+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ArcHydro in ArcGIS 10

Answers Provided

Default ArcHydro in ArcGIS 10

Hi
    Has anyone upgraded to ArcGIS 10 and installed/used ArcHydro with it?

Bogi Bjornsson
    Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcHydro in ArcGIS 10

Bump to the top.

I would be interested in knowing about this as well and if there are any issues with running the current ArcHydro version (for ArcGIS 9.3) with the 10.

Would also love to hear from offical ESRI persons that work on ArcHydro to comment.

Thanks in advance

Teri Dowdy
    Answers Provided

Unhappy Re: ArcHydro in ArcGIS 10

Just completed upgrade to ArcGIS 10. Current ArcHydro 9.3.1 will not install. Installer looks for 9.3 products. Looked for updates at ftp site, resource center and the ArcHydro Blog - no luck. Hopefully, Dr. Maidment and his group are on the fix and will have it live soon.

Tom colson
    Answers Provided

From what I understand, there are no plans to forward engineer Arc Hydro, TAUDEM, HEC-GeoRAS, or HEC-GeoHMS to compatibility with 10. So those of us in the H&H service lines will be sticking with 9.3 for quite some time. This is similar to when ESRI moved from 3.2 to 8.0: note how there are still people using 3.2 because of the investment people made in developing tools to work on the AV 3.x platform. That many more people have made a much more substantial investment in developing tools that work on the 9.x platform, and I suspect that very few people will be migrating to 10 that depend on 9.3 to generate income for them. Severl pals of mine had their IT dept push 10 out like the week it came out, and have had all sorts of problems going back to 9.3 so they could finish projects.

Ray Jahncke
    Answers Provided

Apparently ArcHydro will be released, but without all functionality, in the next few weeks. A full version, however, that is compatible with ArcGIS 10 will be available in the Fall.

Answers Provided

An alpha version of Arc Hydro 2.0 for ArcGIS 10 can be downloaded from ESRI ftp site.

ftp.esri.com
    login: RiverHydraulics
    password: river.1114
    or

ftp://RiverHydraulics:river.1114@ftp...Hydro/Setup10/

This is work in progresss and should be treated with care. If you choose to install it, you only need to run ArcHydroTools.msi after installing ArcGIS10 (from the ArcHydro/setup10/2.0.0.34 or similar version directory). ApFramework will be installed as well.

Notes

- Most Terrain Preprocessing/Terrain Morphology functions have been migrated and are avalaible as geoprocessing tools in the Arc Hydro toolbox and functions in the Arc Hydro toolbar.

- Network tools: Set Flow Direction is available as a geoprocessing tool in this release.

- Attributes: Compute Local Parameters is available in the menu

- Main delineation tools are available

You may report any issue by sending an e-mail to archydro@esri.com

Also, if you are getting some errors, try to turn off the background processing when running the geoprocessing tools -this is still being tested as well (using Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing options).

Christine Dartiguenave
    Arc Hydro Release Manager
    ESRI Water Resources Team

Ray Jahncke
    Answers Provided

just a tip -
    in case you need to uninstall apframework from a previous version, it is found under the name "water utilities application framework".

Nathan Tobin
    Answers Provided

Cool Re: ArcHydro in ArcGIS 10

Has there been any new developments with this tool in regards to Arc10 compatibility? There's been an increasing need for this as organizations make a migration to Arc10!

Thanks for all your work!

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Nathan,

ArcHydro is pretty much fully functional for ArcGIS 10, ver 2.0.0.80 was built Dec 22, 2010 and posted to the Water Resources ftp site, and it bundles AppFramework ver 4.0.0.22.

The embedded Help and Tutorial were updated Nov 15, 2010.

But, as has been well publicized the HEC GeoRAS and GeoHMS will not be updated in the near term for ArcGIS 10. So if your needs center on preprocessing support for HEC RAS or HMS, you'll need to stay with ArcGIS 9.3

Stuart

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Systems Analyst - Geological Sciences
    The University of Texas at San Antonio
    Classroom & Research support
    Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Tom colson
    Answers Provided

Is there a business reason for not upgrading GEO RAS&HMS to work with 10? That affectively guarantees that the entire H&H engineering community won't be spending $$$ (as ESRI would hope) on 10. I am already running into situations where organizations are running into issues after IT blindly updates to 10, only to encounter a user revolt when none of the H&H tools will work. At the university level, we're facing demands from the population that we teach using 10, but what we teach is centered around the application of tools and extensions that are applicable to resource management and engineering, and none of these things work in 10. I'm rather confused about the business case to release a major version change, push its sale with this so-called "certification", yet not support any of the functionality that has made previous versions successful.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Tom,

Simply put it is not ESRI's decision. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineering, Hydrologic Engineering Center (HEC) is not a commercial entity and their development work on all HEC related H&H software is not bound by business considerations--rather operational and configuration management tied to the needs to the Corps of Engineers.

ArcHydro and the Water Resources Application Framework development, including HEC-GeoRAS/GeoHMS is a collaborative effort on the part of U.S. Governmental, Educational and ESRI Professional services. It continues apace with the needs and requirements of each participant. ESRI has proceeded with development of an ArcGIS 10 ArcHydro extension because it does make business sense. The HEC on the other hand does not yet require an ArcGIS 10 capability at this stage of the HEC-RAS and HEC-HMS projects. The ArcGIS 9.2/9.3 compliant GeoRAS 4.3/GeoHMS 4.2 and GeoHMS 5.0 developmental versions of the software are being maintained by this effort.

ESRI is not the purveyor of HEC-GeoRAS/HEC-GeoHMS, simply a collaborative partner in its development. ESRI hosts, as a public service, access the "developmental" versions of the software. The HEC retains distribution and management of the "official" versions and provides configuration management and technical support for their internal USACE offices.

I'd note that in reality, in an academic, corporate or governmental setting it is a simple matter to maintain ArcGIS 9.x and desired HEC GeoRAS or GeoHMS functionality by retaining seats of ArcGIS 9. ESRI's licensing structure facilitates this and their track record suggests they will continue to support prior versions indefinitely.

There are other commercial purveyors of preprocessors for the HEC RAS/HMS modeling systems, Aquaveo for example, that have implemented ArcGIS 10 capable versions of their software. A route the HEC has no operational need to pursue--yet.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 01-17-2011 at 01:30 PM.

If a post is helpful, or answers your question, or simply annoys you because it is WRONG please use the voting tools on the right side to help identify quality content on the Forum.

Adobe, AutoDesk, ESRI, ERDAS, ESI, Exelis Visual, IHS, Mathworks, Oracle, SAS Inst, Schlumberger, Seismic Micro-Technology, Trimble, Wolfram

Eric Castle
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by vsfoote View Post
    Nathan,

ArcHydro is pretty much fully functional for ArcGIS 10, ver 2.0.0.80 was built Dec 22, 2010 and posted to the Water Resources ftp site, and it bundles AppFramework ver 4.0.0.22.

The embedded Help and Tutorial were updated Nov 15, 2010.

But, as has been well publicized the HEC GeoRAS and GeoHMS will not be updated in the near term for ArcGIS 10. So if your needs center on preprocessing support for HEC RAS or HMS, you'll need to stay with ArcGIS 9.3

Stuart
    Stuart,

How can I access the Water Resourses ftp so I can download Arc Hydro 2?

Thanks,

Eric

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Eric,

See post #6 in this thread. But here again are the credentials.

Credentials:
    ftp.esri.com
    passwd: river.1114

It is much easier to use an ftp utility like FileZilla as it is unwieldy to download in a Web browser.

Grab and read the “readmemmddyyyy.doc” file on the root. Then change down to the ArcHydro folder and the Setup10 for ArcHydro version 2.x which is still late stage beta and only applicable for ArcGIS 10.

Stuart

Alvaro Fonseca
    Answers Provided

I have just installed ArcGIS 10 on a newly formatted computer, and also installed ArcHydro 2.0, and it seems to work much better than the previous versions (9.3.1). They have done a lot of improvement, especially adding some functions in the ArcHydro Toolbox, so that one can run Model Builder with more functions now.

However, there is one thing I cannot find, a function called Accumulate Shapes. It´s still on the help documentation, but I just cannot find it. Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Alvaro

Mustafa ELHalwagy
    Answers Provided

There are some files have password protected,

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Mustafa,

That is correct, you have no license for that information and the material has always been password protected. It is proprietary, non-public domain material used by the Professional Services Water Resources team and HEC and Academic collaborators, in fee-based instruction on the use of the ArcHydro and HEC-GeoRAS, HEC-GeoHMS utilities.

The extensions are well documented, and the classroom/seminar materials are not needed for general use. You'll find you don't need them.

Stuart

Mustafa ELHalwagy
    Answers Provided

OK, thank you very much.

Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by Archydro View Post
    An alpha version of Arc Hydro 2.0 for ArcGIS 10 can be downloaded from ESRI ftp site.

ftp.esri.com
    password: river.1114
    or

ftp://RiverHydraulics:river.1114@ftp...Hydro/Setup10/

This is work in progresss and should be treated with care. If you choose to install it, you only need to run ArcHydroTools.msi after installing ArcGIS10 (from the ArcHydro/setup10/2.0.0.34 or similar version directory). ApFramework will be installed as well.

Notes

- Most Terrain Preprocessing/Terrain Morphology functions have been migrated and are avalaible as geoprocessing tools in the Arc Hydro toolbox and functions in the Arc Hydro toolbar.

- Network tools: Set Flow Direction is available as a geoprocessing tool in this release.

- Attributes: Compute Local Parameters is available in the menu

- Main delineation tools are available

You may report any issue by sending an e-mail to archydro@esri.com

Also, if you are getting some errors, try to turn off the background processing when running the geoprocessing tools -this is still being tested as well (using Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing options).

Christine Dartiguenave
    Arc Hydro Release Manager
    ESRI Water Resources Team

Okay I'm a student and I installed this on one of our computers in the university lab that runs Arc10, I'm having a little trouble finding the extension to add it in to 10. Any suggestions?

Matthew Henington
    Louisiana Tech University GIS Department

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Matthew,

You've given the correct link in your post. Follow the ftp session down into the 2.0.1.15 folder and right mouse on the ArcHydroTools.msi and use "Save link as" (FF, or Save Target as for IE). Download to a good spot on the system.

Run the Microsoft Installer: either right mouse --> Install, or launch cmd.exe, navigate to the download folder, and execute "msiexec.exe /I ArcHydroTools.msi /qb"

As with any software installation you must have Administrators privilege to do the installation--is that the case in your school lab?

When installed, you activate the ArcHydro Tools from ArcMap 10 via
    Customize --> Toolbars --> ArcHydro Tools
    For full function of some tools, you will need to activate the "Spatial Analyst" and "3D Analyst" extensions from the Customize --> Extensions check boxes.

Stuart

Emily McCoy
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: ArcHydro in ArcGIS 10

Quote Originally Posted by tpcolson View Post
    From what I understand, there are no plans to forward engineer Arc Hydro, TAUDEM, HEC-GeoRAS, or HEC-GeoHMS to compatibility with 10. So those of us in the H&H service lines will be sticking with 9.3 for quite some time. This is similar to when ESRI moved from 3.2 to 8.0: note how there are still people using 3.2 because of the investment people made in developing tools to work on the AV 3.x platform. That many more people have made a much more substantial investment in developing tools that work on the 9.x platform, and I suspect that very few people will be migrating to 10 that depend on 9.3 to generate income for them. Severl pals of mine had their IT dept push 10 out like the week it came out, and have had all sorts of problems going back to 9.3 so they could finish projects.
    Gah Tom, you're such a buzzkill! What a dilemma for those of us with iPads and those that want to use new tools such as MODIS http://data.crwr.utexas.edu/blog/new...iration-data/:)

Guess I'll delay the upgrade till ArcHydro comes to 10 and proves its not going to be a big mess of headaches!

Hope you are well Tom!

Emily

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Emily,

Looks like your link to the CRWR blog item on the MODIS16 project got trashed. The CRWR Modis Toolkit is an ArcGIS 10 ArcPy site library based Python toolbox.

Anyway, have a look at the rest of the thread and you'll see that ArcHydro extension for Desktop 10 has been available for a while and is being actively refined by Dean Djokic and team.

Stuart
    Last edited by voldune; 04-27-2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Fixed link per vsfoote's request.

Athena Wong
    Answers Provided

Many thanks guys!! exactly what i'm looking for =)

Athena Wong
    Answers Provided

I'm having some trouble here: I've failed to generate Catchment grid delineation (under Terrain Preprocessing). The error message I get is: 000049 : Failed to build attribute table
    I'm recalculated my raster so that it is single band, integer type but still cannot build my attribute table.

Can someone gimme a hand at this?

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.JPG‎
Views:	397
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	5555  

Ron Santini
    Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcHydro in ArcGIS 10 and ApFramework9 Uninstall Problem

I am attempting to load ArcHydro 2.0 on my computer that had ArcHydro1.3 installed. I followed the instructions to uninstall Arc Hydro Tool 9 as follows:

Uninstalled ArcHydro Tools 9
    Uninstalled Water Wtilities Application Framework 9
    Cleaned old directories (C:\ProgramFiles\ESRI\WaterUtils|ApFramework9)

I then ran the installer for ArcHydro 2 and got the message:

"Setup has detected a previous version of Arc Hydro Tools installed on the system.
    The previous version of Arc Hydro Tools must be uninstalled before continuing with this installation.
    Please uninstall Arc Hydro Tools by using the Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel".

I then went into the Registry to delete the key: HKEY_LOCAL_NACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\Applications\WaterUtilities\ApFramework9

When I did that the only ESRI key present was:
    HKEY_LOCAL_NACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\Desktop10.0

Can anyone help understand/find the file the installer is referring to?

Thanks!

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

@ronsantini,

Suspect you may have had a DLL still registered when you deleted a folder.

Below are the removal instructions from the current Readme03152011.doc. Note step 5 and use of the ApRegWork utility. This tool is custom built to unregister the Water Resources components.

Stuart

Task 0. Remove legacy WR applications

If you have any of the legacy WR applications released before 2/15/05 you will have to uninstall all of them, and reinstall the new suite of applications. The recommended procedure is the following:
    1) Close all Arc applications (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcToolbox)
    2) In Control Panel in Add/Remove Programs, remove ALL water resources applications including: Arc Hydro Tools, HEC-GeoRAS, HEC-GeoHMS, Water Utilities Application Framework (ApFramework), HEC-GeoDozer, XML Exchange. Which components are installed depends on the applications you have installed. If you look in the ESRI installation directory (usually c:\Program Files\ESRI) you will see some of the installed applications.
    3) After running the remove application and accepting automated removal, check each of the directories in the application installation directories mentioned in step 2. If any of the bin directories contain a dll, first unregister the dll and then delete the file.
    4) Delete ALL directories that contained the old applications.
    5) Recommended – run a registry cleaning application to ensure there are no “hanging” components left. You can use the ApRegWork application available on the ftp site as follows:
    a. Copy the folder ApRegWork from ftp://RiverHydraulics:river.1114@ftp.esri.com and run the setup.
    b. Browse to start>all programs>apregwork>apregwork.exe
    This will open a registry cleanup window.
    c. Keep all defaults and select as Searching Text the application you want to cleanup (ARCHYDRO/ApFramework/HECGEOHMS/HECGEORAS) and click search. This may take 5-10 minutes depending on your computer.
    d. Once the search is done (Searching Test is green again), right-click in the panel showing the registry keys found and select Delete All.
    If you have a newer application (released after 2/15/05) that you are updating, you need to uninstall only that application unless a different procedure is specified with the application instructions.
    Last edited by vsfoote; 04-05-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: clarify function of ApRegWork as specific to Water Resources tools

Ron Santini
    Answers Provided

@ronsantini,

Below are the removal instructions from the current Readme03152011.doc. Note step 5 and use of the ApRegWork utility. This tool is custom built to unregister the Water Resources components.

Stuart
    Stuart, Thanks. Your instructions worked. By the way, is there a Tutorial for ArcHydro 2.0, or can I use the 1.3 or 1.4 tutorial?

Ron Santini
    Answers Provided

@ronsantini,

Stuart
    Stuart, Looks like I spoke to soon! ApRegWork worked on my laptop, which is running Windows XP, but it would not delete the files on my desktop running Windows 7 (See Attachment). ApRegWork identifies all the registry files. When I select "Delete All" it does not delete the files. The log file just shows what files have been found containing the searching text. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions as to why these registry entries are not being deleted on my Windows 7machine?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ApRegWork.jpg‎
Views:	330
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	5781  

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Ron,

Did you bypass UAC by running the .exe from a command prompt "Run as Administrator", or better have you activated the Administrator account and run the ESRI.APWR.ApRegWork.exe clean-up from that account?

Stuart

Ron Santini
    Answers Provided

Ron,

Did you bypass UAC by running the .exe from a command prompt "Run as Administrator", or better have you activated the Administrator account and run the ESRI.APWR.ApRegWork.exe clean-up from that account?

Stuart
    Stuart, I am the administrator, so when I log in, I log in as administrator. I will try your suggestions. Thanks!

Ron Santini
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by ronsantini View Post
    Stuart, I am the administrator, so when I log in, I log in as administrator. I will try your suggestions. Thanks!
    I was able to run ApRegWork successfully. It removed all items related to ApFramework9 and ArcHydro. However, we I went to install ArcHydro2, I again got the message that a previous version of Arc Hydro Tools is installed. I have searched throughout directories and can't find an instance of ApFrame9, ArcHydro, ArcHydroGW.

I still have the ArcHydro Grounwater installer, AHGW, still listed in the Porgrams & Features, but I cannot remove it because it is looking for a file related to ArcGIS 9.3, which was removed when I installed ArcGIS10.

Do you have any other suggestions

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Ron,

It is a common admin problem with ArcGIS--failure to uninstall 3rd party extensions prior to the ArcGIS uninstall.

Unfortunately, Aquaveo does not publish a AHGW cleanup utility that I've come across. You might contact their technical support to ask if such a tool is available.

If not, two ways to proceed--first reinstall ArcGIS 9.x & then run the AHGW uninstaller (unpleasant since you've already loaded ArcGIS 10).

Alternative--try an uninstaller, I use CCleaner (www.piriform.com) when full package is intact, but you probably want to start with Revo Uninstaller (www.revouninstaller.com)--the Pro version is necessary for 64-bit use--the freeware version is fully functional for 32-bit systems.

Revo will perform as much of the uninstall as possible--it then finishes with a registry and configuration file cleanup with adjustable agressiveness. Following a Revo uninstall, I'll usually run through a CCleaner registry check to be sure all is good. Reboot! Then proceed with another ArcHyrdo 2.x install attempt.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 04-08-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Ron Santini
    Answers Provided

Ron,

It is a common admin problem with ArcGIS--failure to uninstall 3rd party extensions prior to the ArcGIS uninstall.

Unfortunately, Aquaveo does not publish a AHGW cleanup utility that I've come across. You might contact their technical support to ask if such a tool is available.

If not, two ways to proceed--first reinstall ArcGIS 9.x & then run the AHGW uninstaller (unpleasant since you've already loaded ArcGIS 10).

Alternative--try an uninstaller, I use CCleaner (www.piriform.com) when full package is intact, but you probably want to start with Revo Uninstaller (www.revouninstaller.com)--the Pro version is necessary for 64-bit use--the freeware version is fully functional for 32-bit systems.

Revo will perform as much of the uninstall as possible--it then finishes with a registry and configuration file cleanup with adjustable agressiveness. Following a Revo uninstall, I'll usually run through a CCleaner registry check to be sure all is good. Reboot! Then proceed with another ArcHyrdo 2.x install attempt.

Stuart
    Stuart: No luck, but here is what I have done:

1. Uninstalled ArcGIS Desktop 10
    2. Reinstalled ArcGIS 9.3
    3. Reinstalled Aquaveo AHGW
    4. Uninstalled Aquaveo AHGW
    5. Uninstalled ArcGIS9.3
    6. Ran ApRegWorks
    7. Rechecked with ApRegWorks - Registry for ApFramework and ArcHydro empty
    8. Ran Uniblue Registry Booster to clean up registry
    9. Reinstalled ArcGIS 10
    10. Rebooted computer
    11. Attempted to reinstall ArcHydro2
    12. Received Message: "Setup has detected a previous version of Arc Hydro Tools installed on the system"

So I am not sure where to go from here.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Ron,

Answered you over on the Desktop Installation & Configuration forum.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 04-09-2011 at 11:09 AM.

Emily McCoy
    Answers Provided

Thanks so much!

Peter Wilson
    Answers Provided

Cool Re: ArcHydro in ArcGIS 10

Hi everyone

Just an update, ArcHydro 2.0.1.47 is available from the ESRI ftp server. It has resolved a lot of the errors that I was receiving with regards to problems generating HydroID's and Adjoint Catchments. I have also seen that HEC-GeoRas and HEC-HMS are currently being updated for ArcGIS 10 and should be available this summer according to HEC's website.

A question that I have if anyone knows, will ArcHydro 2.0 final support ArcGIS 10 Terrain Datasets and Mosaic Datasets?

Regards
    Peter Wilson
    GIS Technologist
    Aurecon South Africa (Pty) Ltd

Jia Yang
    Answers Provided

Post Re: ArcHydro in ArcGIS 10

Hi, the ArcHydro team members,

I there any way which could allow ArcHydro to work with my own ArcEngine application ?

For the reason that I can't install the whole ArcGIS(or ArcMap) to the clients' computer, thus I just wanna add this ArcHydro toolbar to my own application.

Looking foward to your reply, much thanks.

Yacoub Raheem
    Answers Provided

Hi,

I am running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (Pentium Dual-Core CPU, 3.07 GHz, 1.96 GB RAM). I have ArcGIS 10. I have installed the ArcGIS 10 Service Pack 3 (http://resources.arcgis.com/content/...66&MetaID=1807).

I installed what I thought was the latest version of ArcHydro 10 version 2.01.133 from here:
    ftp://RiverHydraulics:river.1114@ftp...Hydro/Setup10/.

I am delineating watersheds from 30m ASTER DEMs. I go through the standard pre-processing steps (Fill Sinks, Flow Direction, Flow Accumulation, Stream Definition, Stream Segmentation, Catchment Grid Delineation, Catchment Polygon Processing). Then I get to Drainage Line Processing and I get the following error:

Error HRESULT E_fail has been returned from a call to a COM component.

I tried uninstalling ArcHydro and then installing HEC-GeoHMS 10.0 (http://www.hec.usace.army.mil/softwa.../download.html) which automatically installs ArcHydro10 version 2.0.1.125. When I go through the same process, I get the same error.

This does not happen when I run this on Windows 7 machine (Intel Core i5, 2.53 GHz, 4GB Ram, 64-bit OS).

I am mainly a user and not so much a developer...

Please help!!!

Thank you,
    Yacoub
    email: yacoub@stanford.edu

Tom colson
    Answers Provided

1. have you deleted the contents of the windows temp folder? C:\Users\username\Local Settings\Temp
    2. are you accessing the source data from a path with spaces in it?
    3. have you tried performing the same function with the Arc Hydo Tools from Arc Toolbox?
      What is the projection of the native ASTER DEM? If not projected, there is a problem
    4. Have you copied the source data to a NEW directory and started again?
    5. How have you filled sinks? With AH fill sinks or another method?
    6. How many catchment polygons are there? There is a limit of the number of vertices/FC's that AH can process?
    7. Have you tried using a virtual hard drive utility like ramdisk? Sometime AH chokes because it's waiting on your incredibly slow mechanical hard drive to spit data back out.
    8. Did you install SP3 before or after HMS/AH?
    9. How big is your DEM? Rows? Columns?
    10. Have you tried multiplying your DEM by some constant, say, 10000 and coverting to int? See pdf in AH download dir on this topic. Speeds things up.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

Yacoub,

Would add to Tom's questions which are all valid--especially clearing the Temp space between runs. Can you add more memory?

Since the Aster DEM processing runs to completion on a 64-bit Windows 7 with 4GB available RAM it suggests it is a memory management issue under your XPsp3 32-bit system. That is to say, the processing fits and runs to completion in the full 4GB user-mode memory space of a 32-bit program in 64-bit address space.

So, is your Windows XPsp3 system limited by BIOS to 2 GB RAM, and can you add RAM? Or is it a laptop that is already maxed out? Adding at least another 1GB of RAM should allow the 32-bit OS some head space to complete the processing in available 2GB per-process user-mode memory address space.

You might also need to add a /3GB flag to the boot.ini file which would expand available user address space, and allow each process its full 2GB limit--but don't set this flag unless you ARE able to add additional RAM!

Some additional tweaks of 32-bit programs to set LargeAddressAware values can be helpful to increase per-process address space beyond 2GB (notably for python.exe and pythonw.exe). But I would not pursue those just yet as it would add another variable and the existing unmodified programs run to completion under 64-bit OS in when not memory constrained.

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 10-22-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Yacoub Raheem
    Answers Provided

WOW!!! You guys are rock stars! Thank you so much for the support!

The solution ended up being relatively simple... though of course it took me 8 hrs to finally narrow it down the problem!

I started with an ASTER file. It was the first file I brought in so of course the data frame was set to that. I then opened toolbox from within ArcMap and projected the ASTER file. Then I ran the terrain preprocessing steps on that projected file... that was my problem.

I needed to close ArcMap and first add the projected file, so that the Data Frame was in the spatial reference as the DEM I was processing. It seems like ArcHydro likes it when the data and the Data Frame are in the spatial reference. I guess its some issued related to reprojecting on the fly.

Some of the other silly things I tried that actually seemed to sometimes help (it definitely does seem like ArcHydro is buggy...) are to NOT keep the data in the "C:\Documents and Settings\user\My Documents\ArcGIS" folder, and instead keep them in a folder right on the C drive. ArcHydro perhaps doesn't like file names and extensions with spaces. Also, for some reason I was getting errors when I was projecting into Africa Albers Equal Area Conic but NOT when I was projecting into UTM 37S (Mozambique). But that was actually only a problem with the ArcHydro version that installed when I installed HEC-GeoHMS 10, not when I installed the latest ArcHydro.

Thanks again! I haven't posted on one of these forums in years and its great to know there is such immediate response!

Alvan Karlin
    Answers Provided

Hi. We have been using ArcGIS10 and ArcHydro 2 for quite some time, but when we installed ArcGIS10/ Service Pack 2, we seem to be having several processing issues. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Peter Wilson
    Answers Provided

Lightbulb Re: ArcHydro in ArcGIS 10

Hi Alvan

Firstly are you using the latest version of ArcHydro 2.0.1.133 You can download it from ESRI's ftp server ftp.esri.com UserName: RiverHydraulics Password: river.1114. Second suggestion is that you download Service Pack 3. I've been using ArcGIS 10 SP3 with ArcHydro 2.0.1.133 and no hassels.

Regards
    Peter Wilson
    GIS Technologist
    Aurecon South Africa (Pty) Ltd

Claire Rose
    Answers Provided

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread.

I also want to confirm that I was able to install ArcHydro for my ArcGIS 10, having first installed the ArcGIS Service Pack 3. I'm using Windows 7 and it installed smoothly, however, instead of getting ArcHydro from the ESRI ftp, I used this link:http://www.hec.usace.army.mil/softwa...downloads.html

Natalie Marsan
    Answers Provided

Hi! What about ArcHydro for Deskto10.1?

Thanks.

V Stuart Foote

Answers Provided

@souris_boo,

Covered in this open thread, sticky at the top of the forum...

Stuart
    Last edited by vsfoote; 08-16-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Bowman Dove
    Answers Provided

Tom,

Simply put it is not ESRI's decision. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineering, Hydrologic Engineering Center (HEC) is not a commercial entity and their development work on all HEC related H&H software is not bound by business considerations--rather operational and configuration management tied to the needs to the Corps of Engineers.

ArcHydro and the Water Resources Application Framework development, including HEC-GeoRAS/GeoHMS is a collaborative effort on the part of U.S. Governmental, Educational and ESRI Professional services. It continues apace with the needs and requirements of each participant. ESRI has proceeded with development of an ArcGIS 10 ArcHydro extension because it does make business sense. The HEC on the other hand does not yet require an ArcGIS 10 capability at this stage of the HEC-RAS and HEC-HMS projects. The ArcGIS 9.2/9.3 compliant GeoRAS 4.3/GeoHMS 4.2 and GeoHMS 5.0 developmental versions of the software are being maintained by this effort.

ESRI is not the purveyor of HEC-GeoRAS/HEC-GeoHMS, simply a collaborative partner in its development. ESRI hosts, as a public service, access the "developmental" versions of the software. The HEC retains distribution and management of the "official" versions and provides configuration management and technical support for their internal USACE offices.

I'd note that in reality, in an academic, corporate or governmental setting it is a simple matter to maintain ArcGIS 9.x and desired HEC GeoRAS or GeoHMS functionality by retaining seats of ArcGIS 9. ESRI's licensing structure facilitates this and their track record suggests they will continue to support prior versions indefinitely.

There are other commercial purveyors of preprocessors for the HEC RAS/HMS modeling systems, Aquaveo for example, that have implemented ArcGIS 10 capable versions of their software. A route the HEC has no operational need to pursue--yet.

Stuart

I like the links and complete details. I'll follow the article strategy and will share this to friends.

Ellery Queen
    Answers Provided

I am also waiting for the reviews to come to upgrade to upgraded to ArcGIS 10 as this caused many issues to my system last time. When I contacted the technical team none offered me proper help, then I had to format the whole system. I just don't want such issues to happen again.

JANE
    powered backups

+ Reply to Thread