+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to find Nassau County and Suffolk County Legislative Districts Shapefiles

Nanobi _
    Answers Provided

Question Where to find Nassau County and Suffolk County Legislative Districts Shapefiles

I'm having difficulty finding Shapefiles for Nassau and Suffolk County (Long Island, NY) Legislative Districts. While both government sites provide a map (Nassau | Suffolk) of the district boundaries, they do not provide political and/or administrative Shapefiles, similar to the resources provided by NYC.gov. I tried searching the Shapefiles provided by Census.gov, however county-based legislative district files weren't available.

Do you have any suggestions on where I can find these types of Shapefiles?

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by nanobi; 12-03-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Answers Provided

Default Re: Where to find Nassau County and Suffolk County Legislative Districts Shapefiles

Hey Nanobi -

I'm trying to find these files too... did you ever get a hold of them?

Peter Hoffman
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Where to find Nassau County and Suffolk County Legislative Districts Shapefiles

Here is a link to our portal location for Suffolk County Electoral Districts:

http://gisportal.suffolkcountyny.gov...b3c78ba65572c7

We do not have metadata yet.

Nanobi _
    Answers Provided

dyawitz - Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a shapefile for either county.

phoffman35 - I really like your Suffolk County GIS portal.
    I have a large data set. So, I wouldn't be able to use your "Who is my Legislator" search tool to look up all the addresses. Are you able to make your legislative district boundary layer available for download?

Peter Hoffman
    Answers Provided

Try this link and put in legislative as a search word.

https://gisportal.suffolkcountyny.go...tive&t=content

Michael Volz
    Answers Provided

Question Re: Where to find Nassau County and Suffolk County Legislative Districts Shapefiles

Peter:

I see you have Pictometry images accessible through your application. Was this a tool (widget) that you built yourself or did a third-party build this tool for you?

Is there an Owner Search available in your public application?

Peter Hoffman
    Answers Provided

We are using adobe flash as our developing environment, the pictometry viewer that works with our data, I believe we got it from Pictometry.

This viewer has more capabilities under tax map search, pick search by last name:

http://gis2.suffolkcountyny.gov/gisviewer/

Michael Volz
    Answers Provided

Post Re: Where to find Nassau County and Suffolk County Legislative Districts Shapefiles

Thank you Peter.

I just performed a search for a common name Murphy (I could not enter the first name) and it returned over 800 records which is a lot of records to wade through. Have you ever thought of adding the first name to the search, so you do not return as many records? I have worked with the eSearch widget built by Robert Scheitlin and it was fairly easy to create this more targeted search.

Peter Hoffman
    Answers Provided

That is from eSearch. Can you send me relevant code for adding first name?

Michael Volz
    Answers Provided

Post Re: Where to find Nassau County and Suffolk County Legislative Districts Shapefiles

Peter:

Here is the sample eSearchWidget.xml that worked for me:

<expression alias="Owner">
    <values>
    <value prompt="Example: Smith John" isvaluerequired="true">upper(OWN1) LIKE upper('%[value]%') OR upper(OWN2) LIKE upper('%[value]%')</value>
    </values>
    </expression>

The big caveat is the storage format of your data. If you have ownership information in 1 field you could perform this search on the same field twice so if Last Name is the beginning part of this field's value would capture it with the Like and % on the first statement and if the Last Name is the ending part of this field's value would capture it with the Like and % on the second statement.

If your ownership information is in multiple fields that you would just put the appropriate fields in each section of the query. It all depends how your data is stored.

I would also allow the user to input the village/town where they think the owner lives. I would have a list of all villages/towns in Suffolk County and have an empty string as well if the person searching does not know the town.
    Last edited by mvolz47; 03-12-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Peter Hoffman
    Answers Provided

Thanks for the code.
    We do have the first and last name is separate fields so I will look into changing the selection setup.

Michael Volz
    Answers Provided

Can you let me know when that change goes into the production web application as I would like to do some searches with the new criteria, if you make it available?

Peter Hoffman
    Answers Provided

I am on the development side but I can inform you when it is in production.

Peter Hoffman
    Answers Provided

It is now available for First and Last name search.
    The towns, villages will require approval.

Michael Volz
    Answers Provided

Do you have secondary owner information in your tax database? If so, you might want to have your search look for a secondary owner as well as that is how some people might be searching for the property owner. I implemented this strategy in a test application that worked well.

Nanobi _
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by phoffman35 View Post
    Try this link and put in legislative as a search word.

https://gisportal.suffolkcountyny.go...tive&t=content
    I tried both legislative and legislature. The only result was the Legislature Web Application (link) you created. Unfortunately, I didn't see any additional links for a shapefile or other boundary file.

In your original email, you mentioned that you didn't have any metadata available. Were you referring specifically to the shapefile?

Thanks for your assistance.

Peter Hoffman
    Answers Provided

1. Next to Resource center you have to do the dropdown and pick all content, not just web.
    Then you should see the download links. I was referring to shapefile.
    2. I only have the First and last name of the first entry on the property info at this time.

Michael Volz
    Answers Provided

Question Re: Where to find Nassau County and Suffolk County Legislative Districts Shapefiles

Peter:

I am getting a GeocodeServer error when trying to use the Find a Address widget:

"Unable to connect to Locator Service:
    https://gisservices.suffolkcountyny.gov/arcgis/rest/services/CompositeAddressLocator/GeocodeServer"

Any idea what the problem is?

Peter Hoffman
    Answers Provided

Try it now, we changed our geocode server internally.

Michael Volz
    Answers Provided

Peter:

It is working now.

I have some recommendations on your Find a Address widget based on experience with a similar tool in one of my organization's GIS parcel based web app.

Based on how your geocode results are displayed, it looks like your composite geocode service is performing a road centerline geocode search before a parcel geocode search. I would think the parcel geocode search is more important and I would perform that search first.

I entered a legitimate address without city or zip and it returned no results. I would think you would want to get search results even if you do not have the zip as someone searching an address might not have that information.

+ Reply to Thread