+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deauthorizing ArcGIS Server 10

Ottar Viken Valvåg
    Answers Provided

Default Deauthorizing ArcGIS Server 10

How do I deauthorize ArcGIS Server 10, so that I can do a fresh reinstall using the same license? For desktop there's a "Deauthorize" button for this in the ArcGIS Administrator and in the License Manager, which starts the SoftwareAuthorization.exe file with the -return <license code> parameter. I'm guessing (hoping) there's a similar option for Server?

Vipul Bhatia
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Deauthorizing ArcGIS Server 10

When you authorize ArcGIS Server or ecp based file, they get updated in a keycodes file( with no extension) located @
    c:\program files\esri\license\keycodes

You may remove this keycodes file from system after uninstalling arcgis server. This file after changing the extension to .txt can be read in notepad.

Ottar Viken Valvåg
    Answers Provided

Very well, but will I be able to use the same authorization number when reinstalling? Deleting the keycodes file does not notify the authorization server in Redlands that the authorization number is no longer in use, does it?

Vipul Bhatia
    Answers Provided

You can keep a copy of .ecp file , which can be used again for authorization. Otherwise also you should be able to use whichever process you are currently following to authorize again.

Ottar Viken Valvåg
    Answers Provided

I don't understand. Is there an .ecp file involved when authorizing server 10.0? I authorize using the internet, and no files are exchanged that I can see, at least. Where can I find the .ecp file?

I would think that if the authorization server in redlands issues a file to me, this file will be bound to the computer from which I authorized, so it would be no use to me when reinstalling on a separate computer?

Timothy Michalowski
    Answers Provided

I have this same problem.

I uninstall ArcGIS Server 10, but the ECP registration number on my ESRI Customer Care site still says "activated" for this ECP. When I reinstall ArcGIS Server 10, or run the ArcGIS Server 10 post install, and try to register via the internet this ECP is still "activated" and thus the registration/activation fails.

Can someone at ESRI please explain this system? Must we call ESRI to unactivate the ECP everytime we need to reinstall or run the ArcGIS Server Post-Install? If so, thats not an improved licensing system but a step backwards!

Peter Timmers
    Answers Provided

I'm a little unclear on what to do when repairing.

Do you authorize again or not?

I seem to have used up my counters (you look like you can only reauthorize about 2-3 times) trying to repair single server after issues.

Stopped authorizing and it appears my image server extension stopped working.

I thought mac addresses were going to be used for 10. Why can't you authorize unlimited times for same machine?

You also can't modify a provision file can you?
    Last edited by timmerspk; 08-18-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Badrinarayana Lakkur
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by valvag View Post
    I don't understand. Is there an .ecp file involved when authorizing server 10.0? I authorize using the internet, and no files are exchanged that I can see, at least. Where can I find the .ecp file?

I would think that if the authorization server in redlands issues a file to me, this file will be bound to the computer from which I authorized, so it would be no use to me when reinstalling on a separate computer?
    You can find the ecp file here: c:\program files\esri\license10.0\sysgen\keycodes. This keycodes file can be opened in notepad and saved as a .ecp extension as a backup and can be used to reauthorize ArcGIS Server on the same machine. If you need to authorize ArcGIS Server on a different machine, you will need to authorize it against ESRI Customer Service the same way your first machine was initially authorized.

Badrinarayana Lakkur
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by timothy_michalowski View Post
    I have this same problem.

I uninstall ArcGIS Server 10, but the ECP registration number on my ESRI Customer Care site still says "activated" for this ECP. When I reinstall ArcGIS Server 10, or run the ArcGIS Server 10 post install, and try to register via the internet this ECP is still "activated" and thus the registration/activation fails.

Can someone at ESRI please explain this system? Must we call ESRI to unactivate the ECP everytime we need to reinstall or run the ArcGIS Server Post-Install? If so, thats not an improved licensing system but a step backwards!
    ArcGIS Server licenses cannot be deauthorized (deactivated). But you can authorize ArcGIS Server on multiple machines using the ECP information provided in the email sent by Customer Service. Could you email me the error message you're getting when trying to authorize it a second time: blakkur@esri.com

Badrinarayana Lakkur
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by timmerspk View Post
    I'm a little unclear on what to do when repairing.

Do you authorize again or not?

I seem to have used up my counters (you look like you can only reauthorize about 2-3 times) trying to repair single server after issues.

Stopped authorizing and it appears my image server extension stopped working.

I thought mac addresses were going to be used for 10. Why can't you authorize unlimited times for same machine?

You also can't modify a provision file can you?
    For ArcGIS Server and Server related products, they can be authorized multiple times on the same machine, but if you are going to reauthorize on the same machine, save the keycodes file from C:\Program files\esri\license10.0\sysgen as a .ecp file in a backup location. This file can be used to reauthorize Server based products. If you are having trouble reauthorizing via ESRI Customer Service please email me a screenshot of the error message and the ECP number you are using:blakkur@esri.com

cristian sanabria
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by badri7 View Post
    You can find the ecp file here: c:\program files\esri\license10.0\sysgen\keycodes. This keycodes file can be opened in notepad and saved as a .ecp extension as a backup and can be used to reauthorize ArcGIS Server on the same machine. If you need to authorize ArcGIS Server on a different machine, you will need to authorize it against ESRI Customer Service the same way your first machine was initially authorized.
    I have the same problem, I want to deauthorize(deactivate) arcGIS server license
    I have tried removing the file "keycodes" but it seems that it doesn't work because all services(arcGIS, arcSIsSOC, sde) are still running
    I have also checked a way to use SoftwareAuthorization.exe(for server) with -return but nothing happens and there is no any documentation about this.

I have a .ecp file that I use to authorize the arcGISServer but what I need is to deauthorize without uninstall all the server

any help will be appreciated

thanks

Answers Provided

Default Deauthorizing ArcGIS Server 10

I installed ArcGis Desktop 10, the education edition, one year liscence and then I authorized arceditor single user. I seemed to be wrong because Arc editor still is not authorized. I started to google and realized that I should have had authorized arcinfo instead. How can I change this authorization now?

Hu bo
    Answers Provided

Good forum. Thank you for everyone's good idea.

Benjamin Vanzino
    Answers Provided

I am having the same issue.

There does not seem to be any way to deauthorize an incorrectly activated license level for an ArcGIS Server Environment. This is something that has come up for me today.

This is fine for people who have been given thousands of ArcGIS Server activations on the customer care portal but what about extensions?

In an ongoing ESRI licensing related saga -

Our agency purchased an ArcGIS Server interoperability extension and we have exactly 1 authorisation for our currently installed version. This has been used on an older environment. When I came to rebuilding the environment our local ESRI representatives advised me to deauthorize the ArcGIS Server environment before decommissioning??? I could find no way to do this and was forced to press ahead with the replacement.

Result:
    Still impatiently waiting over a month for a replacement to be put up on the customer care portal for us.

I'd say the new licensing system is slightly better in some areas but leaps backwards in others.

+ Reply to Thread