+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how to upgrade ArcGIS 10.0 to 10.1 (while the licenses still on maintenance services)

desy maryani
    Answers Provided

Unhappy how to upgrade ArcGIS 10.0 to 10.1 (while the licenses still on maintenance services)

Dear All,
    i have a problem on installing arcGIS 10.1, our local distributor& technical support tell us that we can use our old version (10.0) licenses from Esri, but when i'm installing it and authorize it, the error notification accur : 7109: invalid activationID........

please help.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Default Re: how to upgrade ArcGIS 10.0 to 10.1 (while the licenses still on maintenance servi

Desy,

Yes your distributor told you correctly, but then did not provide all the details.

1) if keeping the license pool on the same hardware, you stop the service and simply uninstall the license manager. But retain the FlexNet Publisher records.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher -- the ARCGIS stanza in the fnp_registrations.xml file
    C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet -- the ARCGIS_xxxxxxxx_tsf data and logs

(adjust paths for a WindowsXP / Server2003)

When the 10.1 License Manager is installed, it should pick up the still intact FlexNet trusted storage records that are tied to the hardware configuration.

2) if moving to new hardware, stop the service and deauthorize the license allowing the exchange with Esri to complete. But keep the Authorization codes or your .PRVS authorization file. Install the new 10.1 License Manager, use the 10.0 authorization numbers or the .PRVS file to authorize the new license pool.

Personally, even if keeping the same hardware, I prefer to deauthorize & authorize new rather than attempt an upgrade in place of a license pool. It is more reliable.

Unfortunately, for you at this point, you must work with your distributor to have your existing 10.0 Authorization numbers "rearmed" by Esri.

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

desy maryani
    Answers Provided

Default Re: how to upgrade ArcGIS 10.0 to 10.1 (while the licenses still on maintenance servi

Thank you Stuart,
    i'm sorry for not so clearly define our company licenses type.
    yes I already deauthorize my old licenses (we have 7 licenses under maintenances service, 6 basic single use (*.prvc) and 1 concurrent basic single use (*.prvs)) is it other deference step on installation and authorize licenses.

why in our country we always had a late upgrade ???
    if the installation kit arrive, we will had the new licenses too...or we just use those existing licenses??

anyway i will try according your explanations...

thank you in advance..
    cheers
    desy

Quote Originally Posted by vsfoote View Post
    Desy,

Yes your distributor told you correctly, but then did not provide all the details.

1) if keeping the license pool on the same hardware, you stop the service and simply uninstall the license manager. But retain the FlexNet Publisher records.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher -- the ARCGIS stanza in the fnp_registrations.xml file
    C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet -- the ARCGIS_xxxxxxxx_tsf data and logs

(adjust paths for a WindowsXP / Server2003)

When the 10.1 License Manager is installed, it should pick up the still intact FlexNet trusted storage records that are tied to the hardware configuration.

2) if moving to new hardware, stop the service and deauthorize the license allowing the exchange with Esri to complete. But keep the Authorization codes or your .PRVS authorization file. Install the new 10.1 License Manager, use the 10.0 authorization numbers or the .PRVS file to authorize the new license pool.

Personally, even if keeping the same hardware, I prefer to deauthorize & authorize new rather than attempt an upgrade in place of a license pool. It is more reliable.

Unfortunately, for you at this point, you must work with your distributor to have your existing 10.0 Authorization numbers "rearmed" by Esri.

Stuart

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Desy,

So, if I understand you correctly, you are upgrading a mix of ArcGIS Desktop Single Use seats from ArcGIS 10.0 to ArcGIS 10.1, and one concurrent use seat of ArcGIS Desktop.

Deauthorizing each of the single use seats, and the lone concurrent use seat on the license manager is probably the safest action. All the authorizations will then be available to your new allocation of 10.1 seats for activation. That should save you some effort in getting your authorizations rearmed. If your installation kit from your distributor provides new PRVC single use authorization files, and a new PRVS concurrent use authorization file--no worries, you're ready to apply them.

But if not, you will be ready to complete authorization using your still viable 10.0 authorization codes. And if for some reason they don't authorize the upgrade installs, you'll need to work with your distributor to order up new codes from Esri. But they'll be able to verify that you deauthorized the old codes which will simplify the ordering process.

Not sure why Esri uses the regional distributor and partner model--imagine it has more to do with licensing and intellectual property protection in the various markets around the globe, unfortunately it does slow down distribution of product updates for a lot of users. Just a fact of doing business on a global scale.

Good luck, and post back to let us know of your outcome--or if you get stuck and need additional help.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 10-16-2012 at 06:26 PM.

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

desy maryani
    Answers Provided

Hi,
    1. can I use the trial version ArcGIS 10.1 installation software (free download version) to install and use our basic single use licenses
    and not using evaluation license from ESRI?

2. if i'm trying to deauthorize my evaluation license, why i can't use it (or activate again) in the same hardware?

does anyone know about this?

desy

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Desy,

The ArcGIS Desktop evaluation downloads are broken out into individual .exe files. They are however the same executables as bundled onto the installation DVDs, and your authorization numbers should work with them. Use the Esri provided download manager to be sure you have a viable download.

The Authorization numbers provided for evaluation (60-day, 180-day or 365-day) are not intended to be rearmed after deauthorization--so can't be reused without intervention by Esri Customer service. Just the way Esri manages things.

Stuart

desy maryani
    Answers Provided

Unhappy Re: how to upgrade ArcGIS 10.0 to 10.1 (while the licenses still on maintenance servi

Thank you all,
    for feedback, now I know the main cause is just because our local distributor, didn't report our status to ESRI as an Active User.

the teething problem were solved........

kind regards,

+ Reply to Thread