+ Reply to Thread

Thread: visibility and range tool

Ayesha .
    Answers Provided

Default visibility and range tool

Hi, My question is ,can we use multiple DEM's as input in visiblity and Range tools? and can we publish script tool on server side ?if anyone can provide help regarding it. and i also want to ask i want to have these tools in ma arcgis flex viewer.....i have publish GPservices of every tool but its not working in the widget.

Bob Booth
    Answers Provided

Default Re: visibility and range tool

Ayesha,

If you put the multiple DEMs into a Mosaic Dataset you can run the Visibility and Range tools on the mosaic and it will use the data from the DEMs.
    Yes, you can publish GP tools as services.
    If you need help, contact Tech Support.

Best,

Bob

Ayesha .
    Answers Provided

i have published geoprocessing tools of visibility and range tools but its giving error of "unable to complete operation" while processing in the widget ...it doesnt show any output....as it shows output in the form of shapefile...i am not geting where the problem is.....

Matt F
    Answers Provided

Hi Ayesha,

There are several tools in the Visibility and Range template which one are you trying to publish as a service? The most recent version includes a set of tools that were designed to be published as geoprocessing services (Visibility Toolset).

Without more detail on the problem (check GP messages, check ArcGIS Server log in Server Manager, etc.) I can make some general suggestions:
    • When publishing, the Analyze tool lists Errors that will stop the tool from being published. But also check any Warnings that appear.
    • Check input datasets and make sure that 1) they are small enough to upload or 2) they are included as part of the ArcGIS Server's Data Store.
    • Make sure that the analysis area (e.g. where the results will be located) is fully within the area of the input datasets. In other words, make sure that the Linear Line Of Sight or Radial Line Of Sight aren't going to fall off your mosaic.
    • Re-run your tool locally and republish it. Sometimes weird stuff just happens during a publish.

This is just a short list of stuff to check out. Best thing is to look through the ArcGIS Server logs in Server Manager and see if anything weird shows up when you try to run the tool.

Matt

Ayesha .
    Answers Provided

thx....but let me clear you ....like i published Radial Line Of Sight Tool model in arcgis 10.1 ...in model i gave input surface as parameter and set "output visiblty" feature class as output i saved it n run.....as radial line of sight works like ordinary buffer tool the only difference is it doesnt take any distance parameter which is by default 1000 in it.....which show very small circle around target i zoomed in to see the generated buffer so i dont think it can create problem because of out of boundry of mosaic data.....My ordinary buffer tool is workin on the same surface but radial line of sight gives error of "unable to perform operation" or esrijobfailed.......please tell me why its not giving output on flex viewer.....please send me code or sample model if you can

Matt F
    Answers Provided

Hi Ayesha,

If you use the Radial Line Of Sight tool the distance from the Observers is set using the Attributes window in Desktop. Probably not something you can do with Flex. The distance attribute is defined by the Feature Set used to create the Observers input parameter. And is therefore part of the schema of Feature Set. To make this tool work as a geoprocessing service it would need to be reworked a bit. Instead...
    If you want to specify a distance from the Observer in a geoprocessing service you need to publish the Fast Visibility By Distance tool. This tool has a Distance parameter on the dialog and not on the Observer's Feature Set schema. It also takes the URL to the elevation surface (as an Image Service). This makes me wonder if the error you are getting is because the Radial Line Of Sight tool is unable to access the surface when published. Are you serving the elevation as an image serivce? Or a mosaic dataset on disk? The Image Service is best in the case where you are working with browser-based applications. Mosaics would work for Desktop applications.

Matt

Ayesha .
    Answers Provided

Hi....Any body can tell me why i am getting error of "esri job failed" in Range fan tool in flex viewer widget when i press submit button after a while error appears "esri job failed"...i have checked the input output parameter names are same in my xml and service .....i have deleted input surface ...just shortened the tool so that it can draw a simple range fan polygon.Now it takes "input centers, Max range,bearing and traversel values as input and gives output of range fan ".it works well in arcdesktop but giving error in my widget.....even i set the "%scratchworkspace%" ....i am not getting why it is still not making fan polygon on flexviewer .....In JSON interface its excuting. i have done range rings and its working in my widget also.....Kindly if anybody can sort out my issue

Matt F
    Answers Provided

Ayesha,

Since it works in Desktop but not in your Flex viewer, you might want to post it onto the Flex viewer forum:

http://forums.arcgis.com/forums/111-ArcGIS-Viewer-for-Flex

Matt

+ Reply to Thread