+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ArcMap 10.1 SP1 crashing frequently

Sarah North
    Answers Provided

Default ArcMap 10.1 SP1 crashing frequently

Hi --

I installed ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 over a week ago. Since then, ArcMap has been crashing frequently (every hour or two). First it starts to slow down (response time to mouse clicks, redraw, selection, etc gets slower), then the screen refresh starts to fail (menus, context menus, toolbars, and dialog boxes do not display fully, and the map display doesn't finish refreshing), and then ArcMap crashes.

I also installed ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 on a colleague's computer a week ago, and he is experiencing exactly the same problems.

We are working on several different projects with different data sets, so I do not think the problem is data related. We were previously using ArcGIS 10.0 SP5 with no problems.

We both have 64-bit capable machines, but only have 32-bit OS installed (awaiting upgrade from our IT dept).

I've got a case open with Esri tech support, but no solution yet.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? Any idea how to fix them?

I had hoped that waiting for SP1 before upgrading to 10.1 would help us to avoid this type of problem!

thanks,
    sarah

K. Steele
    Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcMap 10.1 SP1 crashing frequently

I came here to look up anyone also have frequent crashes with 10.1. It's been running fine but the last two days have grueling. I don't have the same problems as above leading up to the crash, mine will do when I am trying to save edits, or most often when I am switching from another program (like Chrome) to ArcMap. It's done with different .mxd and .gdb as well. I think it's crashed about 6 times today and I'm starting to get impatient about this.

edit: Make that 9 times today.
    Last edited by Colchicine; 11-27-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Patrick Ladd
    Answers Provided

I had problems with ArcMap crashing at 10.1 sp1. ESRI told me to start a new mxd. So I did and the crashing stopped. They told me I had done too many edits.

Sarah North
    Answers Provided

Thanks for the suggestion, Patrick. Unfortunately, I don't think creating a new MXD will be a viable solution in our case.

This problem seems to be happening on many of our MXDs. And some of our MXDs are for map/figure production. So starting over with a new MXD each time it starts crashing would be a lot of extra work.

sarah

Alan Tonkin
    Answers Provided

Angry Re: ArcMap 10.1 SP1 crashing frequently

I have been experiencing exactly the same problems as well. Screen refreshes get slower, clearing selection slower, saving edits slower then eventually a crash!

In my case i am making edits to a shapefile and after only a handful of edits (maybe 10) it starts slowing down. It is impractical to make a few edits, save & stop editing, save the mxd and exit ArcMap and re-run ArcMap just to speed things up again & avoid a crash.

ESRI, please come to the party now & find a solution to this issue as it is a serious problem!!!

Sarah North
    Answers Provided

Thanks everyone for reporting the problems you're having. Alan, in particular, seems to be having the same problem we're having. I didn't think we could be the only ones. I'll respond here if I ever get a solution. I think it's worthwhile opening a ticket with Esri tech support, if only so that Esri knows there is something wrong.

sarah

m m
    Answers Provided

Same thing here, post if you find a solution. Stopping and starting editing does seem to help. Cannot reproduce or narrow it down to one thing.

Cory Williams
    Answers Provided

Hi all,
    I've had similar issues with my users and I'm currently backing out of SP1.

There's another similar thread, but there doesn't seem to be any solution as yet...

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/713...nce-installing

Narrowing this issue down is troublesome. However I have noticed when you have an MXD open, if you click on the New icon, ArcMap tends to crash. I have also noticed that the screen refresh can take quite some time. Sometimes having to hit Esc, F5 to get the screen to load.

I've backed out of 10.1SP1 back to just 10.1.

Sarah North
    Answers Provided

We seem to have solved our crashing problem.

On Friday, Esri Canada tech support walked me through (1) repairing my installation, and (2) resetting my profile. I have not had a crash since. My colleague did the same yesterday, and he has not had a crash since.

You may want to contact your own Esri tech support for full instructions for doing this, particularly as one step involves messing with your Windows Registry. I do not claim to be any kind of expert in this, so use the steps outlined below with caution, and only if you know what you're doing.

REPAIR ARCGIS 10.1 INSTALLATION
    - close all applications
    - go to Add/Remove Programs
    - go to ArcGIS 10.1 Desktop, select Change/Remove
    - select Repair
    - wait for completion
    - do NOT start ArcMap when done

RESET USER PROFILE
    - ensure ArcMap NOT open
    - go to C:\Documents and Settings\snorth\Application Data\ESRI\
    - rename this folder (e.g., to ESRI_old)
    - go to System Registry (via Start - Run - regedit)
    - go to HKEY CURRENT USER - Software - ESRI; rename ESRI (e.g., to ESRI_old)

So far, this has worked for the two problem installations in my office.

sarah

K. Steele
    Answers Provided

I just wanted to follow up on my crashing problems. The root was a recent Windows update to my 32bit Vista machine. I did a restore from a few days prior and things have cleared up.

Sarah North
    Answers Provided

Back to square one. My ArcMap worked fine for four days, but has now started crashing in exactly the same way, again. My colleague's ArcMap worked okay for a day, but has also started crashing again.

I've got Esri Canada tech support helping, again. Will post here if we get any results.

sarah

Matt Bull
    Answers Provided

I'm experiencing a similar problem right now. Over the course of yesterday and today, ArcMap has slowed to a crawl and at the end of the day yesterday and all day today it just randomly crashes for no apparent reason. I've been using ArcScene and it doesn't seem to be affected. Does anyone know if this is an SP1 problem? If so I may have to move to another computer that hasn't had SP1 installed on it yet.
    GIS Dynamo
    Altus Geomatics

Cory Williams
    Answers Provided

hi all,
    I've noticed another issue. Working with a file geodatabase on a network share, quite often, the data frame will not refresh when panning (Q).

The text down the bottom left will say "Cancelled" as though i've hit escape, but the globe down the right will keep spinning.

anyone else seen something similar?

John Pattison
    Answers Provided

I too am having this problem. At first I thought it was only when I was editing a shapefile or database but now it happens anytime for no apparent reason. The program just stops responding - sometimes I can close the window other times it shuts down itself and asks if I want to send details to ESRI and sometimes I have to close the application with task manager. I'm running ArcGIS desktop 10.1 sp1 on Windows 7 Professional 64 bit.
    This is very frustrating as I cannot seem to work more than 15 or 20 minutes without a crash.

Matt Bull
    Answers Provided

Update from yesterday. I am still getting random crashes and many processes which normally happen instantly are taking 2-3 minutes or more to complete (for example, opening the Change Symbol dialogue with text elements in a layout). There are also certain map documents that seem more susceptible than others. I uninstalled SP1 and that hasn't solved the problem. I would also like to add that this is only affecting ArcMap (ArcScene and ArcCatalog seem to be working normally) and only on my computer (there is another computer in conference room with ArcMap 10.1 on it that seems to be unaffected). It is getting really frustrating and I would really like to know if there is a solution to this problem, or when we can expect a fix.
    GIS Dynamo
    Altus Geomatics

Michael Hewitt
    Answers Provided

Exclamation Re: ArcMap 10.1 SP1 crashing frequently

@ snorth... Having similar problems as the rest of the folks here on this thread over the past week or so since I installed ArcGIS 10.1. Should I try to repair my installation, or does your following post show that didn't help? I am running Windows 7 32 bit, but I am pretty sure that I have the correct 32 bit version of ArcGIS.

I tried starting with a new MXD and copied my data over. That was a trick that worked when upgrading to 10 from 9.3. Didn't seem to help this time. I did install about 15 updates to windows today, which seemed to make it worse.

Usually I open Windows Task Manager and set the priority to high when it starts to bug out. That usually gives ArcMap a kick in the butt and gets it responding again. But not now. Even my favorite Advance SystemCare 6 system tune up software didn't help. I have tried these last 2 techniques since ArcGIS 9.0 and they always seemed to help to some extent.

I opened ArcMap again just now and the Bing Aerial Basemaps are unavailable. That is because I noticed the little ArcGIS Online connection running in my tray. I disabled that because I know that was causing ArcMap 10 to be pokey, but that just disables the online basemap connection. Seems not to affect 10.1 speed. Don't mess with that?

I am at a loss. ESRI, PLEASE HELP!
    Last edited by hardcoal; 12-13-2012 at 01:25 PM. Reason: found more information

Chris Fox

Answers Provided

For anyone experiencing problems like those described in this thread I would encourage you to contact Technical Support. Unfortunately, there is not likely one fix that is going to apply to every customer here and contacting Technical Support directly is the most efficient way to resolve these kinds of problems.

http://support.esri.com/en/
    Chris Fox
    Esri

Sarah North
    Answers Provided

I agree with Chris Fox -- contact your Esri tech support for help on this.

Hardcoal: Repairing my installation was only a temporary fix for me (lasted about 4 days of intense ArcMap use). I do think it's worth a try.

A few days ago, I uninstalled ET GeoWizards (suggestions from Esri tech support). I'm waiting to see if that helps -- so far, things are better, but I haven't used ArcMap much this week. And I have installed 10.1 SP1 on other computers in our office that are not crashing but do have ET GeoWizards installed.

sarah

Ianko Tchoukanski
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by snorth View Post
    I agree with Chris Fox -- contact your Esri tech support for help on this.

Hardcoal: Repairing my installation was only a temporary fix for me (lasted about 4 days of intense ArcMap use). I do think it's worth a try.

A few days ago, I uninstalled ET GeoWizards (suggestions from Esri tech support). I'm waiting to see if that helps -- so far, things are better, but I haven't used ArcMap much this week. And I have installed 10.1 SP1 on other computers in our office that are not crashing but do have ET GeoWizards installed.

sarah
    ET GeoWizards will not cause any problems to the standard ArcGIS. This is because the software does not change anything in the ArcGIS settings, does not write anything in the project (.mxd) files, etc.

If the machine has 64 Bit Windows and you have installed the Background Geoprocessing for 64 Bit OS which comes with Service Pack 1 of ArcGIS 10.1 the toolbox implementation of the ET GeoWizards functionality will fail if executed in Background. The reason for this is that ArcGIS (if installed on a 64 Bit machine) pushes the geoprocessing tasks to 64 Bit Python. Currently ET GeoWizards is a 32 Bit application that runs with no problem on 64 Bit computers, but in 32 bit mode.

If you execute the functions via the ET GeoWizards interface they should run just fine

If you are executing the tools from ArcToolbox, you need to untick the box in the Geoprocessing Options that enables Background Geoprocessing.

If you are using Python scripts, you need to run them using 32 Bit Python. There should be two versions of Python
    C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\python.exe - 32 bit
    or
    C:\Python27\ArcGISx6410.1\python.exe - 64 bit
    make sure to run Python.exe with the full path - C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.1\python.exe

Michael Hewitt
    Answers Provided

@Snorth, I don't run ET GeoWizards. So I don't see how this could be problematic. Seems to me that it is 3rd Party Software to point a finger at. There is more than one thread about this issue, we are not the only ones with this specific problem.

@Chris, Contacting ESRI support is a pain for me since I use a concurrent license. Due to the fact that I am not the specific license contact, I have to get others involved, which can take weeks to solve a problem (especially so close to the holidays). ArcGIS 10.0 sp 3 worked perfectly fine on this computer. Why is it choking on 10.1?

Lately the crashes have been happening while I am trying to design the map. I have been saving the map every minute or so, to minimize the amount of work lost.

I am running a Windows 7 32 bit OS on an Intel Core i5 M520 @ 240 GHz with 2GB RAM.

Gordon Bowne
    Answers Provided

Hi,

I also was and still experiencing random crashing. I spent about two weeks with support and nothing really changed. We tried all the usual fixes to no avail. I now try to save after just a few edits ( Big pain). I also compress the DB frequently and I defrag the mxd ever so often. All this is more to satisfy me than to solve anything. I certainly hope that ESRI will soon solve this problem.
    This is becoming a real problem. The lost time is one thing, but the lost edits are a killer.
    This software has become very disappointing.

Sarah North
    Answers Provided

I haven't used ArcMap enough this week to continue working on this problem directly. But my colleague has, and has had lots of crashing. We tried uninstalling ET Geowizards, and turning of Sophos Antivirus, with no improvements.

I am very glad to hear that ET Geowizards is not a likely cause of the problem!

sarah

Michael Hewitt
    Answers Provided

I wanted to give it a good old college try today, so if I do call support, I know what to tell them. I was getting pissed and giving up prior to this.

I disabled my Symantec Endpoint Protection Real-time Scanning as well and there has been less frequent crashing today. It would run for 30 minutes to an hour at a time. I remember having to setup a white-list of file extensions to automatically trust years ago with ArcGIS version 9 and a different version of the Symantec AntiVirus scanner. Again, 10.0 had no problems with my current Anti-virus scanner.

I also refrained from using Google Chrome all day, since I know that has a problem jamming up the print feature in 10. I would fix that by shutting down Chrome when I wanted to print or export a map to PDF.

One new feature I do like in 10.1 is that there is an "Analyze Map" feature in the file menu. I was able to speed up the time it takes to open the MXD by repairing some missing source data. Like MXD doctor, I guess, but the scan was much quicker and actually built into ArcMap.

It crashed several times while I was designing a map in layout view, once while trying to export a map to PDF and finally froze while editing a shapefile. That is when I gave up for the day.

I saved religiously every minute or 5 so I did not loose much progress. It feels like riding a horse with 3 broken legs. I am getting used to falling off. I still don't like it, but we are fumbling along slowly. Took me, oh, I would say 4 hours to make a map and export it to PDF.

Michael Hewitt
    Answers Provided

Question Re: ArcMap 10.1 SP1 crashing frequently

Just discovered my computer is at the minimum memory requirements at 2 GB RAM. ArcGIS 10.1 minimum requirements page lead me to use this link to scan my computer: http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.co..._if/1186/10913 Wonder if a memory upgrade would help? Hmmm.

Brett Davies
    Answers Provided

Hi all,

I'm going to join the club on this crash thing. It seems to happen randomly and several times a day. I've noticed that it occurs when drawing a line in edit mode and/or moving the field of view during an edit session. Sometimes it just crashes when no editing action on my part is being taken. Seems to have started (with a vengeance) after installation of SP1 for 10.1 (64bit environment). This, plus my ongoing issue with the trace tool not consistently functioning i.e. simply not wanting to start, or continue a trace (replicated by ESRI), plus layers or workspaces now suddenly becoming 'read only' with no obvious fix (this is new as of today), is now beginning to cost us real money. These are serious and basic functionality issues that must be addressed and I'm sure many here would very much appreciate it if ESRI acknowledged that they exist, perhaps following up with those that have reported the problem (email provided on the error reports), and prioritise the fixes. Many of my error messages have been automatically forwarded to ESRI (how do these get handled)- although some haven't when I've been editing away from an internet connection. Will be keeping an eye on this thread - and my email - in the hope someone can at least offer a reason for the crashes.

Richard Watson

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Geobrett View Post
    These are serious and basic functionality issues that must be addressed and I'm sure many here would very much appreciate it if ESRI acknowledged that they exist, perhaps following up with those that have reported the problem (email provided on the error reports), and prioritise the fixes. Many of my error messages have been automatically forwarded to ESRI (how do these get handled)
    I don't speak for ESRI so caveat emptor.

When you send error reports it sends a small crash dump file to ESRI. They can use a debugger to examine the dump file in order to determine where the crash occurred. Sometimes where it occurs is the problem and these issues can easily be resolved. Sometimes the problem is far more complex and the crash dump does not provide sufficient information to resolve the issue. In this case the crash is still useful in that it records the fact that it happened which let's ESRI judge how serious the problem is, i.e. frequency.

So, I definitely encourage everyone to report the problems.

That said, I think that it is unlikely that ESRI is going to contact you about these. If you want contact then I believe that you will need to file a support incident. The problem with that is that support is going to insist that you provide a reproducible test case which is sometimes difficult. Does anyone have a reproducible test case?

Bryan Forrest
    Answers Provided

Mine quits responding on saves most times and almost always when clicking the red X to close. When going through file, exit it closed quickly. Lost a few hours of work yesterday. Has anyone found any answers?

Michael Hewitt
    Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: ArcMap 10.1 SP1 crashing frequently

Quote Originally Posted by rlwatson View Post
    I don't speak for ESRI so caveat emptor.

When you send error reports it sends a small crash dump file to ESRI. They can use a debugger to examine the dump file in order to determine where the crash occurred. Sometimes where it occurs is the problem and these issues can easily be resolved. Sometimes the problem is far more complex and the crash dump does not provide sufficient information to resolve the issue. In this case the crash is still useful in that it records the fact that it happened which let's ESRI judge how serious the problem is, i.e. frequency.

So, I definitely encourage everyone to report the problems.

That said, I think that it is unlikely that ESRI is going to contact you about these. If you want contact then I believe that you will need to file a support incident. The problem with that is that support is going to insist that you provide a reproducible test case which is sometimes difficult. Does anyone have a reproducible test case?
    Thank you for your response. I sent over 10 automatic crash e-mails (reproducible test cases) just yesterday to ESRI with my e-mail included for a response. I also told them what I was trying to do at the time of the crash. I (incorrectly) assumed that ESRI was going to contact me about these incidents. The popup window after the crash implies a response from ESRI.

So are these just ignored? I believe someone said they are stored on my hard drive, I would be happy to send them or make more.

I have made contact with support, but I do not have a customer ID since I use a concurrent license. ANY kind of support requires this, therefore, I have to get others involved. Thanks.
    Last edited by hardcoal; 12-20-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: additional information

Andrew Moffitt
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by hardcoal View Post
    So are these just ignored?
    I too have wondered what exactly happens to these.

Michael Hewitt
    Answers Provided

Talking Re: ArcMap 10.1 SP1 crashing frequently

ArcGIS 10.1 has been behaving today. It seems to be running fine for the past 3 hours. Go figure, you call the doctor and it plays nice. I asked them to keep the ticket open just in case it decides to flip out again.

Lastnight, I set my AntiVirus scanner to ignore some common ESRI extensions (shp, mxd, gdb and some others). Also, my CD drive seemed to be running funny. So I burned a new data CD (since a majority of my data was being pulled off a CD) and it seemed to calm the drive down. Printed off a little picture of Gizmo to ward off the evil Gremlins and stuck it above my computer.

I have been running Google Chrome all day. In and out of e-mail and this forum. Running MS Office programs.

I think it has more to do with the factor that I am dealing with a concurrent license. I had to update some "3rd Party Software" related to that, but I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

So far so good....
    Last edited by hardcoal; 12-20-2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: new information

Sarah North
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by hardcoal View Post
    Printed off a little picture of Gizmo to ward off the evil Gremlins and stuck it above my computer.
    Best suggestion, yet!

I use both single use license (ArcGIS Basic with 3D Analyst & Spatial Analyst) and concurrent license (for ArcGIS Advanced/ArcInfo). Pretty sure the crashing is happening in both environments, but I'll keep a closer eye on this.

We have also tried turning of Sophos Antivirus, and changing our video drivers, to no avail.

Michael Hewitt
    Answers Provided

Unhappy Re: ArcMap 10.1 SP1 crashing frequently

Well it's acting up again. I got support involved and have a case number. I called a left a message, but with the holidays quickly approaching, I don't expect a call back today. This time, it was revolving around printing a map and exporting to PDF. Random crap! After a restart, it will print fine or export. Drives me nuts. The only saving grace is that I am saving the MXD religiously every 5 minutes.
    I think Gizmo is doing his best to drive away the bad gremlins, but as in the movies, he doesn't always win every battle. Maybe I need a Harley Bell too.

Still limping along!

Merry Christmas!

Michael Hewitt
    Answers Provided

The doctor did call back today. Why am I such a Doubting Thomas? His suggestion was to rename Normal.mxt to Normal_old.mxt. After restarting ArcMap, a new Normal.mxt was created (and all my modifications were reset, whatever, I am fined with that). If you need the directory to find it in, let me know and I will try to find the whitepaper that has them listed for all the different OS. He says that a majority of the time, this will fix many problems caused by Windows Updates and etc.

He also said that my other rituals (aside from Gizmo) can help in performance. These were all gained knowledge from about 10 years of using this program (ArcView 3.0 was what I learned in college).

It seems to be running fine for the time being. We shall see what the future holds. Crossing my fingers (I know luck still has something to do with it).

Melita Kennedy

Answers Provided

A friend in technical support mentioned something else as a possibility. On XP, browse to

C:\Program Files\common files\ArcGIS\Desktop10.1\Configuration\CATID

which is where third-party applications are 'registered'. If you don't have the folder, you haven't installed any. Try renaming the CATID folder and restart ArcMap/ArcCatalog. That will keep any third-party applications from starting. If you still have problems with crashes, you can change the folder name back. She also mentioned trying to remove add-ins, but I don't have the details on that.

Melita
    Melita Kennedy
    Sr. Esri Product Engineer

Justin Hunter
    Answers Provided

From previous experience I have found that clearing out the geoprocessing results helps in situations where ArcMap and ArcCatalog crashes after heavy use. My use caused hundreds, if not thousands of them to add up and it seemed to bog down the program.

Hopefully that helps someone.

Claire Brown
    Answers Provided

We have been experiencing the same issue lately. It has been more common after rectifying jpgs using the georeferencing toolbar. It will rectify fine, load in properly. However about 10-15 minutes later, arcmap slows down. You can save your edits, then try and do more changes, it then stalls and wont let the user click on any button. You have to force it to crash. We have deleted our normal mxt. The map was created in 10.1 sp 1, the geodatabase is file gdb v 10.1. Windows 7 64-bit. We will try the repair option to see if that changes anything.

Gavin Doyle
    Answers Provided

It's incredible how much time this can waste.

It seems that the solution is to dump 10.1, and to go back to 10.0 until esri have ironed out the bugs.

Not impressed!

Claire Brown
    Answers Provided

One thing to note for our workflow is that we have editing tracking turned on. We noticed that the crashing became more frequent when the tracking was enabled. Anyone else see this?

Sarah North
    Answers Provided

Claire -- The editor tracking feature is only available for geodatabases, I think. We're seeing this problem with shapefiles, where we don't have editor tracking available at all.

sarah

Chris Fox

Answers Provided

The editor tracking is an interesting find, it may be related to specific crashes and would make sense to be new at 10.1 because that functionality is new at 10.1.

Could people who are experiencing crashes please post some of their crash dump files to this thread with some context of what they were doing when the crash occured? You can retrieve the crash dumps from %localappdata%\ESRI\ErrorReports, just look for the timestamp to associate the crash dump file to when the crash occured.

Also I want to say that sometimes can help us figure out the cause of your specific crash, but often the crash dump alone is not enough to determine why the crash occured. A reproducible case is most effective in resolving these issues, but I understand it is very hard in these scenarios to recreate the problem on command. So if you can provide some context of what you were doing when it crashed, or like the editor tracking some factor that seems to be consistent with the crash it will be very helpful.
    Chris Fox
    Esri

Kenneth Foltz
    Answers Provided

I work with Claire and am the one that has been experiencing the issues. I will go into further detail about what I have been experiencing. We are working on editing a parcel database with many changes being made. To draw/cut the parcels we have been rectifying the maps of the subdivisions. We origianlly thought the slowdown/crashes we have been experiencing were related to our rectified images. This, however, does not seem to be the case as I am experiencing crashes even with no images in the map at all.

Our second thought was that it was perhaps tied to editing tracking, which is something we hadn't used very much until this particular project. That, however, has been ruled out as we disabled the editor tracking and are still experiencing the crashes.

And so, where are we at this point? After openin ArcMap I get about 15 minutes of work in before it starts slowing down. After the 15 minutes it just gets slower and slower until I am unable to click on anything. The program rarely has a 'true' crash and I am forced to exit through ending the process in task manager. I have had 10-20 crashes the last three days and it has slowed down the progress I could be making without these issues.

Also, one thing I notice when in the task manager is this arcgiscachemgr.exe running. This is not something I remember seeing with 10.0 and am curious as to what it is and what it is running.

Thank you for your time and looking into the matter. Hope there are some answers as to what might be going on soon.

-Ken Foltz

Richard Watson

Answers Provided

Ken,

The question is:

What is going on with the ArcMap process when it gets really slow?

The best case here is if you can come up with out-of-the-box reproducible test case that you can provide ESRI support. If that is not possible then you have to try and diagnose the problem. First off you have to tell us about your configuration. What exact version of the software are you running, on which OS with how much memory, which extensions are you loading/using, which database are you using and how are you connected to it, and whether or not there is any custom code (yours or 3rd party) involved.

Possibilities:
    • There is a memory leak and you are slowly running out of memory
    • There is an algorithm problem and as you add more data it just gets slower
    • You have as environment problem, e.g. your network/database/virus scanner/infrastructure is the problem
    • You are using a 3rd party package and it has a problem
    • You have a configuration problem, e.g. other posts indicate that they have higher success when not using older mxd files (recreate them)

The list goes on and on. Unless someone is having the exact same problem that you are (and they might be) then it would be really hard to diagnose your issues without a lot more information.

There are various tools available to diagnose these type of issues
    • Use WinDbg (with Microsoft and ESRI symbols enabled) and see what the main thread is doing. If doing this is not possible then create a dump file
    • Use VMMap and determine whether or not you are running out of memory
    • Use Process Monitor to see what the ArcMap process is doing
    • Look at your SDE logs and see if there is a problem there
    • Look at your database logs/performance and see if there is a problem there

If you are not a developer then create a dump file and post it. I recommend using Microsoft SysInternals ProcDump tool to create the dump file, i.e. do not use Task Manager to do this:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../dd996900.aspx

Just run "procdump ArcMap". The problem with this dump file is that it will not capture a lot of information so I suggest to use the "ma" switch, i.e. "procdump -ma ArcMap". That is going to create a huge dump file which you are going to have to put in a cloud storage system (e.g. DropBox, Box.Net, Amazon, etc.) and post a link to it. If that way too big then try the "-mp" switch.

If digging through this is too much then I suggest hiring a consultant (no, this is not a solicitation) to help. Perhaps ESRI consulting or one of the ESRI partners?

Best of luck!

m m
    Answers Provided

Just lost another 1/2 hr of work, that's what I get for forgetting to save.

First off not sure if this had been replicated elsewhere, the 'auto adjust feature' in georeferencing, which luckily I do not need for one of my jobs, is broken in 10.1 sp1, it only allows one iteration of updating georeferencing. Can others confirm this?

My problems are freezes/crashes editing personal and file geodatabases and georeferencing/working with tif rasters. I'm running no third party apps/no extensions on 64bit win7 pro i7, nvidia video. Occasionally get the 'thrown exception destructor' error.

See other thoughts in bold to the previous post.

"The question is:

What is going on with the ArcMap process when it gets really slow?

The best case here is if you can come up with out-of-the-box reproducible test case that you can provide ESRI support. - YES, constantly add, remove, group and ungroup ten to twenty georeferenced rasters (tif in this case), and it will eventually crash, though it may take a few days of doing this, but someone can try if they want. If that is not possible then you have to try and diagnose the problem. First off you have to tell us about your configuration. What exact version of the software are you running, on which OS with how much memory, which extensions are you loading/using, which database are you using and how are you connected to it, and whether or not there is any custom code (yours or 3rd party) involved.

Possibilities:
    • There is a memory leak and you are slowly running out of memory - NO, ArcMap never uses more than 300mb mem
    • There is an algorithm problem and as you add more data it just gets slower - NOT sure what this means but sounds like an ESRI fix
    • You have as environment problem, e.g. your network/database/virus scanner/infrastructure is the problem - OTHERs here have diabled anti-virus to no avail, and we all have different anti-virus packages
    • You are using a 3rd party package and it has a problem - NO, this has been cleared up
    • You have a configuration problem, e.g. other posts indicate that they have higher success when not using older mxd files (recreate them) - TRUE to some degree, a fresh mxd and resetting ArcMap ESRI data folders fixes the problem for a short time, a few hours, a day, then it creeps back up to the point of the mxd contantly crashing
    "

Joe Drechsler
    Answers Provided

Hi Chris,

RE: your request for dump files dated, 01-04-2013 01:25 PM

I was selecting a graphical element in Layout View (in an mxd that was created using version 10) when my mxd froze and then shut down.
    My machine and situation are almost identical to Sarah's as outlined in the original posting.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GIsJoe100; 01-08-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Joe Drechsler
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Fox View Post
    Could people who are experiencing crashes please post some of their crash dump files to this thread with some context of what they were doing when the crash occured? You can retrieve the crash dumps from %localappdata%\ESRI\ErrorReports, just look for the timestamp to associate the crash dump file to when the crash occured.

Also I want to say that sometimes can help us figure out the cause of your specific crash, but often the crash dump alone is not enough to determine why the crash occured. A reproducible case is most effective in resolving these issues, but I understand it is very hard in these scenarios to recreate the problem on command. So if you can provide some context of what you were doing when it crashed, or like the editor tracking some factor that seems to be consistent with the crash it will be very helpful.
    I tried moving to our "workstation computer" which runs windows 7 x64 with Nvidia Quadro 600 graphics card (funny all of the problem computers in our office run Nvidia...the ATI computers seem fine...possible link?). The ides was to see if there was a difference between 32 and 64 bit systems. Result was a crash in record time. I've attached the dump file for that one too. Hope this helps.

**This was using the same mxd as on my previous post and I was doing similar work.
    Attached Files

Sarah North
    Answers Provided

Crash dump file attached.

I was working on an MXD with many layers loaded (a TIN, Terrains, Rasters, shapefiles, geodatabase feature classes, Esri basemaps), where I had previously been editing (digitizing lines in shapefiles), running various tools to convert from one format to another (e.g., Terrain to Point), and building a TIN, among other things. But when the crash occurred, I was not editing anything. There were no layers turned on. I was reorganizing layers in the TOC -- moving them up/down, creating Groups. The MXD had been getting slower for a while before the crash.

It has been hard to identify a consistent thing that may be triggering the crashes, as they happen a lot. But I think editing is usually a factor in my case -- either I am editing (digitizing river banklines, for example) when the crash occurs, or I am working in an MXD where I was previously editing.

sarah
    Attached Files
    Last edited by snorth; 01-08-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Chris Fox

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by snorth View Post
    Crash dump file attached.

I was working on an MXD with many layers loaded (a TIN, Terrains, Rasters, shapefiles, geodatabase feature classes, Esri basemaps), where I had previously been editing (digitizing lines in shapefiles), running various tools to convert from one format to another (e.g., Terrain to Point), and building a TIN, among other things. But when the crash occurred, I was not editing anything. There were no layers turned on. I was reorganizing layers in the TOC -- moving them up/down, creating Groups. The MXD had been getting slower for a while before the crash.

It has been hard to identify a consistent thing that may be triggering the crashes, as they happen a lot. But I think editing is usually a factor in my case -- either I am editing (digitizing river banklines, for example) when the crash occurs, or I am working in an MXD where I was previously editing.

sarah
    Sarah,

After looking into your error report the crash is occuring in an api we used to create and display many of the user interface elements. I am wondering if you could take some screenshots of your user interface so I can get a sense of what toolbars are displaying, dockable windows are exposed and their positions. This could explain why after resetting your user profile data the problem goes away briefly, because you reset the interface to default. Maybe through this we could start to narrow down and isolate a specific ui element that is causing the crash.
    Chris Fox
    Esri

Chris Fox

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by GIsJoe100 View Post
    I tried moving to our "workstation computer" which runs windows 7 x64 with Nvidia Quadro 600 graphics card (funny all of the problem computers in our office run Nvidia...the ATI computers seem fine...possible link?). The ides was to see if there was a difference between 32 and 64 bit systems. Result was a crash in record time. I've attached the dump file for that one too. Hope this helps.

**This was using the same mxd as on my previous post and I was doing similar work.
    Joe,

Unfortunately the error report does not have enough information to narrow down where the problem is occuring. The Nvidia card could certainly be a factor. I have Nvidia card, different version, but don't experience the same crashing. You might however want to try updating the graphics card driver to see if a bug in the driver may have been resolved.
    Chris Fox
    Esri

Sarah North
    Answers Provided

Chris --

I'd be happy to send some screen shots. Can I send these to you directly, rather than posting them to the forum? I can also send earlier dump files, although I don't have descriptions of exactly what I was doing when each of the earlier crashes occurred.

thanks,
    sarah

Sarah North
    Answers Provided

Joe,

Unfortunately the error report does not have enough information to narrow down where the problem is occuring. The Nvidia card could certainly be a factor. I have Nvidia card, different version, but don't experience the same crashing. You might however want to try updating the graphics card driver to see if a bug in the driver may have been resolved.
    Chris --

Joe and I work in the same office. I had limited crashing today; Joe had lots. He reproduced the crashing on his computer and on our general use "workstation" computer (as he described above). He also tried a colleague's laptop and his own laptop computer -- no crashing. The desktop computers all have NVIDIA cards; the laptops have ATI. There may be other differences, of course, but that one jumps out at us. So far, none of our laptop users have experienced the crashing problem.

I have already upgraded my NVIDIA driver to the one recommended by the NVIDIA website for ArcGIS. Joe has tried several drivers, including the recommended one. No improvements.

Joe did look into getting an ATI card for his desktop computer. The only one that seems to be compatible with both CAD and ArcGIS costs CAD $700-800, so we are not yet sure if we should try the experiment of changing the card.

By the way, I did previously send dump files to Esri Canada tech support, but they weren't able to get any useful information out of them.

sarah

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast