+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 19th century Topo - how can i create in ArcMap? battlefield student

kevin donaghy
    Answers Provided

Question 19th century Topo - how can i create in ArcMap? battlefield student

Dear Group,

I am a graduate student, archaeology, Temple University, PA - my puzzle is that i have early topo map of an area i am doing viewshed analysis for, the goal is to take this existing topo and make a 3-D model, so i thought - Is it possible to take the raster of the topo map, and create a line feature of the edges , but then that creates this bizarre wedding cake look, so then i thought what if i create point feature classes using the geo-rectified x,y and then load a Z, would that be something i could then work into a TIN, or am i missing the boat, i am a beginner, and my focus is 18-19th century battlefield studies, Any thoughts on how to turn a nineteenth century Army Corps of Engineer Topo into a format for analysis to modern LIDAR and DEM's to illustrate the landscape changes over time? This could also be applied to some of the terrain alterations in places like Iran in the defense belt, which would present topographical changes that may have fallen through the cracks on modern remote sensing and imagery, or it could be used to consider rock shelters and large overhangs in mountainous regions using older maps that kept track of those topographical nuances the we miss in modern satellite remote sensing -

i'm interested in 18-19th century map projection into a new 3D model, to determine effects of things like Railroad and infrastructure changes to historical resources, and thought the more modern analysis might get interest to help me, i really have no projects focused in the area of the lower sea, other than some routine fieldwork from EBA sites. but i hope to take the idea to look at more formidable modern applications with the data., from a preservation perspective - So, old paper topo to georectify, and then create a feature class that can be used to render same into a shapefile for 3d elevation -

any thoughts?

Thank you for your thoughtful consideration, and suggestions.,

sincerely,

kev

kevin m donaghy
    grad student
    Department of Anthropology

Bob Booth
    Answers Provided

Default Re: 19th century Topo - how can i create in ArcMap? battlefield student

Kevin,

I'd suggest getting some data for the area that's in a projected coordinate system, georeference the scanned map to the data, create new line feature class in the same projection, digitize the contours, attribute the contour lines with elevation values (in the same units as the linear units of the projected coordinate system). Digitize streams and ridgelines, if available and use the Topo to Raster tool:
    http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesk...007m000000.htm

Here is another resource with some alternative methods.
    http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/pages/v...ageId=11337908

Best,
    Bob

kevin donaghy
    Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: 19th century Topo - how can i create in ArcMap? battlefield student

Dear Bob,

This is great, will work on your instructions, this is really helpful, thank you for the quick response.,

Sncerely,
    kev

+ Reply to Thread