+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Create Service with feature access failed

Holger Schade
    Answers Provided

Default Create Service with feature access failed

Hi,

I am trying to publish a service with feature access. The creation of the service failed with the following message:

"Server object instance creation failed on machine ... . No layer or table was initialized". I have read through the tutorial and I think I have all permissions set correctly. Publishing the MapService without "Feature Access" works fine.

I would appreciate any hints on what is going wrong !!!

Vipul Bhatia
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Create Service with feature access failed

Please consider reviewing the following topic:

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserv...0021000000.htm

- There are some specific requirements for feature service.

Holger Schade
    Answers Provided

Yes I am well aware about those requirements - I also followed the step by step "bird watch" tutorial which still created the same error message. Can you indicate in which cases this exception is thrown?

Mathias Westin
    Answers Provided

Hi!

I got the same error when I had problems with the connection to the ArcSDE. Did you get any answers from ESRI on what's causing this error?
    Best Regards
    Mathias Westin
    Xlent Consulting Group
    Sweden
    http://gis.stackexchange.com/

Holger Schade
    Answers Provided

Unhappy Re: Create Service with feature access failed

Unfortunately ESRI is very quiet on this. I will be at the UC next week hopefully I get a bit more information there

Warren Medernach
    Answers Provided

Has anybody found a solution to this?
    I've been banging my head for 2 days over this, and still cannot work through it?

Warren M

Solution found while working with ESRI tech support:
    Turned out to be a combination of privileges and a possible corrupted properties on a specific layer.
    Last edited by WarrenMedernach; 05-27-2011 at 08:39 AM.

Alexey Tereshenkov

Answers Provided

Hey,

I have seen this problem several times. The solution I figured out is outlined below:

1) Share the folder where the .mxd document is stored and give ArcGISSOC account privileges to read it in Windows Explorer.
    2) Copy the .sde connection file which will be used to connect to an ArcSDE geodatabase to this shared folder.
    3) Use this .sde connection file when adding feature classes and other data into an ArcMap map document and not the one which is created under the Database Connections folder in ArcCatalog. This is because the .sde connection files created here are stored in the Windows user account folder, i.e., C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcCatalog in Win7 or C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\ESRI\Desktop10.0\ArcCatalog in WinXP and it seems as ArcGISSOC cannot get access to this .sde connection file.
    4) If all of these did not help, you can try grant privileges to the ArcGISSOC account for the feature class in the ArcSDE geodatabase - right-click the feature class and choose Privileges. Then grant the Edit privilege to the ArcGISSOC account.

Good luck all and please keep posting if you have found another workarounds or solutions.
    Please use the new "Mark as Answer" and "Rate Post" buttons to the right hand side of the posts.
    • You help others searching this forum to find the answer directly.
    • You give credit to the folks who answer your questions.
    • You help to track unanswered questions.

+ Reply to Thread