+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Finding a percentage in a grid/polygon

Balazs Martai
    Answers Provided

Default Finding a percentage in a grid/polygon

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a state level map and I have a year's worth of crashes. The crash data includes age.
    Younger drivers, by the standards I'm looking at, are between the ages of 16 and 19, inclusive. I have 1 square mile grids over the state (used Fishnet tool), and need to find the percentage of younger drivers out of all drivers in each grid.
    That is to say, if a grid has 100 drivers total, and 20 of them are younger, then it would equal 20% or 0.2. The point of this is to have these percentages get color-coded and look at where younger drivers cause more crashes than in other locations.

I have no idea how to go about this, as I do not know how to VB Script (I looked at the Field Calculator in the Attribute Table, but wasn't sure what to do with it).

I'm using Desktop 10.0, SP 5.

Geoff Appleby
    Answers Provided

Default Re: Finding a percentage in a grid/polygon

Sounds like an interesting analysis.

What data format is your crash data in? Points at where the crash occurred or is it just non-spatial data as in a table?

Should be an easy enough couple of steps, just curious to know the data a bit better.

Thanks,

Balazs Martai
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffAppleby View Post
    Sounds like an interesting analysis.

What data format is your crash data in? Points at where the crash occurred or is it just non-spatial data as in a table?

Should be an easy enough couple of steps, just curious to know the data a bit better.

Thanks,
    The data is pulled from a network database, and it has x- and y-coordinates, along with numerous other fields (weather, day, time, etc.) in an Excel workbook (Excel 97 format). The coordinates are used to map the points, but there are thousands of points so obviously I need an automated method for what I'm trying to do.
    I still haven't figured out a way to accomplish this.
    Do you have any insight as to how I should go about doing it? Seems like you have a general idea.

I'm still learning GIS so if you could explain the steps relatively clearly, I would really appreciate it.

Geoff Appleby
    Answers Provided

I feel like I have an idea, but others may have better ideas :P

My instinct would be to create a point dataset (shapefile or feature class in a geodatabase) from the excel table using the X and Y coordinates. Hopefully you know the spatial reference of the points (I. e. latitude & longitude in degrees, or UTM coordinates in meters, etc...).

Open ArcCatalog, navigate to the excel table, and open it one level (double click) to show the worksheets. Find out which sheet has the data, right click, "Create Feature Class" from XY Table.

Choose the appropriate fields for the X and Y coordinates and the coordinate system, then save the feature class.

I'll stop there for now just to make sure we're on the same page. I'll have to do a bit of thinking for the rest of the steps based on how the data is formatted.

Let me know if that works.

Balazs Martai
    Answers Provided

I already have the map all drawn up with the data points and the 1 square mile polygons from the fishnet tool.
    I just need to figure out how to do the calculations within each polygon.
    This is so that we can narrow down where police should patrol for certain age groups.

Neil Ayres
    Answers Provided

First step would be to spatially join the polygons to the points. Then you have a polygon identifier attached to each point. (So you know which points are in which polygon).
    These can then be summarized in various ways using the poly ID as the grouping variable.
    The details of how you would get the stats you need for young drivers would depend on the content of your data.
    Cheers,
    Neil

Balazs Martai
    Answers Provided

Quote Originally Posted by GSCUser85 View Post
    First step would be to spatially join the polygons to the points. Then you have a polygon identifier attached to each point. (So you know which points are in which polygon).
    These can then be summarized in various ways using the poly ID as the grouping variable.
    The details of how you would get the stats you need for young drivers would depend on the content of your data.
    Cheers,
    Neil
    I'm assuming I can just google the different parts of these steps (like how to spatially join polygons to the points).
    Once they are attached, how do I use the poly ID as a grouping variable? As in, what tool would allow me to actually do the calculation of the percentage?

Darren Wiens

Answers Provided

Look into the Summary Statistics tool (case field = grouping field).

Neil Ayres
    Answers Provided

The Arc help files are also rather useful....
    http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/...0000000q000000
    Also the link to the summary stats tool in the previous post.

Balazs Martai
    Answers Provided

Every time I run the spatial join tool, it gives me the check mark showing that it worked. However, the layer itself never has anything in it in the attribute table. I'm using the Fishnet as the Target Feature, and the layer of crash data as the Join Feature.
    I also have a layer called COUNT in the crash data which I assume would be used to count the number of crashes in each polygon.
    I'm just really lost and I literally don't know how to do this, even with the responses you guys have given me. :/
    Hopefully this image will help clarify some things as far as what I'm trying to do.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	27595

The picture shows all of the different data in the crash layer, but the fishnet layer only has an FID, Shape, and Id (all equal to 0) columns. That is to say, they don't have any of the same columns as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by bgmartai; 09-19-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Balazs Martai
    Answers Provided

OK, so I'm trying a new way. I have the layers you can see in the picture. I'm trying to divide the sum of the Merged_Younger by the sum of the Merged_Polygon layer. However, since they are not rasters, Divide is not a working tool. Also, turning them into rasters and then using Divide does not give me a proper answer (in the picture it just gives me 0, and 1, I couldn't change the symbology).
    I was wondering how I could divide the values in the Younger layer by the values in the Polygon layer, keeping the fishnet layer properties intact. That is, I want the new layer's values to be just the ratios of younger drivers over all drivers.
    Any ideas?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	27604

+ Reply to Thread