need to remove the 64-bit installation of Office products. After uninstalling the following product(s), rerun the setup in order to install 32-bit version of Micrsoft Access Database Engine 2010.

Microsoft Access database engine 2010 (English), Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010, Microsoft Office Visio 2010".

Does anyone else have similar problem. I cannot add the excel sheet.

Regunathan Umapathy
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by nateaskins View Post
    Hi,

I'm running ARC 10 on Windows 7 64-bit and Microsoft Office 2010. If I save an excel file in an older format (97-2003), I can load it into ARC, Otherwise, I'm experiencing the same error.
    I do have the same issue. I am also on 64bit Windows 7 using Office 2010 64 bit edition. If I save the excel sheet in (97-2003) then add X Y tool work. Otherwise I cannot add a coordinate with .xlsx format. I am running ArcGIS 9.3

Richard Watson

Answers Provided

32 bit programs such as ArcCatalog cannot load 64 bit code in the same process. This is a very fundamental issue. Sorry.

Ray Carnes
    Answers Provided

I would suggest contacting Esri Technical Support for further troubleshooting, as I don't have any experience with ArcGIS 10 installations that have 64bit Office.

FYI: "The 32-bit version of Office 2010 is the recommended option for most people, because it prevents potential compatibility issues with other 32-bit applications, specifically third-party add-ins that are available only for 32-bit operating systems."

From http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...010369476.aspx
    Last edited by raycarnes; 08-14-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Regunathan Umapathy
    Answers Provided

I would suggest contacting Esri Technical Support for further troubleshooting, as I don't have any experience with ArcGIS 10 installations that have 64bit Office.

FYI: "The 32-bit version of Office 2010 is the recommended option for most people, because it prevents potential compatibility issues with other 32-bit applications, specifically third-party add-ins that are available only for 32-bit operating systems."

From http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...010369476.aspx
    I do have problem with 64 bit Windows 7 and 64 bit Office 2010 on ArcGIS 9.3x. I was able add X Y too if I save the office 2010 excel sheet to office (97-2003) format excel sheet. If both formats doesn't work then I should have doubted 64 bit version as the culprit. Anyway if you want me to try 32 bit office 2010 I can do that and post the results. I did a cross post at the Microsoft community forum to see if some one can help me to solve this issue via Failed to connect to database. An underlying database error occurred. Class not registered.

Ramon Gallegos
    Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: .XLSX PROBLEM - Failed to Connect to Database - Class Not Registered

I am running ArcMap 10 with SP2 and other Esri patches to date on a 64 bit Windows 7 laptop with MS Office 2010.

I had the "Failed to Connect to Database.An underlying database error occurred. Class not registered." problem when connecting to an *.xlsx file.

Ray Carnes' fix, above, fixed the issue for me. And the MS 2007 Office System Driver doesn't appear to have corrupted Access or Excel 2010.
    Thanks Ray Carnes.
    Ramon Gallegos
    Environmental Engineering & Contracting, Inc.
    Santa Ana, CA (714) 667-2300

Regunathan Umapathy
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by ramong View Post
    I am running ArcMap 10 with SP2 and other Esri patches to date on a 64 bit Windows 7 laptop with MS Office 2010.

I had the "Failed to Connect to Database.An underlying database error occurred. Class not registered." problem when connecting to an *.xlsx file.

Ray Carnes' fix, above, fixed the issue for me. And the MS 2007 Office System Driver doesn't appear to have corrupted Access or Excel 2010.
    Thanks Ray Carnes.
    If you have Office 2010 then I guess you need to download the driver for office 2010 and not for office 2007. You can find the Office Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable. There are 2 versions of office 2010 available one is 32 bit and the other one is 64 bit. Unfortunately I do have 64 bit now and I am unable to fix the problem however I think 32 bit will do the work. I will download 32 bit version and let you know if this problem fixed with 32 bit version of office 2010.

Nicola Cook
    Answers Provided

Exclamation Re: .XLSX PROBLEM - Failed to Connect to Database - Class Not Registered

I am running ArcGIS 10 sp2. I also have OS Windows 7, 64 bit, running office 2010 (excel 2010), and have received the same error message, BUT only suddenly starting now after months of use.

I don't even get to the point of opening the file, simply at the stage of "Import/Table/ and the table to table dialog opens and as soon as I click the file folder to choose which file to input I get the message. Now I'm really stumped because it was working and now isn't.

Even worse, just now I have the same message occurring when I try to Import/FeatureClass to my mdb. What is going on here?

Nicola Cook
    Answers Provided

We have a FIX thanks to Dennis at ESRI Tech Support.

I had suddenly experienced the issue of the error message "Failed to Connect to Database. An underlying database error occurred. Class not registered." This was overnight. I already tried saving files to older versions, downloading the Microsoft Database engine, etc. Nothing worked.

This worked: Resetting the registry keys and application data

Close out of all ArcGIS windows/software.
    Go to your C:\Users\your folder\AppData\Roaming\ESRI and rename the folder e.g. "ESRI_old"
    Then go to your windows start panel to Run (or enter "run" in the "Search Programs and Files" box,
    at the Run, type in "regedit" which will take you to the registry. Go to the ESRI folder and rename it. Close it all out and then reopen ArcCatalog.

This will reset your connections to folders in ArcCatalog, and reset the setup of your map window to the original install view, BUT will retain all data and will retain the connections of the layers in your mxds.

Thank you Dennis!

Chris Merkord
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by ramong View Post

Thanks Ray Carnes.
    I had the same experience. I have Excel 2010 64-bit installed on a Windows 7 64-bit and installing the 2007 driver solved the problem for me.

Because I tried this first, I don't know if the fix ce2corp posted from Dennis at ESRI support would have worked too.

jesse belcher
    Answers Provided

I am getting this same error while trying to connect to a .odc connection that Arc Catalog made.. I placed the connection on my server so ArCGis Server could have access to our sql database..

Failed to Connect to Database - Class Not Registered

We don't have Office installed on the server machine..

Eric Martinson
    Answers Provided

Don't tell us that ESRI released a buggy, crappy new version with willfully stupid, productivity-killing interface and functionality changes, without fixing all the basic problems that have remained unaddressed for years, and didn't thoroughly test it to boot? Surely you jest!

Chris Kizer
    Answers Provided

Same issue as ce2corp. Everything was fine until yesterday. The suggested fix from Dennis seems to be missing a few steps. What "ESRI" folder in the registry are you supposed to rename, and what do you rename it as?

Chris Kizer
    Answers Provided

So I decided to try raycanes suggestion instead and it resolved my issue. But if repairing my registery is still something I need to do let me know.

-C

Josh Thompson
    Answers Provided

I am running ArcGIS 10 SP4 on Vista x64 with MS Office 2010. Ran into the same problem yesterday. Had uninstalled and reinstalled ArcGIS and afterwards it could not read .xlsx files. It kept giving me the "Failed to connect to database. An underlying database error occured. Class not registered." error. So I found this thread and followed the link to the raycarnes solution. I thought since I had MSO 2010 installed, that was the driver I should look for. I installed the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 Redistributable for x64 and nothing changed. Still received the "Failed to connect..." error. I then installed the 2007 driver as suggested by raycarnes and ArcGIS can now read .xlsx files again. Completely counter-intuitive that a 2007 fix would solve a 2010 version issue, but it seems that is the case. Thanks for the help...

Charalambos Mattheou
    Answers Provided

Hi, same problem here. While I can open xlsx files in ArcCatalog 10.1, it is unable to insert the same file into ArcMap 10.1. Iam using Evaluasion version of Arcgis 10.1, on an XP 32bit machine. I have tried all the suggested methods, even renaming ESRI folder in HKEY Current User.

I believe that ESRI should take some action, it is a shame to loose time and capabilities by saving from xlsx to xls.

Thanks all

Regunathan Umapathy
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Cmattheou View Post
    Hi, same problem here. While I can open xlsx files in ArcCatalog 10.1, it is unable to insert the same file into ArcMap 10.1. Iam using Evaluasion version of Arcgis 10.1, on an XP 32bit machine. I have tried all the suggested methods, even renaming ESRI folder in HKEY Current User.

I believe that ESRI should take some action, it is a shame to loose time and capabilities by saving from xlsx to xls.

Thanks all
    Hi,
    Please install Office 2007 Data Connectivity Components and update the threat.

Regards,
    Regunathan Umapthy (Uma)

Regunathan Umapathy
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by hnwr View Post
    Completely counter-intuitive that a 2007 fix would solve a 2010 version issue, but it seems that is the case. Thanks for the help...
    Yes indeed the case, for me too that look something but it looks like how that works. May be ESRI Guys thought to implement loweversion that defaulty handles .xlsx is Office 2007 so would have choosen that driver.

Charalambos Mattheou
    Answers Provided

I have Office 2007 Data Connectivity Components installed and works (with Interoperability Extention installed and enabled)

Thaks Uma.

Paul Huffman
    Answers Provided

I just hit this same problem with my new Win 7 64 bit machine and an excel .xlsx spreadsheet someone sent me. All the solutions above were way too complicated for me. But again OpenOffice saved the day for me. I have OO 3.4.1 installed. Now OO is from Apache. I brought the spreadsheet into OpenOffice, then saved it as DBF format. Since MS Office 2007, you haven't been able to save to DBF with Excel. Then the resulting dbf file opened in ArcMap 10.1 just fine.

Free download at http://www.openoffice.org/download/

Nicola Cook
    Answers Provided

I am currently running ArcGIS 10 SP1 on a Windows 7 OS 64-bit. Using Excel 2010. The only way adding either x,y data from an excel spreadsheet or importing an excel data table in the catalog has been to save my .xlsx file back to .xls and using that one. Also, once you get that error message sometimes things lock up. I usually have to close the pop-ups, refresh the map, save the map, close catalog, then start over adding the x,y data and make sure you select the .xls file the first time or it starts all over again.

Nicki

Charalambos Mattheou
    Answers Provided

Hi, it is seems that connecting to Xls or Xlsx database is a constantly returning problem, even all suggested actions taken. I deleted ESRI folder in Application Data, which allowed me to connect once with Xls database (not Xlsx) and when I reopened the Mxd file, the connection has been lost permanently.

Any news about this problem?

Thank You

Quentin Gregg
    Answers Provided

This might be too late.. like 3 years too late but I just had the same error on ArcMap 9.3. However, I saved my Excel Workbook as a CSV, and when I tried the join again, it worked!

So try saving it as a CSV file. Good luck!

Answers Provided

Hey peeps, I got around this annoying error message by saving the excel file I was trying to import as a 97-2003 excel document. Apparently the program just can't work with the newer excel files (I was using the newest version of Excel). This solution is a bit easier than installing Excel drivers and stuff.

Mary Miller
    Answers Provided

Hello,
    I am a GIS Tech and our company just changed to windows 7. We have Arc GIS 10 in our computers. Some one just contacted me because he trying to connect to his folders and retrieve any data sources gets the following error:

Failed to connect to database.
    An underlying database error occurred.
    Class not registered

Downloaded the Excel 2007 32 bit interface and it did not fix the issue. If works when the spreadsheets are saved as "97-2003 Spreadsheet" then it works fine.
    I will really appreciate any help to find a simpler solution of fix.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by marymerjech; 12-04-2013 at 07:32 AM.

Answers Provided

Dear friend,
    I was hit by this issue today. I also found how to solve this problem. The problem is from data interoperability. Go to Customize, Extesion and disable it then you can read .xlsx again. Please make sure that 2007 Office Data Connectivity Components is already setup in your system.

Rebecca Strauch
    Answers Provided

raycarnes solution (#3 above) worked for me on a Windows Server 2008, 64-bit, no Office installed with ArcGIS 10.2.1. It also worked for me on a win7 64-bit with Office 2010 (not sure if 32-bit or 64-bit), and ArcGIS 10.2.1. I was able to view and import one of the spreadsheets from the .xlsx file.

Only issue is that when I import one of the spreadsheets and try to modify one of the field type to "BLOB" it is not changing it. changing it to BLOB allowes it to import, but the field type still shows Text with 255 length. (but that is another issue and I'm still researching).

Just an update to the thread. Please give raycarnes the +1 if it works for you.

(BTW - in my case I did not have the Data Interoperability extension, so that was not the issue/solution for me.)

UPDATE: Used the "Excel (Toolset)" in 10.2.1 and it seems to loaded the table with no issues, and instead of needing a BLOB field type, it created a text with length 2323, no problems. I'm not sure whether the Microsoft patch was needed or not, but it sure didn't hurt anything. -ras
    Last edited by rastrauch; 03-12-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: found Excel (Toolset), may be helpful to others
    Rebecca (Becky)
    AK Dept of Fish and Game - Wildlife - GIS

Eric Erickson
    Answers Provided

I have the same problem - ArcGIS 10.2.1 , Excel 2013, Win 8.1. Converted text file to xlsx and could not import it into ArcGIS. Took the 'fix' of saving it to an earlier version of Excel - worked fine. Is this a problem with Excel, or with ArcGIS? It seems like it's been around for a long time? Anybody know if ESRI is aware of it?

Eric

+ Reply to Thread