+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ArcGIS Server 10 .NET Setup Error

Adolfo Marinucci
    Answers Provided

Exclamation ArcGIS Server 10 .NET Setup Error

Hi,
    I'm trying to install ArcGIS Server 10 on a Win Server2008 server.
    After selected features to install and choosen Python directory, installer throws this kind of error:

Internal Error 2878. Existing_WEB_Site, ListBox, sqladmin(default), 80,268

It seemed that installer found an existing website named sqladmin. Even if I remove the sqladmin (that acutally existed), the installer throws the same error but with another web site name (site that I can't remove).

IIS on this server is actually hosting many websites, some of them bound to port 80. I'm wondering if this could be a problem with ArcGIS.

Any thoughts?

Thank you very much,
    Adolfo Marinucci

chris whitmore
    Answers Provided

Default Re: ArcGIS Server 10 .NET Setup Error

Hi Aldofo,

Sounds like the web sites have configurations the install isn't able to handle. Try to install silently. check out Installing silently - specifically, the command line option WEBSITE_ID=. Determine the web site you want to place ArcGIS Server Manager (default name is ArcGIS) and use the web site ID for that web site in the command line.

Hopefully, directly providing the web site you want will bypass the error.

Thanks,

Chris
    ArcGIS Online | Portal for ArcGIS

Adolfo Marinucci
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: ArcGIS Server 10 .NET Setup Error

Hi,
    I've exactly done what you say some days ago, without reading your reply, and it worked great!

Thank you very much for your help, the problem was what you described.

Adolfo Marinucci

PS: I think the problem for the installer to correctly identify websites from IIS is caused by plesk which is installed on the server!

Brendan Cunningham
    Answers Provided

Hi,
    For anyone who encounters this issue, I found an alternative fix.
    The error seems to be a conflict regarding Port 80.
    Therefore I went into IIS and renamed by Default Web Site to be Port 12345.
    I then ran the DotNet installation again, and it worked fine without the error blocking me out.
    After installation I renamed the port back to 80 and restarted IIS.
    All working fine now!

Russell Miles
    Answers Provided

I've had this problem as well on both Windows 2003 and 2008 Servers. Yes, if more than just the Default Web Site are bound to port 80, the issue occurs. I'm attempting to help ESRI Support replicate the issue and get a bug fix request in.

James H. Cutts III
    Answers Provided

Unhappy Re: ArcGIS Server 10 .NET Setup Error

I am attempting to install ArcGIS Server Enterprise 10 (.NET) on an Windows 2008 Enterprise x64 computer and I'm running into the above error. It is annoying, but at least it is consistent.

Here is what I've done.
    Run ESRI.exe from ArcGIS Server Enterprise Folder
    Select ArcGIS Server for the Microsoft .NET Framework - GIS Server
    "Next" from Welcome screen
    Accept license agreement and click "Next"
    Accept Defaults for features (namely all features), click "Next"
    Nearly immediately get "Internal Error 2878, Existing_Web_Site, ListBox, Default Web Site,80,1"

I review installation documents and check on System Requirements. I see that .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 is required. I check "Features" in the Server Manager. It lists ".NET Framework 3.0" but not 3.5.1. I check in "Installed Programs" and find that "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1" and "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile" and "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended" are all listed as installed programs. Search web but don't find any useful information on getting .NET 3.5.1 to show up as an installed feature.

A web search on the specific "Internal Error 2878" finds: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/835...ET-Setup-Error from 7-15-201. Much as the Original Poster, I have numerous existing web sites on the server.

I followed suggested link to: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisserv...0000014000000/ to try to the quiet install.

The "quiet install" instructions indicate the following commands should be run.
    msiexec /i \\machinename\server_dotnet_GIS_Services\setup.msi /qb InstallDir=C:\ArcGIS_Server INSTANCE=ArcGIS_External WEBSITE_ID=4059640

However, there is no setup.msi in a \server_dotnet_GIS_Services directory. There is no "\server_dotnet_GIS_Services\" directory at all. There is a "ArcGIS_Server_DotNet_Edition" directory. But, there's no setup.msi in it, just two further directories. I want to install the GIS Services, so I checked out the "GISServices" directory. - Ah, finally a setup.msi at "S:\GIS\Arc 10.0\ArcGIS Server Enterprise 10\ArcGIS_Server_DotNet_Edition\GISServices". (There is also a setup.exe in that directory.)

I check out the file:///S:/GIS/Arc%2010.0/ArcGIS%20Server%20Enterprise%2010/ArcGIS_Server_DotNet_Edition/GISServices/Documentation/install_guides/Server_dotnet/index.html#/Windows_Server_2008_R2_IIS_requirements/00890000000n000000/ page (man those are long URLs!)
    I have all the IIS requirements.

I check out the file:///S:/GIS/Arc%2010.0/ArcGIS%20Server%20Enterprise%2010/ArcGIS_Server_DotNet_Edition/GISServices/Documentation/install_guides/Server_dotnet/index.html#/Verify_system_requirements/008900000007000000/ for the System requirements.
    I have, per the above discussion, .NET Framework 3.5.1 installed on the machine, however isn't listed as an installed feature. The ESRI documentation doesn't say how to install .NET 3.5.1 for Windows 2008 Enterprise (probably because no one knows).

The two ESRI links don't say what I want for the INSTANCE or WEBSITE_ID values. Should they be new and unique or belong to an existing site? I'm perfectly happy with a new site, let's call it "ArcGIS" and give it the unused WEBSITE_ID of 12.

To organize the applications rationally I want the Server to be in "C:\Program FIles (x86)\ArcGIS\Server 10".

So the command should be,
    msiexec /i "S:\GIS\Arc 10.0\ArcGIS Server Enterprise 10\ArcGIS_Server_DotNet_Edition\GISServices\setup.msi" /qb InstallDir="C:\Program FIles (x86)\ArcGIS\Server 10" INSTANCE=ArcGIS WEBSITE_ID=12

I open an DOS window (Command Prompt) and copy that command in. Then press <Enter>.

I get the "ArcGIS Server 10 - GIS Services" Preparing to install dialog and then Windows ask for my permission to install the application. I'm sysadmin on the server, so I give it approval and the install process starts. I wait while the process goes slowly along. With "Time remaining: 2 minute", the following error message shows up: "Error in custom action. The library ESRIRegistrationMgr.dll is invalid or could not be found." The only choice is to is to click "OK". (see C:\Users\cuttsj\Pictures\ESRI_Error_msg.jpg)
    Installation appears to proceed; at least the "Time remaining" decreases as the progress bar gets longer. At about "Time Remaining: 25 seconds", the same "Internal Error 2878, Existing_Web_Site, ListBox, Default Web Site,80,1" error appears along with another "ESRIRegistrationMgr.dll" error. Click "OK" on dll error box. Click "OK" on "Internal Error" box,
    end up with "Fatal Error - Installation ended prematurely because of error."

I've repeated this process 3 times. Twice to make sure I was doing everything correctly, the third to come up with these detailed documentations.

So what now?

One possibility would be to go over to the secured site where the server is installed and install Windows 2008 R2 over the existing operating system. Reinstall all the applications. Reinstall ArcGIS 10 Desktop. Reinstall ArcGIS 10 License Manager and then try to install the ArcGIS 10 GIS Services for .NET. Then re-establish all the web sites. But that should be a bit of over kill.

Marco Porcari
    Answers Provided

Post Re: ArcGIS Server 10 .NET Setup Error

I had the same problem during the upgrade from ags 9.3.1 to ags 10, and I tried the same solutions without success.

However, I have resolved as follows:

1) created new web site on iis
    2) Set home directory and tcp port (80) of new site folder equal of default website. The new website can not be started at the Same Time of default website, But is irrelevant for the scope.
    3) install arcgis server from the command line with the new site WEBSITE_ID
    4) after installation I manually recreated the virtual directory (arcgisoutput etc.) and Set The correct applicaiton pool on Defalut Website, after that I converted to the "application" the folder for Service, Rest and other content folders in the virtual dir "ArcGIS".

Arcgis server 10 on windows server 2008

I hope you find it useful

Jan Teisinger
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by brendanbrendan View Post
    Hi,
    For anyone who encounters this issue, I found an alternative fix.
    The error seems to be a conflict regarding Port 80.
    Therefore I went into IIS and renamed by Default Web Site to be Port 12345.
    I then ran the DotNet installation again, and it worked fine without the error blocking me out.
    After installation I renamed the port back to 80 and restarted IIS.
    All working fine now!
    This solution worked for me as well and it seems to be the simplest method. In our case we had two bindings setup for "www.oursite.com" and "oursite.com" for port 80 in Default Web Site. I have changed the port number of the later to 1234, started the install and it finally displayed the list of ports in the installer dialog. Then i have changed it back to 80. Thanks for the tip brendanbrendan!

Answers Provided

You can just turn off IIS as well and it works fine. The issue is when IIS is running and the port is in use. Stop the Web Publishing Service and you should be set to go.

Dave Orlando
    Answers Provided

any other suggestions?

I'm trying to install Server 10 on a clients box (2008 R2) that has a few website running. I've changed all port numbers to random stuff (12345, 999 etc) but the error still occurs and just states the new port number in the message.
    I've shut down their sites as well but no difference.
    I tryed the silent mode, but can't install the 'intmsi3' (not enough space even rough I have well over 50GB)??

Gilles Lavoie
    Answers Provided

Smile Re: ArcGIS Server 10 .NET Setup Error

Hi everyone

You can start Windows PowerShell from the Start menu, from the taskbar, from the Search or Run box, from a Command Prompt window, or even from another Windows PowerShell session.

1) execute : poweshell
    2) A command powershelle apear
    3) paste this line to reset the default iis setpath: Set-Location 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot'
    4) Go to the gisserver instalation and right click on the setup.msi and execute the msi file not the setup

That it... I hope a help someone....

Tom Lynch
    Answers Provided

Thanks geogilles!

I must've installed AGS 10 half a hundred times without seeing this error.

I saw it today, and was somewhat confused, but your PowerShell trick sorted me out. Much obliged.

Jesse Wickizer
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by D.Orlando View Post
    any other suggestions?
    I tryed the silent mode, but can't install the 'intmsi3' (not enough space even rough I have well over 50GB)??
    I realize it's an old thread, but in case it helps someone...
    I received the same not enough space message when trying to install the instmsi3.exe provided. instmsi3.exe is probably already installed - skip that step and proceed with the rest of the silent install instructions.

+ Reply to Thread