+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reprojecting State Plane & GCS_GRS_1980 to WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere

Brian Durham
    Answers Provided

Default Reprojecting State Plane & GCS_GRS_1980 to WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere

We are attempting to reproject several raster and vector datasets from GCS_GRS_1980 to WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere. I have tried a several different transformations but each time there is a noticeable shift in the data. Does anyone know the correct transformation to use? Our data is mostly in the SE United States, mainly Georgia, South Carolina, & North Carolina. We also have a few datasets that span the entire USA.

I'm having the same problem determining the correct transformation from state plane (GA FT, SC Int FT, & NC FT) to web mercator. Any ideas?

Thank you very much in advance!
    Brian

Melita Kennedy

Answers Provided

Default Re: Reprojecting State Plane & GCS_GRS_1980 to WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by brianddurham View Post
    We are attempting to reproject several raster and vector datasets from GCS_GRS_1980 to WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere. I have tried a several different transformations but each time there is a noticeable shift in the data. Does anyone know the correct transformation to use? Our data is mostly in the SE United States, mainly Georgia, South Carolina, & North Carolina. We also have a few datasets that span the entire USA.

I'm having the same problem determining the correct transformation from state plane (GA FT, SC Int FT, & NC FT) to web mercator. Any ideas?

Thank you very much in advance!
    Brian
    Hi Brian,

I assume, because they're state plane, that the geographic coordinate systems are either NAD 1983 or NAD 1983 HARN (or both). Any NAD83 / WGS84 transformation should do minimal to no shifting, depending on which one is used. At worst, in that part of the country, they should differ by no more than a meter. Are you seeing shifts larger than that?

NAD_1983_To_WGS_1984_1 is a null transformation (parameters are zeroes). It assumes NAD 1983 and WGS 1984 are equivalent. That isn't true any more, so a more current transformation, NAD_1983_To_WGS_1984_5, does try to compensate for the current differences.

NAD_1983_HARN_To_WGS_1984 is another null transformation.
    WGS_1984_(ITRF00)_To_NAD_1983_HARN is similar to NAD_1983_To_WGS_1984_5.

Melita
    Melita Kennedy
    Sr. Esri Product Engineer

+ Reply to Thread