+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to Display the World Map in Projected Coordinate Systems

Marco Polo
    Answers Provided

Default How to Display the World Map in Projected Coordinate Systems

I am trying to create a simple presentation map and I download the global level country boundaries shapefile from http://www.diva-gis.org/Data. The layer coordinate system is in Geographic Coordinate System: GCS_WGS_1984. Can you please let me know how I can display the map on UTM or any projected coordinate System using ArcMap?

Thanks

Melita Kennedy

Answers Provided

Default Re: How to Display the World Map in Projected Coordinate Systems

In ArcMap, open the data frame property page (right click in the map, or "Layers" in the table of contents). Select the Coordinate System tab. Browse or search (in 10.1) for the projected coordinate system you want to use. Once you okay the selection, it will be set as the data frame/map's coordinate system. Any layers that are in a different coordinate system will be projected on-the-fly to that coordinate system.

Melita
    Melita Kennedy
    Sr. Esri Product Engineer

Marco Polo
    Answers Provided

Hi Melita,
    Thanks for reply but my problem is after selecting a projected cordinate system like UTM which zone must be selected? as I already mentioned I am creating world wide map.

Melita Kennedy

Answers Provided

Ah, I misunderstood. You can't use UTM for a worldwide map. A UTM zone was designed to support 6 degrees of longitude (with a little extra on each side). It's possible to display more, and we allow almost up to 90 degrees wide, but the distortion due to the map projection, transverse Mercator, is considerable. It's just not a good choice for a worldwide map. For display, something like Winkel Tripel (used by National Geographic) or Robinson (used to be used by National Geographic) are better choices.

An 'interrupted' map projection could be Goode Homolosine which comes in land and ocean versions.

All of these are in the World folder under projected coordinate systems.

Melita
    Last edited by mkennedy; 01-04-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added Goode's.
    Melita Kennedy
    Sr. Esri Product Engineer

+ Reply to Thread