+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Problem with ArcMap 10 hanging

jayme peltz
    Answers Provided

Default Problem with ArcMap 10 hanging

I have just installed ArcGIS 10 desktop on windows 7 operating system.
    ArcCatalog works fine but ArcMap just hangs. I have tried a repair and reinstall but still have the same issues.
    Any Ideas?

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Default Re: Problem with ArcMap 10 hanging

Having the same problem but on WinXP sp3. Verified the production (10.0.0.2414) ArcGIS 10 Desktop .iso download and a correct image burn.

An ArcInfo level installation goes fine. License server behaves and I'm able to launch ArcCatalog, ArcScene, ArcGlobe, and even Arc. But when I launch ArcMap it hangs. The ESRIErrorReporter pops up "ArcGIS Desktop has encountered a serious application error and in unable to continue"

Same results on a P4 system with 2GB ram cleaned of ArcGIS 9.3.1, and again on a bare metal install on a P4 system with 4GB ram.

I have an open incident (#828092) with ESRI tech support and have directly ftp'd them the dump files.

Should be interesting to see what the problem is but can't do any further deployments until this gets fixed but guess I could try it on a Windows 7 system.

V Stuart Foote
    Systems Analyst, ESRI Primary Contact
    The University of Texas at San Antonio

Daniel Reger
    Answers Provided

I have the same problem. I can open ArcMap and it works fine but when I m not using it for a while (about 1 minute) and leave it in the toolbar it hangs and I have to close the program via task manager.
    Has anyone a solution? or the same problem?
    If this problem continues I ll have to reinstall version 9.3.1.

System: XP SP3, Dual Core, 4GB

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

In my case, a misconfiguration of the FME Safe Software ArcGIS 10 Data Interoperability extension was causing ArcMap to hang. Uninstall of the ArcGIS 10 Data Interoperability extension has cleared the problem and ArcMap 10 is functioning as expected.

ESRI Tech support is looking at the problem with Data Interoperability and ArcMap to try to figure out how to get the extension fixed.

Not too surprising as unclear how much testing the Data Interoperability would have received during ArcGIS 9.4 beta and ArcGIS 10 pre-release stages.

If ArcMap is hanging and you have ArcGIS 10 Data Interoperability extension installed, try uninstalling it to see if that clears things up.

Stuart Foote
    UT San Antonio

jayme peltz
    Answers Provided

I ended up doing a complete rebuild of my whole computer reinstalled ArcGIS 10 and now it works fine

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Curious Jayme,

Do you remember had you installed the Data Interoperability extension (offered on the install panel) when you first did the installation? And did you skip it on the rebuild load?

Stuart Foote
    UT San Antonio

jayme peltz
    Answers Provided

Hi Stuart,
    I didn't install the Data Interoperability extension on the first install but when ArcMap did not work I did a complete uninstall and then reinstalled with the Data Interoperability extension which didn't fix the problem.
    After the complete rebuild I installed the Data Interoperability extension on the first install and it worked fine.

Jayme

Daniel Reger
    Answers Provided

I found out where the problem was...
    As an extension I had XTools Pro Version 7.0 installed. Since I unchecked the XTools button under extensions and removed it in the toolbars options the problems are gone! Seems that there is a problem with XTools 7 - hope they gonna fix the problem soon....

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Default OpenGL 2.0 non-compliant hardware causing problem with ArcMap 10 hanging

Folks,

Not sure it relates to the XTools Pro extension toolbar issue, but at ArcGIS 10 there are definite OpenGL 2.0 dependencies that will cause ArcMAP to crash if not resolved. We found this out when installing ArcGIS 10 on PCs with Intel 865G graphics processors GPUs that are not fully OpenGL 2.0 compliant. Even with the latest Intel drivers the 865G GPU is only fully OpenGL 1.3 compliant, with partial support of the OpenGL 1.5 spec--and these systems run ArcGIS 9.3.1 flawlessly!

The crazy thing is that it was not an ESRI ArcMAP component but rather installation of the Data Interoperability FME extension from Safe Software that caused the ArcMAP crashes. We suspect just some component of the Data Interoperability extension is dependent on an OpenGL process greater than the OpenGL 1.3 spec causing ArcMAP to crash on launch. A process log review showed an ArcMAP call to "EnableHardwareAcceleratedBlending" that set things awry. Remove the extension and ArcMAP launches fine. Perhaps the XTools ProExtension made unsupported OpenGL calls.

There may be additional subtle OpenGL dependencies but ArcMAP, ArcGlobe, ArcScene, 3D Analyst otherwise ran without issue.

We figure these PCs still have lots of useful service left (3.2 Ghz P4s w/4GB ram) so I'm going to just spend about $35 on each to add an OpenGL 2.1 compliant AGP 4.x/8.x graphics card. The alternative is to not install the Data Interoperability extension--but as we've licensed it we have to support it (or students/faculty will complain).

For your sanity--double check the OpenGL compliance and try updating graphics drivers before proceeding with installation. A very useful freeware tool for validating OpenGL capabilities is available from RealtechVR at http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html where the current release of the OpenGL Extensions Viewer is ver 3.3

For those interested ESRI support incident was 828092 and NIM059030.

Stuart

=-=-=
    V Stuart Foote
    ESRI Primary Contact
    Systems Analyst
    College of Sciences

Bonnie Pryor
    Answers Provided

ArcMap 10 opens fine, works for awhile, then hangs on some mundane task, like zooming in, or turning off a layer and I have to shut down with task manager.

I've tried uninstalling, re-installing.

I am not running Xtools, don't have the data interoperability extension and am Open GL 2.0 compliant according to OpenGL extensions viewer 3.30 suggested earlier in this thread.

I am running 3D analyst and Spatial Analyst extensions and have the Vista Business operating system.

ArcMap 10 works fine on my XP machine, so I'm feeling pretty down on Vista Business right now. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bonnie

Philipp Svehla
    Answers Provided

Hi everyone,

Here at Safe we're working to reproduce the problem to see if it is Data Interop related. At the current time it looks like it is happening on a variety of machine configurations, including those without the Data Interop installed.

Kind Regards,
    Philipp Svehla

Safe Software Inc.
    support@safe.com

Jason Lyon
    Answers Provided

Question Re: Problem with ArcMap 10 hanging

same issues here just doing the mundane task and ArcMap hangs and when you open up Task Manager, it hangs at 50% and does not move even after a few minutes of waiting.
    Nothing special open on my end and it typically occurs during editing or zooming with raster background.
    Also Arc10 has just crashed several times the last few days with no notice.

Glenn Kammerer
    Answers Provided

I just wanted to jump on board as another user with hang problems. I'm using ArcView 10.0 with Windows XP SP3. The most common activity that seems to cause hangs for me is adding data to my map. Happens nearly every single time. I've also noticed that once it happens that the geodatabase that contained the Feature Class I was trying to add is rendered useless. I can never ever after that add a layer from that geodatabase. If I go into ArcCatalog and create a new geodatabase and import all of the data from the unusable geodatabase, then everything works fine with the new geodatabase - until Arc hangs. Rinse and repeat.

I love most of the new features with Arc 10, and the two betas and prerelease I had no problems with. But this is downright unusable.

Astrid Lichtenberger
    Answers Provided

Cool Re: Problem with ArcMap 10 hanging

I have ArcGIS 10 installed now for 3 days.
    Windows XP SP3, ArcGIS 10 installed,no Data Interoperability, Xtools 7, Geotools 10, Geowizard 10
    ArcGIS hangs on different situations. Move Text on Layout, Change Size of Dataframe on Layout, Zomm in or Zoom out in Dataview etc.

I have decided to deinstall Xtoools 7. Started ArcGIS 10 again, for now it seems to be stabil.
    I will keep it under review for the next test.

I hope the Xtools will be updated soon, its such a nice software product.
    Astrid

Rachel B
    Answers Provided

I had the same problem after I installed X Tools 7, ArcMap would crash everytime I opened it and tried to add data.
    I contacted them and they sent me out a Post Release version which I've installed and seems to have sorted out the problem.

Perhaps you should contact them for this.

Regards

Rachel

Daniel Reger
    Answers Provided

Hey guys,

just to let you know... I got the Post Release from the XTools Pro forum as well installed it and now everything seems to be stable. No crashes of ArcMap since about 3 hours...

Roland Duhaime
    Answers Provided

I am running ArcMap 10 on Windows 7 inside of Parallels on a MacBook Pro. ArcMap 10 hangs during startup. Splash screen states: Initializing Application... and stops responding. If I click on the splash screen the software crashes and prompts me to send a message to find a solution. I assume this error is sent to Microsoft. No solution is found at this time. Uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't appear to help. I am not running XTools and I don't believe I have installed the Data Interoperability Extension... even though the license manager indicates I have. ArcCatalog 10 does run fine. ArcMap did work several weeks ago on this computer.

I am running ArcGIS 10 on an XP machine as well and ArcMap 10 runs fine on that system.

I hope this information is helpful to others.

Thanks,
    Roland

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Roland,

Check the OpenGL compliance on your Win7 install using RealtechVR's OpenGL Extensions Viewer
    http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/download.html and update the GPU drivers if you aren't reaching OpenGL 2.0 or greater compliance under Parallels on your MacBook Pro. Try thart first!

If that is not the problem, you will need to capture the process states while ArcMap launches and dumps. The best tool I've used for this is the Russinovich and Cogswell Sysinternals "Process Monitor" utility available on the Microsoft Technet site at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896645.aspx The current version is v2.91

When downloaded, Process Monitor (PM) does not have to be installed, but it works best to just create a local directory to copy the executable and help files into and as the default location to to save the logs. UAC will prompt for Administrators credential.

PM will track EVERYTHING happening on the system, so the log files get very large very fast. You need to run PM immediately before launching ArcMap then save the log (from the Menu bar)as soon as ArcMap shows the Error Report panel. When saved the default name is "logfile.PML" and it is put in the folder where PM was launched. You can immediately open this new log file (from the Menu bar) or can exit PM, that will end the active logging. If you exit, just double click the log file to open it in PM.

You can go ahead and kill the hung ArcMap program from Windows Task Manager and just work with the .PML log in PM.

The .PML log is a little confusing and will have thousands of lines, but you can highlight the ArcMap processes to help you scan through the log. You'll need to locate the start of the ArcMap debug dump several thousand lines into the log, so search for the string "dbghelp.dll" in the log.

Work backward from there to see if you can identify which component is starting the error--with my deficient OpenGL error it was a call to "EnableHardwareAcceleratedBlending" followed by a Windows Services HAL listing and ArcMAP calls against the GPU driver. The last ArcMap action before initiating the dump was to a SID/GID of
    {EB16E597-B4F7-11D0-865F-0000F8751720} equating to commands of either "esriDisplay.DisplayTransformation"
    or "esriDisplay.cancelTracker" as found by a registry search.

With Data Interoperability not installed the "EnableHardwareAcceleratedBlending" call is not made when launching ArcMap. And changing the video card to an OpenGL 2.0 compliant GPU resolved my issues and allowed me use of Data Interoperability (and I suspect some additional ArcMap raster display functions beyond program launch that some folks are reporting hangs during ArcMap use).

You are liable to have a differnt error, but the key is to locate the "dbghelp.dll" call and work backward from there. And as above you'll need to identify which call(s) caused the problem--and must equate the call(s) back to its ArcMAP function by searching the registry. As always be carefull opening and working in the registry.

Good luck, and please post back your findings.

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Roland Duhaime
    Answers Provided

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't able to download the OpenGL test software. The link on the website appears to be broken. Even if I did download it, it wasn't clear if I needed to install it on the host OS or on the virtual OS.

I did run the Technet software but the output was incredibly complex to interpret, even with an ArcMap filter set.

One comment is that I found ArcMap will start if I leave the system running for over an hour but I am not able to click on more than one thing before it hangs again. I have 3 gb dedicated to Windows 7.

Thanks,
    Roland

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Roland,

The RealtechVR folks do provide an OS X version of the OpenGL Extensions viewer but since you're emulating with Parallels you'll need to verify that you have the OpenGL 2.0 compliance inside the virtualized Windows 7 instance.

Their download PHP snippet should allow you select the Windows version from Safari, but you can also download it on your XP system and copy it over to the Mac. You want the OpenGL Extensions viewer for Windows and then will need to install it in the Windows 7 instance.

Again all this will do is show that the Apple iMAC Parallels provided Windows drivers are meeting OpenGL 2.0 compliance inside your Windows instance. You didn't say which OS X and Parallels releases you are on--should be OK with release 4 or certainly release 5 with 10.6.

I'm not very familiar with Parallels but does it make a difference with ArcGIS if you run your Windows session in full screen? As I understand it that should preferentially allow the ArcGIS components use of the GPU and display. Suspect running Windows in a window will have the OS X and Windows calls colliding.

Unfortunately, ploughing through the Process Monitor dumps is still going to be needed to tease out the exact problem with ArcGIS. And since this configuration is definitely not an ESRI supported installation you will likely still be on your own. It seems like there is a fairly robust community of Apple iMAC users of ESRI ArcGIS products, so hopefully a larger pool of you can work out these issues as the ArcGIS 10 release proceeds.

Out of curiosity do you have access to a licensed Windows media set and BootCamp? If you're really ready to dig in you could repartition and set up a multi-boot to run native Windows which of course would give you better performance and eliminate a lot of components potentially incompatible with ArcGIS.

I haven't done it in quite a while but maybe I'll have a go at an ArcGIS 10 install on a Linux box with WINE emulation, see how that shakes out--just for fun...

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 08-05-2010 at 05:57 PM.

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Jeff Moulds
    Answers Provided

Hello,

We have seen the same issue in Tech Support. That is, uninstalling Data InterOp or FME allows ArcGIS Desktop to launch.

Upgrading the graphics driver allowed ArcGIS and Data InterOp to coexist. An OpenGL 2.0 or higher compliant video card is required as stated in the system requirements:

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/...m-requirements

Let me know if that doesnt work out.
    Regards,

Jeff Moulds
    ESRI

Jackson Lord
    Answers Provided

How do I remove the Data Interoperability extension? It says it's installed (but not authorized) in the ArcGIS Desktop Administrator, but I don't see it as an option to uninstall anywhere.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Jackson,

If the ArcGIS 10 version of Safe Software Data Interoperability is installed, run this to remove it by product code...

MsiExec.exe /X {A94E95FB-0E38-4E36-B5B7-0A2C3528ED34} /qb

It won't have any affect if it actually is not installed, but you could have a look for the Product Code in the Registry if you want to check first.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 08-10-2010 at 10:21 AM.

Jackson Lord
    Answers Provided

Thanks. Threw "...only valid for products that are installed..." error, so I guess it's not installed.

ArcMap has been hanging at startup for me ever since I installed an off-the-shelf music production and MIDI sequencing software (Cubase Essential 5). My system has been periodically throwing a notification from ArcGIS Indexing saying that "The XML Parser Initialization Failed". I've uninstalled then re-installed ArcGIS Desktop, but the issue remains the same. I am able to open ArcCatalog.

Apparently these two programs (Cubase & ArcGIS) cannot coexist on the same machine...?

ArcGIS 10.0, Build 2414
    Windows 7 x64

John Bonnett
    Answers Provided

Just removed xtools and it fixed my problem with the software hanging up.

Matt Lewis
    Answers Provided

I'm having the hanging problem with ArcMap 10 as well.
    I'm Running Win XP 64-bit with dual processors and 8 gigs of RAM.
    I've uninstalled Data Interoperability Extension and that seemed to help some.
    Then I uninstalled XTools 7 and that seemed to help some more (lessened the hang frequency).
    But it's still wants to hang on some operations....seems like it's worse in the map view vs. the data view. If you let it chug for several minutes, sometimes it can work through and resume, but not always. I've checked my Open GL compliance levels and it looks like I'm at least 2.0 on everything.
    Any news on this front?
    Regards,
    Matt

Donna Dexter
    Answers Provided

Question Re: Problem with ArcMap 10 hanging

My ArcMap 10 is hanging when I try to save edits. It usually will eventually finish but it takes like 20 minutes. Any one else having this trouble.
    Donna P. Dexter
    GIS & CAD Data Manager
    RRR Associates

Jackie Overholser
    Answers Provided

Just to add to the mystery...i can run as different users on this machine and one works well and the other doesn't. The main difference is that the one that works doesn't uses redirected folders and the one that doesn't work does use redirected folders. From other threads i've seen the suggeststion to delete the "Sign In...", "Add Data", and "ArcGIS Online..." in the file pulldown, this fixed my hang-ups with Add Data, but only yesterday, today - it is hanging again. I've also tried uninstalling x-tools 7 and running ArcMap as an admin, but this didn't work for me either.

Are there any other solutions that anyone has found to work for them?

Thanks,
    Jackie
    Jackie Overholser
    GIS Administrator
    Clarksville Street Department
    jackie.overholser@cityofclarksville.com

Marc Simon
    Answers Provided

I had the same problem after installation the Defense International extension. To resolve this problem I changed the regional settings to english.

Jason Lyon
    Answers Provided

Angry Re: Problem with ArcMap 10 hanging

Posted early in thread but also having same issues still a month later, lately it is when doing simple edits on Zoning Polygons, no special tools installed. Seems to happen on larger polygons and when moving a vertex the program hangs and sits at 50% of process CPU. Hangs and does nothing, have to continually save or lose work and gets very frustrating.

Brent Stevener
    Answers Provided

Ran into this issue with one machine. Had OpenGL 2.0+ driver installed, but ArcMap would still hang on opening. Installed latest NVidia drivers (the one that was previously on the machine was a 2 year old driver), and it fixed the issue.

Jack Pitts
    Answers Provided

Post Re: Problem with ArcMap 10 hanging

I had a similar problem with ArcMap 10. It would hang for seemingly no reason in layout view when I was zooming or attempting to edit text. I am using a Windows XP SP3 machine, with specs considerably superior to the minimum requirements.

I noticed XTools Pro being mentioned in previous threads. Having removed the toolbar from ArcMap it now works fine... Shame that a great set of tools is causing problems... Other users have contacted them for updated versions and had no problems since - probably a worthwhile thing to do

Glenn Kammerer
    Answers Provided

ArcView 10.0
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    Dell Latitude E5500

Does Arc write a log file when it hangs? I cannot for the life of me figure out why Arc hangs so much. I can never, and I mean NEVER, add a table to ArcMap without it hanging. I cannot calculate fields, it simply doesn't work. I cannot, apparently, add shapefiles, which causes Arc to hang. I cannot run the add XY Event Layer - Arc hangs. And when I say hang, I mean a perpetual hourglass, no response whatsoever, and Arc is chugging 50% of the processor and 280+ MB of RAM. I am on my third complete reinstall of the software, and it's about butt useless. I love many of the new features, it's just that the program never works.

Graeme Browning
    Answers Provided

Just in case anyone reading this thread thinks they may know the answer I am having a similar problem with ArcMap 10 (and ArcCatalog 10) failing to launch on one Vista SP2 laptop (another is fine) at http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/125...7708#post37708

- Graeme

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Graeme,

Assume that you have tried to launch with UAC disabled and loged on with an administrators group account.

Did you install/activate against your ArcGIS 10 License Manager or with Authorization Numbers? A little weird that you were able to install, but not now launch.

The fact that both ArcMap and ArcCatalog hang suggests that your license server is not passing back its FNP authorization token via the VPN on the misbehaving system. Firewall active? Perhaps a try with it disabled or open a port. Should note that the ArcGIS 10 LM defaults to first in range of 27000-27009, no longer bound to 27004--is the license server's firewall open and passing all tfc on 27000-27009 to the VPN PAT mapping?

For testing do you have the luxury of installing and activating the ArcGIS 10 LM on the laptop, and so by-passing any connectivity issues? If not that can you at least get on the the same network as the license server and try to launch there. If it goes, then problem is the VPN and FNP authorization.

Stuart

Launching ArcMap on Vista laptop does not get past Initializing License
    I've just installed ArcGIS Desktop 10 on a Lenovo ThinkPad W500 with 4Gb RAM and both ArcMap 10 and ArcCatalog 10 fail to start.

The symptoms are that I see the ArcMap 10 splash screen briefly appear and for 10 seconds or so I see a blue spinning wheel. After that the spinning wheel stops and "Initializing License" is seen on, and remains on, the splash screen.

If I look at the Task Manager there is an ArcMap.exe process near the top of the Processes panel but ArcMap has not appeared in the Applications panel.

I'm accessing an ArcView Concurrent License over VPN and am able to ping the license server successfully.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be astray?

- Graeme
    Graeme Browning
    NGIS Australia
    http://twitter.com/PolyGeo

Graeme Browning
    Answers Provided

Thanks Stuart

I have an impending project deadline so will need to come back to your suggestions (which certainly look worth me investigating) after that is out of the way. In the meantime, a little more information is that the only time I see ArcMap/ArcCatalog 10 failing to launch is when I am trying to use an ArcView (Concurrent) while connected to the license server over VPN. From the same license server and VPN connection, I am able to Borrow/Return the license and start ArcMap/ArcCatalog 10, so that gives me an effective (but not ideal) workaround. The Borrow/Return interaction with the license server is somewhat sluggish (30-120 seconds) compared to what I've seen from other laptops to the same license server over the same VPN.

- Graeme

Jim Scace
    Answers Provided

I too am having troubles with ArcGIS 10 hanging or simply going away and stating it caused an error and had to stop. It is happening on two different machines with different OS. XP Pro and Windows 7 64 bit. The win 7 machine has openGL 4 card, 8 gb of ram and quad dual processor.
    The xp machine has 2gb of ram and an openGL 4 card.

Had XTools 7 installed on the Win 7 machine so I have uninstalled that but I downloaded it only two weeks ago so should be very recent.

The XP machine is the ArcView version of 10 and the Win 7 ArcInfo version.

I am going to test things without XTools and monitor this thread. I may go back to 9.3.1 but I just rebuilt several mapbooks using the Data Driven Pages instead of Mapbook......
    I need to retire..

Steven Green
    Answers Provided

To all having trouble with ArcGIS 10 and XTools, I found this patch/re-build from Data East to fix the problem:

ftp://xtools_user:Kjr3Erf5@ftp.datae...ostRelease.zip

More info here:

http://www.xtoolspro.com/forum_view.asp?fid=707

I was left "hanging" when ever I tried to open a map document. Running ArcView 10, XTools Pro 7 on Windos XP pro.

Hop this helps!

Steve

Brent Stevener
    Answers Provided

I am still not sure exactly WHAT is causing the hangups, but I have found a quick solution for some of them. If you can log in as another windows user and ArcMap starts up fine, there is something that was added/changed/or just plain corrupted in the user's registry that is causing your ArcMap startup to hang for just your user.

The 'fix' I have found is to run regedit and wipe out the entire ArcMap registry folder located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ESRI\ArcMap. This will be recreated when you start up ArcMap, but also note that any of your user customizations, settings, etc will be reset to the default. Once this is done, ArcMap starts up fine, since everything is just recreated to the default settings.

I have yet to find out what exactly is causing the hangup within the registry, if its some particular setting, some particular extension, or what have you, but now know how to resolve it. I will try to get a copy of the items in this folder the next time it hangs and see if I notice anything that might be causing the issue.

Roland Duhaime
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: Problem with ArcMap 10 hanging

I was able to get ArcMap 10 to run in Parallels by turning off "Share Mac OS X folders with Windows" within Parallels. The setting is under the Devices / Shared Folders - menu. I found that if this setting is not turned off then ArcMap essentially won't start.
    Last edited by rolandd; 09-21-2010 at 04:34 PM. Reason: I found a typo.

Jeff Roland
    Answers Provided

This may help some of you with hanging ArcMap:

I Had the same issue, called tech support and after trying all sorts of things, we discovered that the default.gdb was corrupted and ArcMap basically kept trying to create a "new" default geodatabase, however, all of these were corrupted also. There were literally thousands of default.gdb files on my machine.

To see if you have the same issue, find the folder where the defualt.gdb is kept, usually it is in your user profile. For example, on my Windows 7 machine it's in c:\users\Jeff\MyDocuments\ArcGis

If you have many defualt.gdb folders then you likely have the same issue. To solve the issue the tech support person sent me an uncorrupted default.gdb to replace the bad one. You need to delete all of the default.gdb folders before doing this also.

If you have another Arc10 machine in your office with a working default.gdb then you can copy and place it on your machine. Tech support also said that I could create a new file gdb and name it default.gdb and place it there in Catalog but I didn't try this method.

Hope this helps some of you.
    Jeff

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

As reported in this thread above by Jeff Roland, ArcMap 10 hangs on launch with creation of multiple corrupt default.gdb.

ESRI NIMBUS bug tracking record NIM061743 ( http://resources.arcgis.com/content/...D=TklNMDYxNzQz ) documents these ArcMap 10 hangs with creation of multiple corrupt default.gdb and details work around including an installation/repair of MSXML4.

ESRI is recommending download and install of MSXML4 SP3 from this Microsoft site:
    Last edited by vsfoote; 11-05-2010 at 03:39 PM.

Andrew Carroll
    Answers Provided

Same hanging problem here.
    Removed Xtools, Checked Video Card Drivers,

any other things to try... I unistalled and still getting the same problems

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Andrew,

There are quite a few additional things for you to work through, many are detailed on this and several other forum threads.

We may be able to help, but to better understand your issues perhaps you can provide OS, network and license configuration details for your ArcGIS 10 install.

Also, can you describe what component of ArcGIS 10 is "hanging". Is it happening on program launch or as you are performing a specific task in the GUI? Are you seeing an error message pop-up, or does a component simply freeze. What can you glean about the problem from Windows Task Manager? Have you attempted to capture and analyze a process log?

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 11-28-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Clive Swan
    Answers Provided

An earlier posting stated:
    >> ESRI is recommending download and install of MSXML4 SP3 from this Microsoft site

I am running a Trial ArcGIS Editor on Windows 7 - 64-bit, the laptop has 8 cores and 4GB RAM.
    I recommended the company purchase ArcGIS 10, after my experience with the trial, I am having second thoughts. Luckily the software has not been purchased yet!!

I ran ArcGIS ArcView 9.3.1 on a 32-bit operating system with less than 4GB RAM.
    This seems to run faster than the 64-bit operating system with 4GB RAM??

ArcMap just hangs - for up to 15 minutes, and I am not even processing any data???
    Does ArcGIS not work on a 64-bit OS???

Answers Provided

Hi,

I had this issue just last night in my very first ArcGIS experience: ArcMap 10 hanging when started, during initialization (the gui never came up). This was on a clean install of the 180 day trial version on a Windows 7 machine (no previous ArcGIS products on it).

Thank you very much Jeff Roland and vsfoote for your reference above to the workaround of the issue with huge numbers of Defaults.gdb being created. That was exactly my problem and the procedure described in your link (for ESRI NIMBUS bug tracking record NIM061743) worked perfectly, ArcMap comes up fine & usable now.

There were several hundred MB of bad defaults.gdb on my machine. Woo-hoo! Impressive!

I understand completely how this could have gotten through test since it evidently depends on the version of some supporting libraries. I test software for a living (completely unrelated but also very complicated CAD), so I say this with a great deal of sisterly compassion. I'd bet they tested on Window 7 64 bit but were unlucky in their machine choice (in that their machine had the working updated version of MSXML so it worked for them).

Having said that, this ranks right up there as a Major Release Screw-up since it happens right after installation on a popular OS with (evidently) fairly standard patch level and the results are spectacular (you could easily fill up your drive if you left it running). I'd have hoped that between 11/05 and now, ESRI would have modified install instructions for Windows 7 to include the required MSXML update.

I am brand new at this and perhaps just didn't find it (the site is huge), is there a good FAQ for basic stuff for people running through the esripress workbooks?

thanks,
    Carolyn Spivak

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Clive,

Quote Originally Posted by cliveswan View Post
    I am running a Trial ArcGIS Editor on Windows 7 - 64-bit, the laptop has 8 cores and 4GB RAM.
    I recommended the company purchase ArcGIS 10, after my experience with the trial, I am having second thoughts. Luckily the software has not been purchased yet!!

I ran ArcGIS ArcView 9.3.1 on a 32-bit operating system with less than 4GB RAM.
    This seems to run faster than the 64-bit operating system with 4GB RAM??
    Does ArcGIS not work on a 64-bit OS???
    Yes it runs on 64-bit OS, but at ArcGIS 10.0 it remains a 32-bit program. As such it has to be emulated on 64-bit OS. The WOW64--Windows on Windows64 comparability layer takes care of that pretty well. However, there is a performance impact.

The advantage to the 64-bit environment is that you can happily run multiple instances of ArcGIS all in separate memory space, using as much memory as you have to work with. This IS a true performance increase.

Not a 64-bit program, ArcGIS is also not effectively multi-threaded or parallelized. As such, all those extra processor cores will sit idle when just one instance of ArcGIS is running and consuming most of the available RAM. Run more instances and you'll kill performance by pushing program execution out of memory into cache--or worse out to page files on your hard drives.

Simply put, if you're not adding the additional RAM to match the higher end multi-core CPUs to accommodate running more instances of ArcGIS, there is not much reason to run the 64-bit OS.

By its nature, you'll have better performance running the native 32-bit ArcGIS on 32-bit Windows 7 when memory constrained.

The hanging of ArcGIS 10 as covered in this thread and others is an ongoing challenge that ESRI and the user community are working through. SP1 seems to have addressed a number of issues, but we know there is more to be done before we regain the comfort and performance levels we had with ArcGIS 9.3.1

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 11-30-2010 at 11:13 AM.

Jeff Pecce
    Answers Provided

I am having the exact same issue with a new install of V10. When I edit a polygon I get the blue screen of death. Happens every time. Support is working on it and has suggested that I increase my virtual memory. I have done that and so far I am still crashing. I hope this gets resolved soon or I may have to go back to 9.3.1. Will not be happy with that.

Andrew Carroll
    Answers Provided

Stuart -

I was getting the problem on Vista 32 professional, core duo processor with ATI Radeon 5600 graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM.

I just received a new lab machine and tried to install ArcGIS 10 and SP1 on it. I get the same errors. That is during ArcMap splash screen the system hangs.....and it begins to create multiple default.gdb files. I also can't load arconline basemaps in ArcGIS Explorer build 1500. This is happening on a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit, 3.3Ghz Intel i-7 processor, 12 GB ram, ATI Radeon 5800 graphics card.

One difference, I opened the ArcMap one time successfully. Ever since then it hangs.

Any suggestions???

Andrew Carroll
    Answers Provided

Wink Re: Problem with ArcMap 10 hanging

I tried the MSXML SP3 on the new Win 7 ultimate 64 bit machine and it worked!! Also fixed my arconline content connection problem with basemaps!

Did not work for VISTA 32bit professional

Thanks for the earlier posts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast