+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Copying Features from One ArcMap window to another, without losing Related Tables

Adarsh Madhavan
    Answers Provided

Default Copying Features from One ArcMap window to another, without losing Related Tables

In our current workflow we are working in a Personal Geodatabase with few features and related tables , many persons will be working in different schemes.

When we need to merge these schemes\Pgdb to a single output , we are copying feature class to feature class . Obviously this changes the Object ID in the resulting output Geodatabase and we lose the related table Information.

Is there any way to copy feature classes from different inputs Pgdbs and still preserve the related tabl
    Last edited by Intellgis; 03-12-2013 at 04:56 AM. Reason: Better clarity by specifying related tables

Craig Gillgrass
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Copying Features from One ArcMap window to another, without losing Related Tables

Quote Originally Posted by Intellgis View Post
    In our current workflow we are working in a Personal Geodatabase with few features and related tables , many persons will be working in different schemes.

When we need to merge these schemes\Pgdb to a single output , we are copying feature class to feature class . Obviously this changes the Object ID in the resulting output Geodatabase and we lose the related table Information.

Is there any way to copy feature classes from different inputs Pgdbs and still preserve the related tabl
    the Copy/Paste functionality within Catalog and the Catalog Window will both preserve ObjectIDs and copy over relationship classes. Are you copying feature classes within Catalog or are you copying features within an ArcMap Edit Session?
    thanks,

Craig Gillgrass
    esri

Adarsh Madhavan
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Copying Features from One ArcMap window to another, without losing Related Tables

Quote Originally Posted by cgillgrass View Post
    Are you copying feature classes within Catalog or are you copying features within an ArcMap Edit Session?
    We were copying features via an ArcMAP editing session !

Adarsh Madhavan
    Answers Provided

I feel its either strange or its a minor oversight, when I tried using Arccatalog for copying a feature class with related table

Inside arccatalog, select the particular feature class ( inside a feature dataset) and then when I hover to the new pgdb where I want to paste this feature ( with related table) , the Paste option is disabled..

What am I experiencing here ?

We cant copy a feature class from on Pgdb and past in another Pgdb ?

Or may be a feature dataset to an empty Pgdb will work, but how to accomodate pgdbs with same wschema from different users and merge to a single Pgdb, maintaining the relationship classes ?
    Last edited by Intellgis; 03-12-2013 at 07:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread