+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 51

Thread: Can't add ArcGIS Server

  1. #1
    Steven Beothy
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Question Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Hi I just downloaded the ArcGIS App from the App Store and when I go to Add ArcGIS Servers type in the address to the mobile location <host>/arcgis/mobile

    I get this error message.

    Any idea why?

    Do we need to use http://<host>/arcgis/mobile?
    My mobile service is running and I can access it from my browser.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	error.JPG‎
Views:	705
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1584  
    Last edited by sbeothy; 07-06-2010 at 10:38 AM.

  2. #2
    Michael Olkin
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    12
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Question Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    I'm having trouble finding any support on this particular topic. We're running ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 & the /arcgis/mobile/ path doesn't exist on our server. I've tried adding our server using /arcgis/rest/services/, but that does not work either. Does this only work with ArcGIS Server 10? Do the services need to be a particular type of service?

  3. #3
    Link Elmore
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    20
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    I'm having the same trouble trying to consume a REST service. Could someone able to load such a service please post the relevant URL so I can compare my formatting?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Igor Reuter
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Angry Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    I'm having the same problem!

  5. #5
    Stephen Gervais
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    I had the same problem. Took me a while browsing the forum to discover the fix: My global account wasn't registered on the ArcGIS website.

    Go here https://www.arcgis.com/home/signin.html? and register the account.

    Good luck!

  6. #6
    Mark Eiseman
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Points
    1
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    I was having that issue...Now I do not get the error but nothing shows up on my server when it connects. Should I be trying to connect to the "arcgis/Mobile" folder or the mobile application? I am running 9.3.1 Server Enterprise Advanced with Mobile Projects installed. Any ideas are welcome.
    Thanks

    mark

  7. #7
    Steven Beothy
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Quote Originally Posted by stephengervais View Post
    I had the same problem. Took me a while browsing the forum to discover the fix: My global account wasn't registered on the ArcGIS website.

    Go here https://www.arcgis.com/home/signin.html? and register the account.

    Good luck!
    I had the same issue when trying to sign into my account.
    But the problem I posted above is not regarding the sign in page but when you go to
    Find Maps > ArcGIS Servers > Add ArcGIS Server
    After I add the connection and the app tries to connect to the server I get the error.

    I'm thinking the Dev team might have to fix it with an update through the app store.

  8. #8
    Jeff Pace
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    905
    Points
    252
    Answers Provided
    38

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    We have the same issue, cant connect to our internal or publicly facing Server services. Where is the documentation for this? And we do not have a /mobile directory, what is "Mobile Projects"?

    thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by meiseman View Post
    I was having that issue...Now I do not get the error but nothing shows up on my server when it connects. Should I be trying to connect to the "arcgis/Mobile" folder or the mobile application? I am running 9.3.1 Server Enterprise Advanced with Mobile Projects installed. Any ideas are welcome.
    Thanks

    mark

  9. #9
    Mark Eiseman
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Points
    1
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Quote Originally Posted by jeff.pace View Post
    We have the same issue, cant connect to our internal or publicly facing Server services. Where is the documentation for this? And we do not have a /mobile directory, what is "Mobile Projects"?

    thanks
    Mobile Projects is the interface in Server Manager for creating mobile application packages. I was not sure if mobile projects were supported by the iPhone app. Data packages and services are posted in the http://<localhost>/arcgis/"mobile" folder in the IIS directory.

    As an update, I cannot get the iPhone app to recognize any of my services on 2 different ArcServers. I have all the different types of services available. Right now, nothing is recognized by my iPhone.

  10. #10
    Jeff Pace
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    905
    Points
    252
    Answers Provided
    38

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Thanks.

    We run the JAVA adf, hopefully that is not a problem. I cant imagine an APPLE app requiring IIS.

    I shot an email to esri, hopefully they respond, if they do I will post here.

    Quote Originally Posted by meiseman View Post
    Mobile Projects is the interface in Server Manager for creating mobile application packages. I was not sure if mobile projects were supported by the iPhone app. Data packages and services are posted in the http://<localhost>/arcgis/"mobile" folder in the IIS directory.

    As an update, I cannot get the iPhone app to recognize any of my services on 2 different ArcServers. I have all the different types of services available. Right now, nothing is recognized by my iPhone.

  11. #11
    Parks Camp
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    20
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Just a guess since I can't find any documentation...but might this only work with services running on ArcGIS 10.

  12. #12
    Jeff Pace
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    905
    Points
    252
    Answers Provided
    38

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Wow that would be a severely limiting, undocumented "feature"

    Quote Originally Posted by parks_camp View Post
    Just a guess since I can't find any documentation...but might this only work with services running on ArcGIS 10.

  13. #13
    Matt Charton
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    36
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    1

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    I too am having absolutely no luck with this and have been scouring the web for any kind of info... but have found nothing at all. I can't believe there is no documentation of any sort out there.

  14. #14
    Chris Roach
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Hi Everyone,

    I'm also having the same problem adding a publicly facing service to the iPhone application. The application just thinks about it for a few seconds and then does nothing. The REST service is visible in the Service Directory and works fine when added as a layer file to ArcGIS.

    I've sent a request to ESRI so hope to have a response/fix soon.

    Chris

  15. #15
    Steven Beothy
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Lightbulb Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    For those of you who would like to view some of your services with ArcGIS for iOS.

    One method for now is to sign into your account with ArcGIS.com then go to Create Map > Add > switch to A GIS Server and type in your REST URL and choose the service you would like to overlay with the ArcGIS Online content. If it's a cached services make sure it's projection matches the ArcGIS online basemap projection and then save your map.

    You should now be able to access your saved map through the iPhone and perform Identifies.

    Remember to link you ESRI Global account as mentioned above.

  16. #16
    Steven Russell Jr.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    12
    Points
    2
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Running into same problem on the iPhone app as everyone else. I can't add an ArcGIS Server with my basemap data either.

    I've tried the sharing option on arcgis.com, and I'm missing something.

    ESRI, please provide some documentation on adding an ArcGIS Server to the iPhone app.

  17. #17
    Nimesh Jarecha

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    883
    Points
    493
    Answers Provided
    106

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    The option to Add ArcGIS Server in app is to connect to contents of “Mobile Project Center”.

    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobi...0000004000000/

    To access your service, you should add the service to a map on ArcGIS.com and save it to your account. Once you do that then log into arcgis.com (with the same account) on the iPhone (under "Find Maps") and browse "My Maps." The map will be there and you will be able to open it.

    Regards,
    Nimesh

  18. #18
    Mark Eiseman
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4
    Points
    1
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Quote Originally Posted by nrjarecha View Post
    The option to Add ArcGIS Server in app is to connect to contents of “Mobile Project Center”.

    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobi...0000004000000/

    To access your service, you should add the service to a map on ArcGIS.com and save it to your account. Once you do that then log into arcgis.com (with the same account) on the iPhone (under "Find Maps") and browse "My Maps." The map will be there and you will be able to open it.

    Regards,
    Nimesh
    Well the link provided points to ArcGIS 10.0 documentation. I think that Jeff was right in that this is a very inconvenient undocumented "feature" for us 9.3.1 folk.

    I am still not getting anywhere with this. Anyone that receives info from ESRI on this, please post for us all. If I do not get an answer today or tomorrow, I will be bring it up at the UC.

    Cheers,

    Mark

  19. #19
    Chinmaya Lewis
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Cool Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Same problem. Can't successfully connect to our AGS maps. Would prefer to connect directly and not through Arcgis.com

    Glad to see ArcGIS on my iphone

  20. #20
    Jeff Shaner
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    24
    Points
    4
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    All,

    The ArcGIS Server connection is to an ArcGIS 10 content server that is hosting maps in the same fashion as arcgis.com does. It is not simply a connection to your web server and map services.

    We have placed a document onto the resource center regarding how to add this content manually now if you have a 10 server. We are also working on a Javascript web application that we will upload to the code gallery soon that has a very similar publishing experience to arcgis.com.

    Document link from the RC:
    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobi...Guide/Maps.pdf

    Thanks,

    Jeff

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    So, there is no access to existing services via iOS that are hosted internally (not via ArcGIS Online) on a 9.3 server?

  22. #22
    Greg Knight
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    54
    Points
    11
    Answers Provided
    2

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Quote Originally Posted by linkelmore View Post
    So, there is no access to existing services via iOS that are hosted internally (not via ArcGIS Online) on a 9.3 server?
    I don't know how or why, but I was able to create a map using one of the Arcgis online base maps and my own 9.x operational layer, save it to my content on ags online, and view on my iPad with the esri ios app... So it does seem possible.

  23. #23
    Chris Roach
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Quote Originally Posted by sbeothy View Post
    Hi I just downloaded the ArcGIS App from the App Store and when I go to Add ArcGIS Servers type in the address to the mobile location <host>/arcgis/mobile

    I get this error message.

    Any idea why?

    Do we need to use http://<host>/arcgis/mobile?
    My mobile service is running and I can access it from my browser.
    Hi Steven,

    After following Jeff's help document (and using ArcGIS Server 10) I am now getting the same error message as you originally posted. It comes up when I use the http:// path, and nothing happens at all when I do not include this in the <host>/arcgis/mobile pathname.

    The error message is exactly the same apart from the value for UserInfo=0x2af850.

    As with others, we would prefer to use a local content server.

    Can anyone help decipher this error message?

    Chris

  24. #24
    Chris Roach
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    4
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs View Post
    All,

    The ArcGIS Server connection is to an ArcGIS 10 content server that is hosting maps in the same fashion as arcgis.com does. It is not simply a connection to your web server and map services.

    We have placed a document onto the resource center regarding how to add this content manually now if you have a 10 server. We are also working on a Javascript web application that we will upload to the code gallery soon that has a very similar publishing experience to arcgis.com.

    Document link from the RC:
    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobi...Guide/Maps.pdf

    Thanks,

    Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

    I have followed the steps in your document and am up to Step 2 on the section "Connecting to your ArcGIS Server," but when I press 'Done' on our iPad neither of the two maps I have published come up.

    Everything has worked up until then - ArcGIS Server 10 is installed and I have added two items with validated JSON code to the MobileWeb page. A message came up on the page to say "Success: true."

    The only step that didn't come up was the "Entering Content Server Credentials"; which I suspect is because we have Windows Integrated Authentication turned on as you note in the document.

    Can you think of why I can see the services in the REST Services Directory on the iPad (using Safari), but not the maps on the iPad ArcGIS application?

    regards
    Chris

  25. #25
    Jeff Shaner
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    24
    Points
    4
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Chris is it possible for you to email me about this so we can diagnose the problem?

    We have a test server you can try to connect to- arcgismobile.esri.com. Can you connect to it?

    My email is jshaner@esri.com

    Thanks

    Jeff

  26. #26
    Jeff Shaner
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    24
    Points
    4
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Quote Originally Posted by meiseman View Post
    Well the link provided points to ArcGIS 10.0 documentation. I think that Jeff was right in that this is a very inconvenient undocumented "feature" for us 9.3.1 folk.

    I am still not getting anywhere with this. Anyone that receives info from ESRI on this, please post for us all. If I do not get an answer today or tomorrow, I will be bring it up at the UC.

    Cheers,

    Mark
    This may already be on the thread but you can create a web map in arcgis.com that contains your own on premise map service layers and share them in a private group. The map services can be 9.3.

    We are also looking at the ability to connect to your services directory from the ArcGIS Server folder. It would create a new web map on the iOS client that you can save into your favorites on the device. Is this what you are looking for specifically?

    Our apologies for the confusion this has caused.

    Jeff

  27. #27
    Christopher Ringewald
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    I succeeded in following Jeff’s instructions, but after connecting my server and tapping on it to view my maps (pg. 6-7), I receive the following error message:

    Connection Failed
    Error loading maps:

    Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain
    Code=-1003 UserInfo=0x2b9160
    “can’t find host”

    The server I connected to currently connects (successfully) to My Content on arcgis.com, so I must be doing something wrong here. Any tips?

    Thanks,
    Chris

  28. #28
    Christopher Ringewald
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    I was unable to connect to my server, but a work around is to save maps in arcgis explorer online and open them in the iphone app. (Sign in to your global account, find maps, my maps).

    Quote Originally Posted by HCchris View Post
    I succeeded in following Jeff’s instructions, but after connecting my server and tapping on it to view my maps (pg. 6-7), I receive the following error message:

    Connection Failed
    Error loading maps:

    Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain
    Code=-1003 UserInfo=0x2b9160
    “can’t find host”

    The server I connected to currently connects (successfully) to My Content on arcgis.com, so I must be doing something wrong here. Any tips?

    Thanks,
    Chris

  29. #29
    Great River
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Question Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Hi all,

    Hoping you will be able to help me out. I have created a map on arcgis.com. I can add my operational layers map service and it looks great. Then I go to my iPad and I browse to my map and try to load it. The ESRI basemap service loads just fine but I don't see my operational layers (my service from my ArcGIS Server 10) at all. Why doesn't it show up? something with how my server is configured? Not public data somehow?

    Also, I tried browsing to my rest services directory in safari, and it won't load it. I am confused because I have my server name which is accessable inside my company. Then I have the outside IP address of the server. I tried it both ways. When I tried the server name, I get "Cannot open page. Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found". Ok, so I then tried the outside server IP address. And that's when I get "Cannot open page. Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding." Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance,

    Andrea B
    GIS Analyst

  30. #30
    Andrea B, GISP
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    360
    Points
    7
    Answers Provided
    3

    Question Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs View Post
    All,

    The ArcGIS Server connection is to an ArcGIS 10 content server that is hosting maps in the same fashion as arcgis.com does. It is not simply a connection to your web server and map services.

    We have placed a document onto the resource center regarding how to add this content manually now if you have a 10 server. We are also working on a Javascript web application that we will upload to the code gallery soon that has a very similar publishing experience to arcgis.com.

    Document link from the RC:
    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobi...Guide/Maps.pdf

    Thanks,

    Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

    I'm trying to use the instructions in that PDF. I get to the end where it says "#3 After pressing done the server connection will appear and you can tap on the server connection to access the maps and folders that you have uploaded." It keeps asking me to sign in to ESRI. And when I sign in, it doesn't take my user name and password and just keeps asking me to sign in.

    How can I get to my maps? And also, why is it asking me to sign in to ESRI when I'm trying to get to the map on my server?
    Andrea B, GISP
    GIS Coordinator

  31. #31
    Aaron Mielke
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13
    Points
    1
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatriver View Post
    Hi all,

    Hoping you will be able to help me out. I have created a map on arcgis.com. I can add my operational layers map service and it looks great. Then I go to my iPad and I browse to my map and try to load it. The ESRI basemap service loads just fine but I don't see my operational layers (my service from my ArcGIS Server 10) at all. Why doesn't it show up? something with how my server is configured? Not public data somehow?

    Also, I tried browsing to my rest services directory in safari, and it won't load it. I am confused because I have my server name which is accessable inside my company. Then I have the outside IP address of the server. I tried it both ways. When I tried the server name, I get "Cannot open page. Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found". Ok, so I then tried the outside server IP address. And that's when I get "Cannot open page. Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding." Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance,

    Andrea B
    GIS Analyst
    I am running into the same problem. I created a map service in ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 showing wind turbine locations. I add the service to my map on ArcGIS Online and it looks great. I save the map and share it with Everyone (public). Then I go to my Ipad and log in to my ArcGIS online account. Then I go to "Find Maps" and click "My Maps". I can see my maps, but when I load it, only the World Topographic Map shows up. The data from my map services does not. Does it have something to do with security? Can it be a secure service?

    Aaron

  32. #32
    Aaron Mielke
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13
    Points
    1
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    ESRI, you are driving people crazy. Can't someone tell us if services created using ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 can be consumed using Ipads? If so, how? Why is there no documentation?

    Aaron

  33. #33
    Andrea B, GISP
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    360
    Points
    7
    Answers Provided
    3

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Aaron,

    One of the issues for me, that I'm still working on with Tech support, is the authentication on IIS on the services, mobile, and rest folders. I can get the map to show up on iPhone with the arcgis.com map. But not with the connection to my server. Still working on it. (I'm using Arc10).

    BTW, were you the guy with that same name in my GIS class at UWMad? small world, if so :-)
    Andrea B, GISP
    GIS Coordinator

  34. #34
    Aaron Mielke
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    13
    Points
    1
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Andrea,
    Yes, I am the guy from UW. That is crazy. Hopefully I am able to figure this out. I am upgrading to ArcGIS 10 in January and am expecting to be able to load map services onto Ipads for our field staff. I was just hoping it would work with 9.3.1.

    Aaron

  35. #35
    Trina Nair
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    15
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Smile Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffs View Post
    All,

    The ArcGIS Server connection is to an ArcGIS 10 content server that is hosting maps in the same fashion as arcgis.com does. It is not simply a connection to your web server and map services.

    We have placed a document onto the resource center regarding how to add this content manually now if you have a 10 server. We are also working on a Javascript web application that we will upload to the code gallery soon that has a very similar publishing experience to arcgis.com.

    Document link from the RC:
    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobi...Guide/Maps.pdf

    Thanks,

    Jeff
    Jeff,

    Do I need ArcGIS Server Advanced to create mobile content for an iPhone, iPad, or iTouch? Could I use Standard Edition and create services in the services directory (REST) and use Xcode for example to access the different services?

    Thanks, Trina

  36. #36
    Steve Lettau
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    21
    Points
    1
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Quote Originally Posted by Greatriver View Post
    Hi all,

    Hoping you will be able to help me out. I have created a map on arcgis.com. I can add my operational layers map service and it looks great. Then I go to my iPad and I browse to my map and try to load it. The ESRI basemap service loads just fine but I don't see my operational layers (my service from my ArcGIS Server 10) at all. Why doesn't it show up? something with how my server is configured? Not public data somehow?

    Also, I tried browsing to my rest services directory in safari, and it won't load it. I am confused because I have my server name which is accessable inside my company. Then I have the outside IP address of the server. I tried it both ways. When I tried the server name, I get "Cannot open page. Safari cannot open the page because the server cannot be found". Ok, so I then tried the outside server IP address. And that's when I get "Cannot open page. Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding." Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    Thanks in advance,

    Andrea B
    GIS Analyst
    Did you ever get this resolved? I'm experiencing the identical issue. Steve

  37. #37
    Steven Beothy
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    7
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Sounds like your server isn't accessible outside of your works domain.
    If you try to connect to your rest services directory outside of your work and you can't see anything then don't expect arcgis.com to be able to read your map services.

    are you using a fully qualified domain name with no luck?
    http://servername.mywork.com/arcgis/rest/services ??
    or the ip address
    http://111.111.111/arcgis/rest/services

    This might also help.
    Do you have a cross domain policy file in your C:\inetPub\wwwroot directory?

    You can use esri sample xml file if you don't have one.

    http://server.arcgisonline.com/crossdomain.xml

    For some of other questions above, yes you can consume 9.3 services using the iPhone app
    You first need to create a map on arcgis.com with one of your services as the operational layer and log into your arcgis.com account in the app and load up the saved map.

  38. #38
    Steve Lettau
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    21
    Points
    1
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    To elaborate on my post, I can create a map in Arcgis.com and see my operational layers from my ArcGIS Server service fine. What happens is when I attempt to view the map on my iPhone using ArcGIS, I see only the base map layer. I've also confirmed when I hit Arcgis.com on a PC away from my work network, Arcgis.com works fine. My operational layers just don't seem to work in iOS.

    What's interesting is when we were on 9.3.1, this wasn't an issue, we could see our operational layers (using the exact same service) in iOS. When we upgraded to AGS 10 is when we couldn't see our layers anymore.

    Couple other things, we've confirmed the /arcgis/rest/services directory is available to the Internet. Also when I view the thumbnail on my iPhone under My Maps, I see the operational layers. When I open the map, however, they are not there. I seem to be having the same problem as Andrea B and I've tried messing with folder permissions but still no luck.

    Steve

  39. #39
    Andrea B, GISP
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    360
    Points
    7
    Answers Provided
    3

    Smile Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Quote Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
    To elaborate on my post, I can create a map in Arcgis.com and see my operational layers from my ArcGIS Server service fine. What happens is when I attempt to view the map on my iPhone using ArcGIS, I see only the base map layer. I've also confirmed when I hit Arcgis.com on a PC away from my work network, Arcgis.com works fine. My operational layers just don't seem to work in iOS.

    What's interesting is when we were on 9.3.1, this wasn't an issue, we could see our operational layers (using the exact same service) in iOS. When we upgraded to AGS 10 is when we couldn't see our layers anymore.

    Couple other things, we've confirmed the /arcgis/rest/services directory is available to the Internet. Also when I view the thumbnail on my iPhone under My Maps, I see the operational layers. When I open the map, however, they are not there. I seem to be having the same problem as Andrea B and I've tried messing with folder permissions but still no luck.

    Steve
    ooh, man this was from a while ago. But I seem to remember having to work with ESRI tech support. And the guy made some changes to the IIS authentication on the Default Website - ArcGIS - mobile folder. Mine is now set to Anonymous and Windows authentication enabled. I think that's what did it. Sorry, otherwise you'll just have to call them and suffer through, lol.
    Andrea B, GISP
    GIS Coordinator

  40. #40
    Steve Lettau
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    21
    Points
    1
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Andrea, to close the loop, I figured it out. Turns out it was something with our office network configuration. When I left the office and tried again, it worked. I determined my operational layers only didn't display when my iPhone was connected to our internal office network via wifi (i.e. the same network the AGS server is on). If I disable wifi while in the office or connected elsewhere, no problem. Not sure if my configuration is similar to others, but that's what it was.

    Steve

  41. #41
    Andrea B, GISP
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    360
    Points
    7
    Answers Provided
    3

    Thumbs up Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Yup, now that you mention it, that was another problem we had. Glad you got it figured out.
    Andrea B, GISP
    GIS Coordinator

  42. #42
    DORIS UA
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    22
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Hi all,

    a lot of discussion about the problems to connect to ArcGIS Server with iPhone or iPad last months - is there any solution now? What are the requirements to connect to ArcGIS Server without create a map in Arcgis.com. I tried out several ArcGIS Servers (our own and also ESRI ArcGIS Sampleservers) without success on iPhone and iPad but working fine with ArcGIS Desktop, JavaScript API and ArcExplorer Online.

    Is someone here from the ESRI-Experts who can explain if services created using ArcGIS Server 9 or 10 can be used with the ArcGIS-App on iPhone and iPads? Where is the documentation!

    Tom

  43. #43
    Nimesh Jarecha

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    883
    Points
    493
    Answers Provided
    106

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Hi Tom,

    You can view the web maps published in Content Server (installed with ArcGIS Server 10) with ArcGIS application for iPhone and iPad. The published web map under content server can have services published with ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 or 10.

    You can access content server in browser with URL
    http://<server--‐name>/<arcgis--‐instance>/mobile/content (i.e. http://servername/arcgis/mobile/content). In order to access the web maps of your content server in ArcGIS application of iOS devices you need to enter <server-name>/<instance-name>/mobile in the option to Add ArcGIS Server. For example, enter arcgismobile.esri.com/arcgis/mobile

    The documentation is available here.

    Please use following "Example JSON structure" instead of available example in the document. The available example JSON in document has extra ">" at the end of the URL.

    Example JSON structure:

    {
    "version":"1.1",
    "operationalLayers":[
    {
    "url":"http://events.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Gulf_Coast_ESI/MapServer",
    "visibility":true,
    "opacity":0.75,
    "title":"Environmental Sensitivity"
    },
    {
    "url":"http://events.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Gulf_Coast_Oil_Spill_Forecast/MapServer",
    "visibility":true,
    "opacity":1,
    "title":"Oil Spill Forecast"
    }
    ],
    "baseMap":{
    "baseMapLayers":[
    {
    "url":"http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer"
    }
    ],
    "title":"Topography"
    }
    }

    Please let me know if you have any questions.

    Hope this helps!

    Regards,
    Nimesh

  44. #44
    DORIS UA
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    22
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Thank you Nimesh.
    This was the information needed to know about the backgrounds for publishing web maps with ArcGIS Server for iPhone and iPad.

    Thanks,
    Tom

    Quote Originally Posted by nrjarecha View Post
    Hi Tom,

    You can view the web maps published in Content Server (installed with ArcGIS Server 10) with ArcGIS application for iPhone and iPad. The published web map under content server can have services published with ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 or 10.

    You can access content server in browser with URL
    http://<server--‐name>/<arcgis--‐instance>/mobile/content (i.e. http://servername/arcgis/mobile/content). In order to access the web maps of your content server in ArcGIS application of iOS devices you need to enter <server-name>/<instance-name>/mobile in the option to Add ArcGIS Server. For example, enter arcgismobile.esri.com/arcgis/mobile

    The documentation is available here.

    Please use following "Example JSON structure" instead of available example in the document. The available example JSON in document has extra ">" at the end of the URL.

    Example JSON structure:

    {
    "version":"1.1",
    "operationalLayers":[
    {
    "url":"http://events.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Gulf_Coast_ESI/MapServer",
    "visibility":true,
    "opacity":0.75,
    "title":"Environmental Sensitivity"
    },
    {
    "url":"http://events.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Gulf_Coast_Oil_Spill_Forecast/MapServer",
    "visibility":true,
    "opacity":1,
    "title":"Oil Spill Forecast"
    }
    ],
    "baseMap":{
    "baseMapLayers":[
    {
    "url":"http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer"
    }
    ],
    "title":"Topography"
    }
    }

    Please let me know if you have any questions.

    Hope this helps!

    Regards,
    Nimesh

  45. #45
    Aaron Greiner
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Nimesh,
    Using the instructions and this JSON code, I've been able to create and connect to my web service in the iOS application. However, the application does not show anything in the map window, I cannot see the map from the service. Am I missing some step in the process or is there something I need to do to the service to make it accessible to the application?
    Thanks


    Quote Originally Posted by nrjarecha View Post
    Hi Tom,

    You can view the web maps published in Content Server (installed with ArcGIS Server 10) with ArcGIS application for iPhone and iPad. The published web map under content server can have services published with ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 or 10.

    You can access content server in browser with URL
    http://<server--‐name>/<arcgis--‐instance>/mobile/content (i.e. http://servername/arcgis/mobile/content). In order to access the web maps of your content server in ArcGIS application of iOS devices you need to enter <server-name>/<instance-name>/mobile in the option to Add ArcGIS Server. For example, enter arcgismobile.esri.com/arcgis/mobile

    The documentation is available here.

    Please use following "Example JSON structure" instead of available example in the document. The available example JSON in document has extra ">" at the end of the URL.

    Example JSON structure:

    {
    "version":"1.1",
    "operationalLayers":[
    {
    "url":"http://events.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Gulf_Coast_ESI/MapServer",
    "visibility":true,
    "opacity":0.75,
    "title":"Environmental Sensitivity"
    },
    {
    "url":"http://events.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Gulf_Coast_Oil_Spill_Forecast/MapServer",
    "visibility":true,
    "opacity":1,
    "title":"Oil Spill Forecast"
    }
    ],
    "baseMap":{
    "baseMapLayers":[
    {
    "url":"http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer"
    }
    ],
    "title":"Topography"
    }
    }

    Please let me know if you have any questions.

    Hope this helps!

    Regards,
    Nimesh
    __________________________
    Aaron M. Greiner, GISP
    GIS Analyst
    City of Des Moines

  46. #46
    Alonso Ortiz Amador
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Lightbulb Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Hi to All, i find not the best way to solve the problem to see My ArcGIS Server Services in Ipad.

    The way it is, is deploy an aplication using ArcGI JavaScript API, for example enter to your server REST services, and clic on the service on the TOP to ArcGIS JavaScript link. Also you can test any ArcGIS Sample for ArcGIS API JavaScript or clic right button, view sorce code to enhance the app.

    It will open i think in any device, including SmarthPhones, IPAD, Iphone, Internet Explorer, Safari, i have alreadi tested than on Safari, Internet Explorer, Safari on Mac, Safari on Ipad and it works so the workarount that is develop ArcGIS API Javascripts app.

    I use ArcGIS Server 9.3.1 SP, Windows 2008 Server R2, ArcGIS API JavaScript 2.2 (it looks like in some versions of the API below it not works on Touch Devices).

    Hope that Helps you all.

  47. #47
    Mellissa Lasslo
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    23
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    I'm having trouble getting more than one operational layer to show up. Any ideas on the syntax?

  48. #48
    Russ Roberts

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    819
    Points
    185
    Answers Provided
    36

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Could you post up a sample of the JSON you are using within your mobile content server?
    Thanks
    Russ

  49. #49
    Mellissa Lasslo
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    23
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    {
    "version":"1.1",
    "operationalLayers":[
    {
    "url":"http://ims.carbon.utah.gov/agserver/rest/services/LatLong/MapServer/2",
    "visibility":true,
    "opacity":0.75,
    "title":"Gas Wells"
    },
    {
    "url":"http://ims.carbon.utah.gov/agserver/rest/services/LatLong/MapServer/13",
    "visibility":true,
    "opacity":1,
    "title":"cities"
    }
    ],
    "baseMap":{
    "baseMapLayers":[
    {
    "url":"http://ims.carbon.utah.gov/agserver/rest/services/IMS_BaseMap_Streetl10/MapServer"
    }
    ],
    "title":"Topography"
    }
    }

  50. #50
    Mellissa Lasslo
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    23
    Points
    0
    Answers Provided
    0

    Default Re: Can't add ArcGIS Server

    Nevermind...I feel silly...I wasn't able to see the gas wells because the point was too small. Thanks anyways

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts