+ Reply to Thread

Thread: California State Highway shields for labels

Anthony Guzzi
    Answers Provided

Default California State Highway shields for labels

Does anybody know where I can get California State Highway shields for labels?

Claude Banta
    Answers Provided

Default Re: California State Highway shields for labels

Download/unzip the shield stylesheet:

http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=13715

and then follow the instructions on the PDF to get it setup.

HTH

Anthony Guzzi
    Answers Provided

Thank you so much. I've been looking for this for a while, all of my searches came up negative.

Anthony Guzzi
    Answers Provided

Um, I can't seem to access them in 9.3.1, I followed the instructions exactly. Doh!

Jeff Ward
    Answers Provided

Here is how I use the ddv highway shields. I install the fonts, then I use them as marker symbols as background for dynamic labeling instead of pre-numbered text graphics. Get ready for some serious dialog boxes:

Go to layer properties -> Labels tab. Click on the Symbol button in the Text Symbol box. Click the Properties button. Click the Advanced Text tab. Check the Text Background box, then the Properties button that becomes enabled. Change the type to Marker Text Background in the Type dropdown box. Click the Symbol button. Click the Properties button. Select "Character Marker Symbol" in the type dropdown box. Then select the font you installed in the font dropdown box (I had to look through several fonts before I found what I wanted, which was a beehive shield (for Utah) without the box around it). Once you have your font selected you can pick a solid black shield that isn't pre-numbered and change the color to match the green of your shield symbol and adjust the size. Then click the + button in the Layers box to add the hollow outline of the shield and change its color to white and adjust the size to the same size or a bit smaller. Once you are happy with the way the shield looks, click OK and then on the Symbol Selector dialog be sure you click Save... or you will have to do all that again. You can then just click OK on the rest of the dialogs.

It may take some experimenting with different sizes and colors that you want, but it will be worth it to be able to label your highways dynamically instead of using the pre-numbered shields as text graphics.

I hope that helped and that it makes sense.

Jeff Ward

Anthony Guzzi
    Answers Provided

Wow did that ever help! It works brilliantly! Thanks!

Now there's a white square in the middle of it that I can't get rid of though.

Jeff Ward
    Answers Provided

I was able to build a decent looking California highway shield using three marker layers. I installed the ddvCA21G font in my fonts folder (You would probably want to install the whole set, I didn't because I'm not going to be using them). I then went through all of the steps outlined above. On the "Symbol Property Editor" dialog is where I created the three layers. Your white box in the middle is probably from when you added your second layer to the symbol. The dialog defaults to an ESRI square solid fill marker when you click the + button to add a layer. You need to specify the ddv font in the font box again for each layer you add. I have attached a screen shot of the dialog with the three layers shown.

The bottom layer is the solid wider marker with an RGB value of 0,155,110 to match the green highway shields and a Y Offset of 3. The middle layer is the same marker but size 36 and white in color with a Y Offset of 3. The top marker is the wide marker with "California" along the top size 34 with the same RGB value as the bottom layer (0,155,110) and a Y Offset of 4. You can play around with these layers and settings or the other fonts in the set to get exactly what you want. I could have made the shield with two layers using the white shield outline marker, but the outline seemed too thin and not very well defined.

I hope that helps you get a handle on building your shields.

Jeff Ward
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CAHighwayShields.jpg‎
Views:	327
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1471  
    Last edited by jmward; 06-29-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Attach image.

Anthony Guzzi
    Answers Provided

Ok, I think I got it now. I was able to make it work, but there are so many levels that it's very difficult to keep things adjusted correctly. Also now I have many different versions saved that are not any good, I want to delete them but don't see a way. I wish I could just save this little symbol as a file that I could carry around on my flash drive, so I could use it at other places without the fonts.

Thanks

Jeff Ward
    Answers Provided

You can delete marker symbols in the Style Manager. In ArcMap, go to Tools -> Styles -> Style Manager. On the Style Manager dialog, select your user account style in the left panel, probably the top one (C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\ESRI\ArcMap\yourusername.style). Double click the Marker Symbols folder and you should see any marker symbols that you have saved in the panel on the right. Select and delete the ones you don't want. I think you can share styles with others, but I don't know how without looking in to it further. Search the help on exporting styles and that should get you what you need.

Jeff Ward

Anthony Guzzi
    Answers Provided

I wish it were as easy as a .lyr

Anthony Guzzi
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by jmward View Post
    You can delete marker symbols in the Style Manager. In ArcMap, go to Tools -> Styles -> Style Manager. On the Style Manager dialog, select your user account style in the left panel, probably the top one (C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\ESRI\ArcMap\yourusername.style). Double click the Marker Symbols folder and you should see any marker symbols that you have saved in the panel on the right. Select and delete the ones you don't want. I think you can share styles with others, but I don't know how without looking in to it further. Search the help on exporting styles and that should get you what you need.

Jeff Ward

Wow, I wouldn't have known about that. It wasn't mentioned in my ArcGIS class. :-)

Thanks

Jim Mossman
    Answers Provided

Back in 2005 at the UC I gave a presentation which included labeling lines with marker symbols. I'm not sure if this would be easier or harder than the first suggested method. It uses five steps:

1. Use a Geodatabase,
    2. Label Highway Features,
    3. Convert Labels to Annotation,
    4. Convert Annotation to Points, and
    5. Match to Symbols in a Style.

The PowerPoint for this used to be available on ESRI's site, but I can't find it now. So I've put it up in a special folder on my website. Go to http:\\www.jmossmanart.com\ddv (ddv for Data Deja View). Of course, its missing my comments , but I think it's still understandable (especially if you have dealt with annotation before).

Regards,
    Jim Mossman
    (Data Deja View)

Steven Moore
    Answers Provided

I just read your July 2010 reply about creating annotation feature classes. That may be convenient for some purposes, but it doesn't retain the dynamic positioning available when labelling normally which I find useful for the broad map uses required in my office. I just sent a note via the arcscripts interface, but basically when exporting PDFs neither embedding fonts nor converting marker symbols to polygons is not fully working when people who open my PDFs don't have your DDV fonts installed.

I love using your fonts rather than just an oval or circle for state roads, but this embedding problem needs to be fixed. Perhaps your font creation software is preventing this option from working. We are also moved now into a CITRIX environment so I need my IT guys to install your fonts on all their servers so they're available to all users in my agency nationwide.

Answers Provided

Is anyone else having trouble with the DDVCA highway shield fonts when they have upgraded to Windows 7? I cannot get my machine to recognize them as fonts. Ideas?

Bret Whiteley
    Answers Provided

I too am trying to get this going in ArcMap 10.1 on Windows 7. Has anybody been able to do this? I did read that DDV symbols were written with VB, which is not supported in ArcGIS 10 - could that be the reason?

Bret Whiteley
    Answers Provided

I found the solution and could install the fonts on Windows 7 - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...s-install.html

+ Reply to Thread