+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ArcGIS 10.2

Josh White
    Answers Provided

Default ArcGIS 10.2

I'm wondering if there has started to be any talk of an ArcGIS 10.2 and what might possibly be some of Esri's new ideas for it?

Anthony Giles

Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcGIS 10.2

Josh,

It's getting announced at the dev summit at the end of the month:

http://www.esri.com/events/devsummit/index.html

So my guess is its probably hush hush till then.

Regards

Anthony
    If you see a post you like, please use the voting tools on the right side of each post to let everyone know

Josh White
    Answers Provided

Thanks Anthony, I guess that makes sense. I'm looking forward to see what they have planned especially with how it relates to Mobile and Windows 8.

Matt Bull
    Answers Provided

Suggestion number one: stability. I've never had a version of ArcGIS crash nearly as often as v10.1.
    GIS Dynamo
    Altus Geomatics

Josh White
    Answers Provided

10.0 was pretty bad too for crashing.

Tim Langner
    Answers Provided

Now that the conference has happened, is there any more information on this next release?

Richard Watson

Answers Provided

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/722...ing-frequently

My understanding is that 10.2 is scheduled for release ~June

Tim Langner
    Answers Provided

Thanks for that Richard.

Does anyone know if their has there been any demonstrations or discussions as to what is going to be in it. I.e. what is justifying the version increase rather than a SP release?

Tim

Richard Watson

Answers Provided

Yes, this was very much discussed at the Developer Summit.

Things that I remember off the top of my head:
    - Portal as a COTS product
    - Integrated security (SSO, PKI, SAML2, OAUTH2) across the stack
    - ArcGIS Runtime offline support (changes to other products to support this)
    - GeoTriggers
    - Fixes
    - Better 3D
    - New analytics
    - Big data (Hadoop)
    - Imagery enhancements

Check out the slides and presentations which are posted online.

Kate Johnson
    Answers Provided

So does this mean there just won't be a SP2 for 10.1? It will just go from SP1 10.1 to 10.2???

10.1 is definitely the most unstable/buggy version I've used.

Tim Langner
    Answers Provided

Thanks Richard for that. I'll have another look on-line. I found some details about it but I probably needed to click through to read more details.

Personally, bar two bugs, I've found ArMap 10.1 to be more stable than version 10. I think it is a good improvement. Not as slow. screen doesn't redraw twice.

Of course I don't do much georeferencing, which if you did, I can see how it might get frustrating. Especially when the bug fix isn't due until June and your deadlines don't always allow for computer issues.

Tim Langner
    Answers Provided

I found the conference proceedings but unfortunately many of the presentations are not available, including ArcGIS: The road ahead.

Hopefully they will add them soon. I assume they had slides for the road ahead presentation.

For a list of all the sessions at the summit, including links where the presentation slides exist on-line: http://proceedings.esri.com/library/...t13/index.html

Richard Watson

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by kmjohnson View Post
    So does this mean there just won't be a SP2 for 10.1? It will just go from SP1 10.1 to 10.2???

10.1 is definitely the most unstable/buggy version I've used.
    http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/722...ing-frequently

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    ArcGIS 10.1 SP2 has morphed into 10.2, so 10.2 is the next release.

Richard Watson

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by infobleep View Post
    I found the conference proceedings but unfortunately many of the presentations are not available, including ArcGIS: The road ahead.

Hopefully they will add them soon. I assume they had slides for the road ahead presentation.
    There were 2 road ahead sessions and ESRI said that the information about these sessions would not be posted. Sorry.

Tim Langner
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by rlwatson View Post
    There were 2 road ahead sessions and ESRI said that the information about these sessions would not be posted. Sorry.
    That's a really shame. Unfortunately I have neither time or money to fly over to America to attend such an event. I couldn't even justify it as a business case, given the type of work I do.

I wish they wouldn't be so secretive about it. It's not as if the company I work for don't pay a technical support licence fee to ESRI.

Kind regards

Tim

K M
    Answers Provided

mkennedy ArcGIS 10.1 SP2 has morphed into 10.2, so 10.2 is the next release.
    A "paid for" 10.1 SP2 in the form of 10.2?

Will there not be a 10.1 SP2?

Kevin Hibma

Answers Provided

At this time, to the best of my knowledge there is no plan for 10.1 sp2.
    There are a number of reasons for a particular version to be released as a SP, full release etc. One of the driving reasons for 10.2 was the number of new features and enhancements. I dont recall with absolutely certainty, but I believe there was some information regarding 10.2 during the plenary. These videos have been posted online here: http://www.esri.com/events/devsummit/agenda/plenary
    Regards,

Kevin H.
    Esri

Tim Langner
    Answers Provided

Thanks for posting the link Kevin.

There is indeed some things on the next generation of in ArcGIS. I will view the videos later.

Kind regards

tim

Randy .
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by khibma View Post
    At this time, to the best of my knowledge there is no plan for 10.1 sp2.
    There are a number of reasons for a particular version to be released as a SP, full release etc. One of the driving reasons for 10.2 was the number of new features and enhancements.
    I'm hoping Jack gets an ear full at the UC! At one of the User Conferences around the release of 9.2 Jack acknowledged that users had asked for more bug fixes within a release and we got that, ie 5 service packs with 10.0. Then, I think it was 2 years ago at the UC, he mentioned that service packs would include new enhancements along with bug fixes. Both of these were met with approval of the crowd.

I'm a big fan of ESRI having used the software for over 20 years so I'm very much a fan of ESRI. But, if SP2 for 10.1 morphed into 10.2 and there is no SP2 release then ESRI has taken a huge step back! It takes so several months to roll out a new verson of Desktop to our users and we just started with 10.1 having waited for SP1 like we always do.

Tom colson
    Answers Provided

My only comment is: This is a joke, right? There will be a SP2? Seriously? I just went through the most harrowing experience upgrading my user base to 10.1 once SP1 came out, now all of my open tickets will be solved by ANOTHER complete uninstall and upgrade? OSM and Tilemill suddenly looks very attractive....

Tim Langner
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by tpcolson View Post
    My only comment is: This is a joke, right? There will be a SP2? Seriously? I just went through the most harrowing experience upgrading my user base to 10.1 once SP1 came out, now all of my open tickets will be solved by ANOTHER complete uninstall and upgrade? OSM and Tilemill suddenly looks very attractive....
    This is no joke. I guess what it highlights is that 9.2 and 10.0 were either very bug ridden because they required loads of service packs or it took the ESRI developers more time to get 10.1 up to a releaseable standard compared to 10.2

It certainly does make it hard for people trying to manage a large user base because of all the uninstalling required. Without that problem it would be far easier. I'm sure ESRI are aware of that. They have just not been able to find away to resolve it. May be they never will.

Where I work most users are on 9.3.1, although I tend to upgrade to the latest myself. Eventually they will be moved on to 10.1 or 10.2 but they will all require training, which is partly why they have not be moved yet. The other reason was that version 10.0 was not considered good enough to move them onto.

Kind regards

Tim

D. D.
    Answers Provided

The main question is will 10.2 Desktop be x64 application or only 32bit?

Richard Watson

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by synaps View Post
    The main question is will 10.2 Desktop be x64 application or only 32bit?
    During the recent developer summit I believe that ESRI indicated that Desktop will only support 64 bit in the next major version, i.e. version 11.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/818...189#post288189

K M
    Answers Provided

The deprecation plan for 10.1 and 10.2 is here http://support.esri.com/en/knowledge...s/detail/41175 ...

It does not mention service packs. Is there an ESRI document somewhere that states there will not be any more service packs for 10.1?

Richard Watson

Answers Provided

I don't have a link to an ESRI document for you but it seems clear that:
    • ESRI had plans to release SP 2 on 10.1
    • ESRI canceled SP 2
    • ESRI is releasing 10.2 instead and it includes the fixes which were previously scheduled for SP2 (along with some new features)

K M
    Answers Provided

During the recent developer summit I believe that ESRI indicated that Desktop will only support 64 bit in the next major version, i.e. version 11.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/818...189#post288189
    This is good... 64-bit will be very welcome!

And thank you for the info above.

Tom colson
    Answers Provided

"ArcGIS 10.2 will be the last major release to include the ArcSDE command line tools. Esri encourages use of the new Geodatabase Administration dialog box in ArcCatalog and ArcMap and the related geoprocessing tools that were introduced at 10.1. "

?!?!?

The command-line tools in the SDE install are critical for problem solving and performance tuning. The GUI "tools" come no where near the functionality and and the scope of the command-line tools. Why would these be removed after 10.2?

Marco Boeringa

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by tpcolson View Post
    "ArcGIS 10.2 will be the last major release to include the ArcSDE command line tools. Esri encourages use of the new Geodatabase Administration dialog box in ArcCatalog and ArcMap and the related geoprocessing tools that were introduced at 10.1. "

?!?!?

The command-line tools in the SDE install are critical for problem solving and performance tuning. The GUI "tools" come no where near the functionality and and the scope of the command-line tools. Why would these be removed after 10.2?
    Yes, I noticed this too. Not entirely unexpected, but I guess this means two things:

- ESRI is probably "testing the waters" here with these statements, and attempting to get a feel of how many users are still in need of these tools, and whether there is any legitemate case for suspending support for the command line tools now they introduced the Geodatabase Administration toolset. VBA was pronounced dead at 10.1, but is now extended to even 10.2...

- (Hopefully) A continued and seriously extended support of Geodatabase Administration tools in ArcGIS. That probably means the need for new tools not yet realised that can replace similar tools of the ArcSDE Command Line tools.

Anyway, I have visualized some of the expected upcoming changes in a supplement of my ESRI Geodatabase Framework document based on these deprecation plans. Of course, since these are plans, and I don't have a crystal ball, some of it is still uncertain... The supplement is here:

The ESRI Geodatabase Framework - Future developments at ArcGIS 10.2 and 11.
    Last edited by mboeringa2010; 06-03-2013 at 12:22 AM.

Michael Rivera
    Answers Provided

According to their site: http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/whats-coming
    It is coming out in July now instead of June.
    Michael Rivera
    Regional Project Manager - GIS
    Southern Georgia Regional Commission
    Valdosta, GA

Ke G
    Answers Provided

coming out with new versions that include fancy new features is fantastic. Those who look forward to these things will be delighted to upgrade. In the meantime there are those of us who have clients that are on older versions of software (those released IN THE LAST YEAR) who need vital fixes for things that DON"T WORK in their current software.

Anyone who has worked with esri products for more than a week knows that things often don't work as they are pitched by esri marketing. Yet the marketing engine just keeps steamrolling ahead - always appealing to upper management with promises of candy mountains in the clouds. While those of us in the trenches, TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH THINGS, view new releases for the bug list - that glorious moment where the giant admits that the thing you have been banging your head about for the last six months is not your fault and that help is on the way.

The reason that service packs are treated differently by esri users than full releases is because that is the way esri has TRAINED us to think. you make the leap to the latest major release, and all the pain that is associated with that, and then you hope the things you need to work actually work. when they don't you try to fix them, put in bugs, and wait for service packs. Users did not imagine that routine in their heads - that is what we were fed. Now that is all changing? Unbelievably disappointing.

Tim Spivey
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by infobleep View Post
    Where I work most users are on 9.3.1 ....
    Perhaps ESRI should have called it a day after 9.3.1 (still remarkably stable and functional today), re-trained its programmers and sales reps, and gone into the business of making wicks for kerosene lanterns. Then we users could have used all that "retraining on the new version" time to hone our tiddly-winks skills.

We keep getting our hands burned with each new major release, yet keep coming back for more ... just say'in

Marco Boeringa

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Tift_Tax View Post
    We keep getting our hands burned with each new major release, yet keep coming back for more ... just say'in
    ... that we're addicted?!

I agree with most folks here ESRI should do more to in terms of testing pre-release and ensure fixes and SP's are released ASAP after each new major release once issues are identified.

The amount of time waisted by some users just doesn't weigh up to early releases of "hot" new functionality.

Of course, there will always be a balance in this respect...

Developing software bug-free, and especially software as complex as ArcGIS, just ain't possible, but the balance could definitely be more on the stable / reliable side of things... also as proven by the fact that ESRI generally does manage to sort many things out once we get down the line of X.1-n releases up to such final things as 9.3.1.
    Last edited by mboeringa2010; 07-12-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Ke G
    Answers Provided

we need an end to 'public betas'.
    the software manufacturer should hire staff to test the software, not unleash it on a userbase and wait for them to find the problems.
    that is the free, open-source model.
    this software people pay $$$$$ for (some of them dearly)

Hussein Nasser
    Answers Provided

Its mid of july and still no news from ESRI regarding 10.2,

As everybody else, since there is no service pack to fix the buggy 10.1 we really need to migrate.

Richard Fairhurst

Answers Provided

10.2 was the focal subject of a lot of the ESRI UC and all demonstrations were made with that version that I saw. So 10.2 is more than just a dangling carrot. They said release would occur within 2 weeks of the conclusion of the conference, but they still had several finishing touches to make during those 2 weeks.

10.2 will finally offer 64 bit multi-processor support for at least geoprocessing (and probably much more although that was what I specifically heard about in the sessions I went to). Integration with Microsoft Office where you can use ArcGIS online services to create maps in the Office 2010 or 2013 suite looks cool at 10.2 (content creation based on pre-existing geometry created outside of Office is supported, such as interactively geocoding addresses from Excel rows or creating new Excel columns from map analysis outputs based on Business Analyst style queries from within Excel itself, for example).

Of course my agency will wait a year before migrating no matter what (10.1 was just installed on my computer 2 months ago), but it looks like 10.2 will be worth testing for early adoption.
    Last edited by rfairhur24; 07-13-2013 at 11:17 PM.
    If your question was answered don't forget to click the Mark as answer check and to click the top arrow (promote) at the right hand side of the post.

Tom colson
    Answers Provided

I'm guessing there's no upgrade path....uninstall and reinstall?

Sean Wray
    Answers Provided

While at the US I heard from several people that 10.2 would be released within 2 weeks after the UC.

Andrew Brown
    Answers Provided

I heard that it'll be at the end of this month. Whether that means next week or the following, who knows.
    WVU

Andrew Brown
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by M.Hussein View Post
    Its mid of july and still no news from ESRI regarding 10.2,

As everybody else, since there is no service pack to fix the buggy 10.1 we really need to migrate.
    There is SP1 for 10.1
    WVU

Randy .
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by abrown31 View Post
    There is SP1 for 10.1
    Hussein may be referring to all the 10.1 bugs that didn't get fixed in SP1.

Richard Watson

Answers Provided

This page conatins (sic) the list of issues addressed in the upcoming release of ArcGIS for (Desktop, Engine, Server) 10.2.

http://support.esri.com/en/downloads...60/metaid/1986

Jeff Roland
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by VBAHole View Post
    we need an end to 'public betas'.
    the software manufacturer should hire staff to test the software, not unleash it on a userbase and wait for them to find the problems.
    that is the free, open-source model.
    this software people pay $$$$$ for (some of them dearly)
    You would find a LOT more problems if there were no public Betas - there's no way a private beta could test the thousands of different combinations of hardware and software potential conflicts. Besides, it's not just used to catch bugs but also used to by companies that have invested in scripts, add-ins and other custom tools to see if their tools work in the new version. And, by the way, many major companies release betas of their software, not just open source models. Also, it's a great way to get feedback for ideas that might get included in the next version.

Jean Boivin
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by ksjosh82 View Post
    I'm wondering if there has started to be any talk of an ArcGIS 10.2 and what might possibly be some of Esri's new ideas for it?
    Looks like #ArcGIS #10.2 is available for download for EDN subscribers Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	237
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	26183

Michael Volz
    Answers Provided

Question Re: ArcGIS 10.2

I do not see that with my organization's EDN account. Are there different licensing types for EDN where it would be available to some endusers before others?

Mike MacRae
    Answers Provided

It's now available through the ESRI Customer Care Portal.

Ryan Stovern, GISP
    Answers Provided

I am in the process of installing 10.2 over-top of 10.1 and it is on 55 minutes of installing. Hopefully it will not be like this on all machines I manage.

Ryan
    Ryan Stovern, GISP
    GIS Analyst
    Lake County Minnesota

Michael Volz
    Answers Provided

Don't you need to uninstall ArcGIS v10.1 first?

Maybe there is an error dialog box that is obscured by another object, so the install is hung and that's why you think it is taking so long.

Ryan Stovern, GISP
    Answers Provided

You do not need to uninstall 10.1 first. The area of install that was taking the longest was writing to the registry. It finally finished after 1 hour and 15 minutes.
    Ryan Stovern, GISP
    GIS Analyst
    Lake County Minnesota

Michael Volz
    Answers Provided

Ryan:

Is this the case for all ArcGIS v10.2 software including ArcGIS Server and SDE?

Ryan Stovern, GISP
    Answers Provided

I am not sure yet. I have only installed on my work laptop. I will be waiting to try it on our server and SDE for at least 6 months and at that time I will be upgrading all of my users.
    Ryan Stovern, GISP
    GIS Analyst
    Lake County Minnesota

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast