+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ArcGIS mixed environment and licensing

Ulises Feliciano Troche
    Answers Provided

Default ArcGIS mixed environment and licensing

In our site we have products in ArcGIS 9.2 (Desktop and ArcSDE) and ArcGIS 10.0 (ArcGIS Server) and we are upgrading our hardware. Recently we received the ArcGIS 10.1 media and are evaluating our upgrade and license consolidation plan. Since we have some customization in our 9.2 and 10 installations that will take a little longer to migrate, we're trying to figure out if we can installed the license manager for 10.1 in one of our new servers and keep our 9.2 desktop and AG Server 10 installations, but looking at the new LM (10.1). I read somewhere that LM 10.1 support 9 and 10 products, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks

Michael Volz
    Answers Provided

Post Re: ArcGIS mixed environment and licensing

I am about to upgrade my LM to v10.1 within a week where most computers will still be at v10.0 and at least 1 computer will be at v9.2 (some archaic tool that is only available at this version but still very useful). ESRI has told me that it should work fine, but I will confirm this and let you know of any problems that I encounter.

Ulises Feliciano Troche
    Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcGIS mixed environment and licensing

Thanks Michael...

Ulises Feliciano Troche
    Answers Provided

I had the opportunity to test the following in an environment with Desktop clients in 9.2 and 10.0 (each version with its own license server):

- Install LS 10.1 in a new server.
    - Migrate the license from the 10.0 LM Server using the option "from local server".
    - I set the new 10.1 LM Server in some of my 9.2 clients, as well as in the 10.0 clients.
    - Install AG 10.1 in a client.

All 9.2 and 10.0 clients works fine, but the 10.1 client cannot start AG and received the message "License server system does not support this version of this feature."

I'm guessing I need to upgrade the licenses in the 10.1 LM Server ("Upgrade Now..." option) in order to be able to use AG for Desktop 10.1. Can someone confirm this? If that is the case, will the other clients using 9.2 and 10.0 products be able to continue working? I can't upgrade all my clients at the same time because some of them (both in 9.2 and 10.0) use some customized functions that will take some time to migrate, but I like to upgrade the others.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

This post is marked as the answer

Yes to support some mix of ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 seats (Basic, Standard or Advanced) you will, if eligible, need to upgrade some number of seats on your license server.

Process is pretty easy, you just need to decide if you want to upgrade all 10.0 to 10.1, or limit to a portion of the seats. Default is to upgrade all, so pay attention.

Once one seat in the pool has been upgraded, you will be able to serve license out to an ArcGIS 10.1 client.

If you upgrade all seats to 10.1, the 10.0 clients and 9.2 clients will consume those upgraded seats.

The only reason not to upgrade has been the audit trail on the Esri customer care portal, where for complete tracking of your licenses you have to deauthorize the seats--returning fulfillments to Esri, and then authorize the new seats against your entitlement.

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Ulises Feliciano Troche
    Answers Provided

Thanks...

I keep getting an error running the upgrade in my LM server.

Click image for larger version

Name:	errorLM.png
Views:	40
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	22508

Have you seen this before?

Michael Volz
    Answers Provided

Question Re: ArcGIS mixed environment and licensing

Ulises:

Could it be that the licenses in your desktop 10.1 environment are different from the licenses in your 10.0 environment? May be you had 15 concurrent ArcInfo licenses and in 10.1 you only requested 10 concurrent ArcInfo licenses (just an example). This is just a guess as an ESRI rep. told me this is an area I should keep an eye on when upgrading the LM from v10.0 to v10.1.

Ulises Feliciano Troche
    Answers Provided

Michael, I verify the documentation and the licenses are still the same amount and numbers. Thanks anyway...

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Ulises,

The license manager looks to be talking to Redlands servers -- that you don't receive the upgrade suggests there is no entitlement in place for your existing 10.0 authorization number(s).

Contact your Esri distributor or Esri Customer Service Representative to verify, or if you have access to the Customer Care portal you can check for yourself.

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Ulises Feliciano Troche
    Answers Provided

We'll get in touch with our distributor. Thanks for the information and suggestion...

Ulises Feliciano Troche
    Answers Provided

Looks like there was a problem with our licenses...we get in touch with ESRI and solved the problem.

Thanks everyone...

+ Reply to Thread