+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arc GIS 10 and Map Book DS

Daren Tatham
    Answers Provided

Default Arc GIS 10 and Map Book DS

The company I work for is possibly upgrading the version of ArcGIS from 9.3 to 10. I have a few tools that I use on a daily basis for my map generation. One of which is MapBook DS, which I use to create map books. If I upgrade this systems' ArcGIS will the mapbook grids be compatible with the built-in mapabook generation tool? Would that tool also create the mapbook pages in a similar graphical format? I am really accustomed to using this tool to create our mapbooks and would like to continue using it if possible.

Thanks for the help

Daren Tatham

GIS Analyst
    Environmental Resource Solutions Inc.

Gary Barden
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Arc GIS 10 and Map Book DS

ArcGIS 10 has a tool bar named Data Driven pages, that allows you to produce maps similar to the functionality in the Map Book.

John Sobetzer

Answers Provided

I was lucky enough to be able to install 10 on my second computer for testing since mapbooks (and the zoom and export to georeferenced tifs tool) are so important for my work. The DDP has some wonderful capabilities and is similar to mapbook in many ways, I've also found some limits including: 1. you lose the map series tab which I found to be very useful for moving between pages to see how they look or as a super bookmark, and for exporting single maps, 2. you lose the ability to tag a text box with a field attribute using 1-2 clicks, instead you have to insert one of the default provided dynamic texts, then open it up, then edit the html tag to point to the field you do want, and then save that all of which requires many clicks and switching to the keyboard and back, and if you make a mistake repeating it, and 3. I think you lose the option to suppress tiles and as noted in 1 to easily select only certain maps for export in a series, in favor of using a selection but selection queries require quite a few clicks and switches to the keyboard and back. I would add it cannot export to a georeferenced tif which mapbook never did but the zoom and export tool could for Views. If you convert an existing mapbook you will of course lose your map series and tags, and if you had chosen the clip with cross hatch option you will have to manually select one of the hatched areas and delete it. On the plus side there are some wonderful additions. I do have two enhancement requests in to add something like the map series tab (NIM059032) and the export to tif (NIM059031, I hope it includes georeferencing within it) but they didn't give me one for tagging text.

Nick Nolte
    Answers Provided

So, is there a way, with the new Data Driven Pages to:
    1. Hatch outside the tile
    2. Double click on a particular page to bring it up without scrolling through them all
    3. Label neighboring tiles that are not in a rectangular grid

Nick Nolte
    Answers Provided

Well I figured out how to emulate the hatch outside the tile.

This assumes your layers are transparent to the page, i.e. the layers I load are all linework, so there are no polyfills. Below all my layers I have two additional layers, one that is a white fill with no outline, and one beneath that with the hatch. You can then clip the white fill layer to the data driven layer using the new Clip Option in the Data Frame Properties window to "Clip to current data driven page extent"

This clips just the white background layer to your current tile and lays it over the hatch layer giving the illusion that the hatch is cut around the tile.

Tim Spivey
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by johns View Post
    1. you lose the map series tab which I found to be very useful for moving between pages to see how they look or as a super bookmark, and for exporting single maps,

3. I think you lose the option to suppress tiles and as noted in 1 to easily select only certain maps for export in a series, in favor of using a selection but selection queries require quite a few clicks and switches to the keyboard and back. I would add it cannot export to a georeferenced tif which mapbook never did but the zoom and export tool could for Views. If you convert an existing mapbook you will of course lose your map series and tags
    John - have you found any work-around for issues 1 & 3? To me, they are core issues. In fact, I may not upgrade to 10 if it means having to re-create all my 9.3.1 mxds that contain DSMapbook sets. The tools in 10 may be great for NEW work, but ...........

Regards

John Sobetzer

Answers Provided

The suggested workaround for the missing map series is for your brain to remember what each map's name is, and then you can type it in that little window to get the page to display. I don't like having to remember each page name, and I don't like having to switch to the keyboard.

As for suppressing pages, in addition to the clumsy query process, if your brain can remember what page numbers you want or don't want, you can type them in at the export page dialog box, as you could in mapbook. Eg. 1-7,9-12. I suppose you could use the snippet tool to clip an image of your map series and save it for future reference.

I had hoped I could use my index layer's table as a kind of map series by resizing it to approximate the old tab after limiting the fields it would display. It kind of works. You can right click on a record and pan or zoom; you can select records for printing with a mouse, etc.

But if you are using a clip or page definition query or dynamic text, however, the pages don't update so it's useless in that situation. While you can use it to select pages for export that doesn't suppress pages on a persistent basis and it gets messed up with other tables that you may want to open. (If you haven't seen how ArcGIS 10 displays tables you are in for a surprise. If you resize your index table to tall and narrow to use as a map series tab of sorts, then all the other tables open in that same window with only a tab to switch between them. I don't think I like this approach in general and it kind of screws up this workaround.)

I have no workaround for the loss of exporting georeferenced tifs in batch.

For all these reasons, there will have to be a 9.3.1 install here to run mapbooks and the zoom/export tool. But then I still use 3x for some things. Keep those old computers running.

I wish you better luck.

Carl Gordon
    Answers Provided

Exclamation Re: Arc GIS 10 and Map Book DS

Does anyone know how to override the automatic rotation in a strip map???

Accordin to ESRI Help, "In order to keep within cartographic conventions, these angles are calculated to keep North oriented toward the top of the page as much as possible. Angles are calculated against the default orientation of a map where 0 degrees is due North, 90 degrees is due East, 180 degrees is due South and -90 degrees is due West. " While I completely understand why this is done, I find it to be a complete P.I.T.A. when dealing with a winding corridor.

I've been changing the field value in the attribute table to correct this but when creating a map book for 20 miles of raod at 1:1200, it becomes very tedious.

Thanks!
    Carl

Brian Graves
    Answers Provided

Is there a way to change an item (e.g., a text element) on a single page of the series without having that change propagate across the whole series?

Jim Dahl
    Answers Provided

...1. you lose the map series tab..., 2. you lose the ability to tag a text box with a field attribute using 1-2 clicks, instead you have to insert one of the default provided dynamic texts, then open it up, then edit the html tag to point to the field you do want, and then save that all of which requires many clicks and switching to the keyboard and back, and if you make a mistake repeating it, and...
    This sounds like someone who shares my thoughts and frustrations. I surely miss the map series tab for very quick export selection, so let me know if there is a good way. Also trying to edit the html tag to a field in the table but it doesn't work. How do you do it?

jim

John Sobetzer

Answers Provided

Red face Re: Arc GIS 10 and Map Book DS

If you insert some dynamic text like the data driven page name then double click on the box you get something like this: <dyn type="page" property="name"/>. Replace name with the field name you want. This only works if you have set the project up for Data Driven Pages. Just opening up an pre-existing mapbook project won't work but it is easy to do since your project is set and you have your index file. Just make the DDP toolbar available and click the setup button and go.

Stine Skinnes
    Answers Provided

Hi.
    Is it possible to have a dynamic table in the layout using DDP, or does that require MPS Atlas?

Monja Esterhuizen
    Answers Provided

Hi Carl, did you get an answer to your question? I have a similar issue with a road corridor, for which I want to create a series at an optimal rotation to fit the layout page for each map.
    Please reply to: monjae@uwp.co.za
    Thank you.
    Monja.

Quote Originally Posted by cgordon42 View Post
    Does anyone know how to override the automatic rotation in a strip map???

Accordin to ESRI Help, "In order to keep within cartographic conventions, these angles are calculated to keep North oriented toward the top of the page as much as possible. Angles are calculated against the default orientation of a map where 0 degrees is due North, 90 degrees is due East, 180 degrees is due South and -90 degrees is due West. " While I completely understand why this is done, I find it to be a complete P.I.T.A. when dealing with a winding corridor.

I've been changing the field value in the attribute table to correct this but when creating a map book for 20 miles of raod at 1:1200, it becomes very tedious.

Thanks!
    Carl

Elliott Lowe
    Answers Provided

Post Re: Arc GIS 10 and Map Book DS

Quote Originally Posted by Tift_Tax View Post
    John - have you found any work-around for issues 1 & 3? To me, they are core issues. In fact, I may not upgrade to 10 if it means having to re-create all my 9.3.1 mxds that contain DSMapbook sets. The tools in 10 may be great for NEW work, but ...........

Regards
    I think I may have found a workaround for issue # 1. It took some setting up but you can do it pretty easily with no coding involved. This will basically give you a list of the page names in an attribute table with a page number for look up purposes.

First I added a field to my layer that contains all of the page names/index. I called it page number. Sorted the page names alphabetically and then calculated the Page Number field starting with 1. We have over 7000 pages in our mapbook and remembering the name is quite a pain.
    Open your project that you have your mapbook set up in. Follow the steps to set up your DDP. Click the down arrow on the DDP toolbar and choose Show Page.
    Open the attribute table of the layer containing Page Number and Page Name. Hide all fields besides those two. Pin the attribute table to the right side of the screen by the toolbox and catalog menus and resize it to whatever you want it to look like. You should now have at least a look up table that give you a page number for each map. Type that number into the DDP toolbar and press enter.
    Once you have it set up how you want it, open the Customize menu Customize Mode  Options and check the box to save all customizations to the document. This will allow you to move around the attribute table in any other mxd but retain the setting in this map book. You can even password protect the customizations so your users can’t move things around and save the project. We have over 15 users getting into this project daily and this should solve our issue of not having the map series tab anymore. Hope this helps a little.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MapSeriesTab.jpg‎
Views:	671
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	5122  

John Sobetzer

Answers Provided

That looks like a good workaround for your situation, Elliot, about as good as you could get. If I had to use 10 I'd probably try it. But like the workarounds I've tried with the DDP such as using a table to pan around to different pages, it can't fix all the problems even skipping the initial setup work. You certainly wouldn't want to open up any other tables in that project because in 10 (unlike 9x) they would all open up in that narrow window. It also requires dropping the mouse and typing in a number for a single page, or more for multiple pages, and if the latter it doesn't persist. Now if in SP1 they allowed tables to appear in their own window, and in the DDP allowed the use of an index table set up like yours with just clicking in it to move the map to different pages or export one or more, then I'd like that.

Elliott Lowe
    Answers Provided

One thing that I did notice is that if you double click on the row header it will zoom to the image. The one problem with that is the scale changes. We need all of our maps printed in a 1:1200 scale at all times so that measurements are correct. If you double click on the row header it will change that for some reason, but it will pan to that map page. If you are using dynamic linked text it will not update either. Why couldn't they have just made it like the old DS Map Book app? There is claimed solution out there that I found when I was at the User conference last year. MapLogic Layout Manager, but only part of it is free and gets expensive if you need a Pro Level Enterprise license. www.maplogic.com if you want to take a look.

John Sobetzer

Answers Provided

See #NIM059032. I don't know if anything will be done regarding it.

K M
    Answers Provided

That looks like a good workaround for your situation, Elliot, about as good as you could get. If I had to use 10 I'd probably try it. But like the workarounds I've tried with the DDP such as using a table to pan around to different pages, it can't fix all the problems even skipping the initial setup work. You certainly wouldn't want to open up any other tables in that project because in 10 (unlike 9x) they would all open up in that narrow window. It also requires dropping the mouse and typing in a number for a single page, or more for multiple pages, and if the latter it doesn't persist. Now if in SP1 they allowed tables to appear in their own window, and in the DDP allowed the use of an index table set up like yours with just clicking in it to move the map to different pages or export one or more, then I'd like that.
    Removing the ability to have tables in separate windows, and the removal of MapBook (DDP as people point out is not better, it's different, and missing some features)...has resulted in a lot of people not buying Arc 10. If ESRI fixes these two things, that alone will spur adoption at many agencies.

ESRI:

1) Allow multiple table windows
    2) bring back MapBook functionality (having a list of MXDs in a pane like MapBook. Data Driven Pages is NOT a replacement!)

Rhiawna Bracci
    Answers Provided

I noticed that people are doing a lot of work arounds but I found this tutorial about DDP and one of the images about pdf's shows the edges are hatched out (lighter in color) giving me hope that it is possible within the application itself:

http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcg...ven-Pages.aspx

Has anyone figured out where this lovely feature might be?
    Last edited by retrograderae; 04-20-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: I messed up on the URL

Khaled Hussein
    Answers Provided

Thumbs up Re: Arc GIS 10 and Map Book DS

Here is what I did
    Run the Categories.exe exectutable in you ArcGIS bin directory.
    Scroll down to ESRI Mx Extensions and select that category.
    Click on the Add Object ... button and browse for DSMapBookUIPrj.dll, When the Add Object dialog comes up, uncheck everything and then click on just DSMapBookExt and click OK.
    While still in the Component Category Manager, scroll up to ESRI Contents Views and select that category.
    Click on the Add Object ... button and again browse for DSMapBookUIPrj.dll Uncheck all the classes, then click on just DSMapBookTab and click OK

This will add a button to the TOC, however the button will not show an icon but it will work, good luck

Khaled

matt wilkie
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by khussein View Post
    Here is what I did
    This will add a button to the TOC, however the button will not show an icon but it will work, good luck
    Thanks for this Khaled! This indeed lets me open and use Mapbook compositions created in 9.x. I'll fold your instructions into http://code.google.com/p/arcmapbook/...ookAndArcGIS10.

Note to anyone else following this thread, the prerequsites for Khaled's instructions are:
    1. Install ArcGIS VBA Resources (from the Arcgis 10 installation media)
    2. Obtain a license for VBA (from ESRI customer service)
    3. Install Mapbook (e.g. run _install.bat)
    -- matt

Help build a vendor neutral GIS specific Q&A site for cartographers, database administrators, geographers, programmers, and anyone interested in or using GIS professionally.

+ Reply to Thread